I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy brushes
Posted by: Gary Goldsmith (---)
Date: September 02, 2020 06:06PM

Any recommendations on epoxy bushes? Finishing up my second rod with cheap brushes and not super happy with the application. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy brushes
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2020 06:49PM

This seems to be a rather personal matter. A lot favor throw away brushes. A few favor a spatula (I haven't tried it).

I tend to build heavier salt water stuff with longer wraps. Therefore I want a wider brush. I like what would be called a bright and sometimes a flat, style of brush. Sable is really nice but taklon is okay for my needs and budget. IMHO better to go with a shorter and stiffer profile.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2020 06:54PM by Russell Brunt.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2020 06:53PM

I use inexpensive watercolor brushes from an art store. Loads of choices as to widths. I clean the with U-40 brush cleaner and/or acetone.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2020 07:16PM

Wide, flat ox hair brushes. Usually cost about a buck or buck and a half. Use U40 Brush Cleaner for storing them and they'll last quite a while.

Date: September 02, 2020 07:18PM

Thanks I was looking at 1/4 wide flat brushes at hobby lobby. They use them for acrylic and I'll paints. That work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2020 07:33PM by Gary Goldsmith.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2020 08:28PM

Yes.

Date: September 02, 2020 09:12PM

Thanks. Great place for quick answers for new builders like me. I appreciate it.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 02, 2020 09:30PM

Sometime when you're not too busy, and bored, go back a few years and read all the posts up to the present. You can hardly ask a question that hasn't already been covered. You can skip over the topics that don't interest you. Might save you some typing.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2020 07:20AM

I only build about two fly rods a year, now, and I just use the cheap throw-away brushes. I think I bought a big pack at a Dollar A Store.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 03, 2020 08:55AM

I use the more expensive brushes form Hobby Lobby and clean them when done

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 03, 2020 10:27AM

I have used brushes like these, or the ones from flex coat for years, with 0 issues.

One use only please.

Each time that I mix a new batch of finish, I use a new brush. When finished with a brush on one coat, I lay the brush on top of the plastic mixing cup that I use and I use the contents of the mixing cup to check on the progress of the finish getting hard. Never put a finger on a coat of finish that is on a rod and may not be cured. If soft, you have left your finger prints in the finish.

[www.walmart.com]

[flexcoat.com]

No need to deal with brush cleaning. No solvent, no fumes, no lost bristles from the brush and no clean up time. Just use and dispose.

I apply finish on my power wrapper, so I will often apply finish at 25-75 rpm, so the width of the brush is not terribly important. With a high speed finish application, it only takes two or three minutes for a perfect application of finish to the guide wraps and the butt wraps.
No need to dilly dally on each wrap. Apply the finish and let the turning rod smooth and level the finish.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 03, 2020 04:47PM

Agree with Phil E and Tom . I've never gotten good at the spatula thing, and the throw away brushes just don't allow me to get into the area of micros just beneath the ring. So I buy an assortment from an art store and have what I need for long areas, tiny areas, mid, etc. I just noted today that my wraps on size 4 KT's are less than 1/4 inch long. I have to have a small brush for that detail. If you remember to clean them with U40 they will last a long time.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2020 10:30AM

Our disposable brushes are great. Disposable doesn't mean bad quality. Roger Seiders designed our brushes to have fine bristles that are tightly packed and cut to 3/8". Here is a video of them in action with our spin wave technique.

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 10:52AM by John Cates.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2020 01:53PM

Please be wary of extra cheap hair brushes! I used one last year and my guide looked like a chinchilla after all the hair came off the brush. Yes that was after removing the “loose “ hair. I love the disposable flex coat brushes and the 1/2 ox hair also.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 04, 2020 03:13PM

I also love the Flexcoat brushes, and I reuse them. The bristles do not come out, they are fused into the handle.
Norm

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2020 10:01AM

John Cates Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our disposable brushes are great. Disposable
> doesn't mean bad quality. Roger Seiders designed
> our brushes to have fine bristles that are tightly
> packed and cut to 3/8". Here is a video of them
> in action with our spin wave technique.
>
> [www.youtube.com]

I do use Flex Coat brushes. My post above is totally wrong. I used to by dime store brushes. But, once I began use flex coat brushes, I never switched from them. They are very good brushes. I use them as disposable. You certainly have my endorsement, although it doesn't carry much weight. The best to you all.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: September 07, 2020 08:03PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agree with Phil E and Tom . I've never gotten
> good at the spatula thing,

An interesting topic. When I started building rods over 25 years ago, I applied epoxy with my own hand made spatulas. I found that I needed them in different widths and simply cut my own from any throw away plastic containers or product containers.

I find that with small plastic spatulas I can control flow and thickness well. Even wipe it off quickly and use it to remove unwanted epoxy. And, they are reusable too.

I have never even used a brush to apply epoxy. Guess that is one expense I have saved on through the years and decades... and the plastic source for my use is virtually endless. I use to save up various plastic containers to the point I had more plastic than I could ever use. So doing it this way has definitely saved me money.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 07, 2020 08:53PM

an exacto knife makes a great handle for holding small plastic spatulas that you have cut for different widths..easy to change to another size..

Date: September 07, 2020 09:43PM

I ended up buying an assortment of flat oil/acrylic paint brushes from hobby lobby. It was a real game changer for me. I'm also new at this but the control was better than the disposable ones I had.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster