I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dying Epoxy? DIY for Small Amount
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2020 03:35AM

Wonder if anyone can recommend easy cheap nothing fancy DIY way to dye a small amount of epoxy.

I glued up a NFC carbonfiber IPS grip. Was not liking the eva ends. Found the american tackle G2 grip winding checks fit the NFC grips perfectly. I finished the end of the rear grip and the butt with these. Unfortunately the smallest check was way larger than blank diameter.

So I used a masking tape bushing to position it then piled on rod bond. Plan was to glue up with rodbond to help fill the gap then go back later with rod finish or a clear liquid epoxy. Don't need any strength just want to fill the gap level it off. With the rod vertical will level off nice giving a nice finished edge to wrap against.

I was not thinking that the rod bond is going to show through my clear leveling/topcoat. Also the difference is not hidden by my thread wrap.

So any tips to dye epoxy or rod finish black when you only need maybe a 1/4 teaspoon? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dying Epoxy? DIY for Small Amount
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: September 01, 2020 08:54AM

I have used powder paints for jigs to dye rod finish successfully. Painting or using a water based marker and then finishing might also work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2020 09:20AM by Ross Pearson.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: September 01, 2020 09:26AM

Can also use the marbling pigment sold by Mudhole. You can also use the pigment in Testor’s enamel paint. Let the pigment settle out and remove the carrier. A very small amount is all that is necessary, I use a drop or two from the end of a tooth pick that was dipped into the pigment. The powder paint also works well.
Norm

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2020 03:21PM

Any dry pigment from an artist supply store also works.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 01, 2020 04:02PM

Chalk

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 01, 2020 04:48PM

I use black epoxy dye. It is thick, like heavy paint. A little bit goes a long way.

This is a complete set of dye:

[www.rockler.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Here is black epoxy pigment:

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: September 02, 2020 08:09PM

At one time, I worked for a major military contractor. We used two-part epoxy that had a shelf life. If the epoxy was beyond its usable date, it was either thrown away, or given to workers. I took some home. I had broken the taillight on my can. I looked up the cost of a replacement and the cost was ridiculous. I made a mold of the taillight lens with wax. I mixed the epoxy and added oil-based paste food coloring to get the taillight lens color. The epoxy set to the proper shape. I drilled mounting holes, and that epoxy lens lasted for years afterward. The paste food coloring didn't degrade the epoxy at all.

Paste food coloring, usually used to color icing, or frosting, is inexpensive, highly concentrated, and readily available. Just another option.

Tight lines and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: James Roper (---.klln.qwest.net)
Date: September 03, 2020 11:22AM

One of the best tints I have used is the Alumi lite tint for their casting resins. It mixes well with epoxy.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 04, 2020 04:06PM

Michael,
I agree with Norman and quite often tint finish epoxy to produce a very small trim ring. While I do not bother with allowing the pigment to settle and then remove the vehicle floating on top, it sounds to be a good idea. The tiny bottles of Testers do not take-up much room, come in a multitude of colors (even metallic) and won’t break the bank. Whatever is chosen for the pigment, make sure it is oil-based and NOT water-based!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2020 07:54PM

Not had time to get around to buying any of the options mentioned. So I did a trial run with on hand item. I took some natural lump charcoal and sanded some dust off with coarse sand paper. gradually mixed some into both rodbond and a batch of five minute epoxy. Both look fine five minute set no problem. Waiting for the rodbond to set but it appears to be on it's way as well.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 05, 2020 01:45AM

Michael;
I certainly do not see a problem with using charcoal dust; it could be considered poor-man’s-Carbon-fiber and who knows, the epoxy may be stronger than without the additional carbon! Henry Ford was quoted as saying “I don’t care what color my cars are as long as they are black”. Now if you were to find designer-color briquettes, you’d really be on to something!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster