I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

the same difference?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 07, 2020 12:59PM

Other than the length and weight of a blank what PHYSICAL differences distinguish one rod blank from another - assuming physical differences can be measured?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the same difference?
Posted by: Matthew Schafer (---)
Date: September 07, 2020 01:04PM

Are you only talking about the physical properties? Not the characteristics?

I would break it down like this:

Physical properties: Weight, length, tip size, butt size, spine placement

Physical characteristics: Power and Action

Someone with more experienced will probably add more/correct me though lol.

-Matt

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 07, 2020 01:43PM

Hello All.

The most important thing that no one is told or talked too about is the number and type of flags (or patterns), and the taper of the mandrel used to build a rod blank.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 07, 2020 01:54PM

blank diameter
balance pint of blank before anything added
type and quality of materials
painted verses unpainted

high or low resonant frequency

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2020 01:56PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 07, 2020 02:21PM

Ferrule style / type

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: September 07, 2020 03:17PM

Color- From my recollection each manufacturer has their signature colors.Shakespeare wonder rods were white. Ugly sticks were clear tip black bottom. and CRB comes in a rainbow of colors. There were a lot of browns out there. I like the charcoal and greens.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 07, 2020 06:33PM

I was thinking about deflection caused by a specific amount of weight suspended from the tip, and maybe the resonant frequency of the bare blank. I believe these both reveal useful information about how the rod works, if not how it looks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2020 07:31PM

The deflection thing when used with a specific weight won't tell you anything because of the differing actions involve. You could easily have a more powerful blank deflect further then a less powerful blank by virtue of the different tapers of the rods involved. Not always, but often enough to be a problem. Then you also have the problem of what weight constant you're going to use - there is a wide variety of rods out there the same constant that would give good deflection on an ultra-light isn't even going to move a heavy power saltwater rod. Conversely, the weight you'd need to get any measurable deflection on a heavy power rod would destroy many light power rods. Using a given weight turned out to be a poor method. Cortland attempted this years ago and found these issues to be a problem. They quickly discontinued that method.

The better method for determining comparative rod power is to set a deflection amount, based on a percentage of a blank's overall length, and then weigh how much it takes to obtain that distance. Doing it this way you can be sure that as the required weight increases, so does the blank power. It's no coincidence that the CCS uses this method for determining comparative rod power.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: September 07, 2020 07:51PM

Steve Gardner Wrote:

> high or low resonant frequency

Wow! I am surprised to see this. 99.999999% of all people never think about this aspect of blank construction. I use to do live sound engineering for decades and so this is right up my alley...

This gets to the heart of blank construction which is not really the flag material so much as it is the binder or epoxy that holds it all together.

And, as with concrete, it gets harder over time, as does some epoxies. So resonant frequency can actually change over time as the rod blank epoxy gets harder and harder, its resonant frequency will rise in pitch as well.

One of my favorite rods when lightly tapped with something has a high pitched ring to it. I call it my crystal rod, while other name brand rods made by Loomis have a lower pitch, meaning a softer epoxy binder.

I have found that I prefer blanks with a higher resonant frequency than I do lower resonant frequencies. This is directly related to how sensitive a rod is or not. And how fast its response is.

Think of it like this... if you have a rubber band in your hand for a rod will it transmit vibrations from tip to butt well? The softer it is, or the lower the resonant frequency is, the less sensitive the rod will be in your hands. The stiffer it is, and harder the blank binder or epoxy is, the higher the resonant the frequency will be, and it will transmit vibrations entering the tip to the butt and hands much better.

It is kind of funny and ironic that some of the most expensive rods made today have low resonant frequencies, while one rod I am thinking of was made back in the 80's and sold for like $25 when new, and yet today that rod has the highest resonant frequency of any of my rods. And it was one of the first rods made by Don Mook in one of his new factories way back when... Don Mook built 2 of Gary Loomis blank factories, and built several others over the years...

Leave it to Don Mook on his own to make the crystal rod without Gary Loomis involved... it was actually Don Mook working for Brett Chapman who made this rod. One of a kind too! For a $20 rod it sure is awesome today! Sure wish I could find a second one.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: September 07, 2020 11:19PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Other than the length and weight of a blank what
> PHYSICAL differences distinguish one rod blank
> from another - assuming physical differences can
> be measured?

How it smells.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 08, 2020 09:03AM

Robert: I presume the smell you refer to is the smell of money. Not to worry. The bean counters and advertisers have got this one covered, no matter how the rod blank performs.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2020 12:48AM

No I'm weird and smell my blanks. Color me crazy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster