I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sand-blasting reel seats
Posted by: jim spooner (---)
Date: September 05, 2020 10:46AM

I do quite a bit of sculpting (skeletonizing) on my casting reel seats and thinking about sand-blasting them to get a better finish than I get by sanding/buffing. Any suggestions on what gun I need and type of grit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sand-blasting reel seats
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 05, 2020 11:20AM

Wouldn't glass beading be a better option? Just a thought. Harbor Freight has a portable one that will use many kinds of media including pecan shells.

Date: September 05, 2020 12:09PM

Thanks Spenser. I don't anything about glass beading, but I'll look into it.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: September 05, 2020 02:15PM

When I worked for Lockheed, one of my jobs was to prepare aluminum parts for painting (which I also did). We used a rectangular trash can, with a tall lid. One side of the lid had a square cut out of it, and a plexiglass iwndow glued over the opening. Inside were fine glass beads, and a wire hanger to hold the items that were to be treated, and the bead blasting gun. It was used to remove any and all corrosion from the metal before anodizing, and painting. We also sand blasted very large parts with garnet. Sand blasting creates a rough surface, while bead blasting gives you a much smoother surface. Caution! If you bead blast, you must wear food eye protection that seals to the skin, as a glass bead in the eye is very, very irritating, and impossible to see without dye, and special light so that it can be removed. I know this from experience.

For your purpose, as reel seats, and reel feet are made from aluminum, bead blasting will give you superior results. You can use the same gun as you would use for sand blasting.

Tight Lines and frisky fish.

RJF

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 05, 2020 02:16PM

Jim,
With the little experience I have with media-blasting, I would suggest using walnut (or pecan) shells. Glass beads are fairly aggressive and will probably leave a rougher finish, although you may prefer that. As with many rod building operations, test, test and test again prior to attacking the actual part. Hopefully others more qualified will answer to assist you further.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: September 05, 2020 03:52PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim,
> With the little experience I have with
> media-blasting, I would suggest using walnut (or
> pecan) shells. Glass beads are fairly aggressive
> and will probably leave a rougher finish, although
> you may prefer that. As with many rod building
> operations, test, test and test again prior to
> attacking the actual part. Hopefully others more
> qualified will answer to assist you further.

This sounds like a great idea. How to you pulverize the shells into a blasting medium?

Tight lines and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2020 04:41PM

Don't know if your familiar with reloading ammo. One of the steps is cleaning the fired brass cases. You use a tumbler with either corm cob or walnut hull media to clean and polish the brass. Walnut is more for polishing. The tumblers come in various sizes. A small one is all you would need for a few reels seats. All you need to do is drop the seats in fill with media, walnut would be the way to go for your application. Plug it in leave it run. Brass usually will shine up in four or so hours if not very dirty. Would think a reelseat would take way less time. Probable check every hour. You can pick up a tumbler from cabelas or basspro for about 50 bucks or so.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2020 05:19PM

You can buy the mediums in bags, whichever you use. They've used nut shells to clean things including jet and gas turbine engines for decades.

Date: September 06, 2020 08:44AM

Thanks, guys. Btw, the reel seats are plastic (polymer).

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: September 06, 2020 10:17AM

I am not sure if sandblasting works on polymer. I would be interested if any one has any experience with sandblasting polymer.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 06, 2020 03:08PM

Jim,
Spencer is correct; one cannot practically produce their own media. Another point to consider is the air pressure used. I strongly suggest purchasing a blasting setup with adjustable air pressure or purchase an additional pressure regulator; different air pressures will produce different results.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---)
Date: September 06, 2020 09:27PM

Redoing the deck on sportfishing boats is often done annually. I recall a sportboat in San Diego using course walnut shell bits mixed with either paint or FG resin. Great traction but @#$%& to pay if you somehow did and hit the deck. Pretty damn aggressive stuff. As for using it for blasting, I will defer to the knowledge of the others that posted responses. It just seems extra aggressive to me. That would also be dependent on the courseness of the shell bits I suppose as well as the desired results.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: September 06, 2020 11:47PM

Personally I would opt for tumbling in an application such as you are needing

Ron Weber

Date: September 07, 2020 10:17AM

Ron,
tumbling would be a challenge since these are completed rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster