I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KW guide sizes
Posted by: Albert Daddario (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2020 10:22AM

Building on a Lamiglas tri-flex 84 1m. I want to use KW guides.
This rod will be used to toss eels from shore. 14-20# Fireline.

Does.... 30-25-16-12-10-8 plus tip sound right??
Thanks very much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KW guide sizes
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2020 11:06AM

I assume this is a spinning build. What size reel are you using? You shouldn't need more than 3 or 4 guide sizes depending on the reel size. A couple great resources for learning how to work with builds utilizing fewer guide sizes resulting in lighter more efficient builds are:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[anglersresource.net]

Given that you are using Fireline, the KR concept can be a great place to start.

The KW series of guides is a low profile double foot design primarily for casting or conventional reels. A taller frame design will allow you to get by with smaller, lighter guides. Is there a reason for choosing such a stout frame design for this build? If your fishing environment is particularly abusive on your equipment, I get it, and you need to do what you need to do to get the job done. Otherwise, 14 - 20 lb line can work just fine with single foot guides.

If you still want to work with the KW guides, the original GPS software can help you with your selection and sizing:

[anglersresource.net]

Date: September 04, 2020 11:22AM

Thanks Joe
Yes, spinning rod using my Penn 4400SS.
Blank is rated 3/4 to 3 oz.
Very calm surf. I catch stripers 20-30 lbs.

Should I check into single foot?
I don’t want to do the micro guide thing.
Just a simple set up using good guides.

Thanks!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 04, 2020 03:41PM

Albert,
Joe offered very good advice; I agree with his statements. A 4000 series reel is starting to get fairly tall and the KWs are too short unless using a monster ring; better to go with a KL-H reduction train followed by 2-3 KBs and then KTs out to the top. Built to KR Concept specs, the rod will be considerably lighter, cast exceptionally well and the guides will be more than strong enough for a 20# rod. An added plus is that you will have half as many feet to wrap!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: September 04, 2020 05:03PM

Thanks so much Joe and Mark!

GPS says
20H - 10H - 6L
5 running guides,

Think I’ll go 6mm for the running guides.
Fuji says 6mm and up KT runners don’t need a belly guide.

I’ll finish with a size 6 tip.
All sound good?

Thanks again.
Albert

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2020 09:50PM

Sounds great! I think you'll be really impressed with how the rod handles with the lighter guide train.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 04, 2020 10:24PM

If you want to use KT 6 runners, you could also use KL20H, KL10H and KL7M as the reduction train, or KL25H, KL12H, and KL7M if you want to use monofilament, or heavier braid, or a larger reel. With either of these reduction trains you could use a KL6L as the choke guide for a little smoother transition to the runners if the rod has a moderate or moderate fast action. Here is a link to KR guide groupings.
[anglersresource.net]
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 05, 2020 01:34AM

Albert,
Anything Norman has to say about Fuji guide trains should be held in the same high esteem as if it were coming directly from Jim or Donny of Anglers Resource! Do not be afraid of using size 5 runners; I was at first thinking they were just too dang small. Yes, those tiny things are a PITA to wrap but they produce a very nice guide train. As for excluding the KBs, I run as many KBs as the diameter of the blank will allow; the extra width and length of the foot makes for a very secure guide and the additional, minimal weight is well warranted and virtually undetectable, but that is only my opinion.
Good luck and let us all know how the build turns out.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster