I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Non Color Fast Nylon Thread
Posted by: Rick Shaffer (67.213.20.---)
Date: August 31, 2020 08:47PM

Probably discussed before....I'm a rookie, I've built about 8 rods...always used color fast thread, getting ready to thread wrap guides on a Metallic Blue MHX blank....from what I know....If I am using White Pro Wrap Nylon non color fast size A thread......it will take on the color properties of my blank...Is that true???? I'm thankful and appreciative of any advice. Just want to make sure before a mistake is made.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Non Color Fast Nylon Thread
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2020 09:22PM

It will, but it will not go totally clear. A search on this forum for threadless guide wrap or Pearsall Gossamer Silk should point you in the right direction. Pearsall silk is no more, so expect a small spool to cost as much as a modest rod blank these days. The technique involves thinning your finish with a few drops of acetone to get it to penetrate the thread better. I will say the Persall white silk on a blue blank looks fantastic. I did one on a rewrapped UL for my dad a number of years ago.

Before getting the Pearsall, I tinkered a bit with white silk from the craft store and size a white nylon. Neither went completely clear, but allowed the blank to show through quite well.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: September 01, 2020 12:20AM

If you want totally clear use Fishawk or YLI 212 Natural

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: September 01, 2020 09:42AM

Mudhole's plain nylon "RNS" thread goes nearly clear without CP on it when finish is applied. A blue to match your blank would probably disappear on the blank and have a faint blue tint over the guide feet, and could look sharp.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 01, 2020 10:18AM

Hitena, a sponsor to the left, sells a silk thread, and has a how to make an invisible wrap.
[hitenausa.com]
A friend of mine who is in the thread business said this Silk may work, it’s a sewing silk thread designed for hand sewing, and thus is not waxed for use in sewing machines.
[www.superiorthreads.com]
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 01, 2020 12:33PM

Whatever products and processes you use, do a few tests using them on scrap blanks, painted the color of you proposed blank, to see how they are going to look. Then you will have the least chance of a surprise.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: September 01, 2020 01:19PM

Most 212 silk will work. You for sure need to dilute that frist coat. I have done test coats by putting a 1/4 inch or so wrap on a pencils or pen in order to see how it turns out and how the underlying color comes through. Fishhawk 212 worked just fine for me.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2020 04:15PM

Regular Nylon, no matter the brand, in White will not go "clear" on any color blank. I use the Silk 212 YLI Natural on blanks that have some sort of color to them, whether it was a Translucent or Solid colored blank. The only time I stray away from this is when I have a "clear" Fiberglass Blank, like a McFarland, Kabuto or Livingston, then I use the Clover 401 Silk in white.

I do not thin my 2 part thread finish epoxy, I do not think it is necessary.

I would get some different brands of Silk in Natural and White, do some test wraps on your blank. You can do them where the grip will go, easy enough to cut them off and it will be hidden once the grip goes on or find a piece of scrap blank that is a close match to you blank and put them on that.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: September 01, 2020 04:52PM

Two keys to success; natural (NOT WHITE BUT NATURAL) silk and a thin as water first coat of spar or epoxy. 100 weight / 000 silk is better than 50 weight.

Do not make especially tight wraps and do not over pack.

Mix 3 cc each of your favorite lite epoxy finish resin and hardener for 3 minutes. Then add 3cc of acetone and mix for 2 minutes.

Throughly wet all wraps and take care not to trap air in the "tents" by the guide feet. Do not attempt to build up a finish with this first epoxy application - the viscosity is too low for that. Expect a very extended cure time.

Apply another but not thinned coat of epoxy to build up the finish.

Good luck.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2020 10:26PM

Do you want it to become transparent? Or to stay the same color that it is on the spool?

Posted by: Rick Shaffer (67.213.20.---)
Date: September 01, 2020 11:32PM

I would like for it to take on the same color as the blank....So I guess maybe I am wanting to get a translucent look vs transparent...it maybe necessary to get thread the same color as the blank...I'm not experienced enough to know for sure..

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: September 02, 2020 12:48AM

You need a lighter colorée thread than the Blank (thread will darken).

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2020 09:47AM

If you want a true transparent look, consider white silk for your thread.

Posted by: Rick Shaffer (69.77.100.---)
Date: September 02, 2020 12:08PM

I want to THANK everyone who has responded, all information is valuable to me....the knowledge that this forum has is a terrific benefit to those of with lesser rod building knowledge. Thanks again, to all of those that have responded, I am sincerely appreciative for your sharing of your expertise.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: September 03, 2020 06:45PM

You can always do a test wrap with or with out the guide and just wet the thread with water. Then you know what your going to get when you apply
the finish.

Posted by: Marcos Rodriguez (---)
Date: September 15, 2020 11:18PM

Silk will make it look like a floating guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster