I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Football finish or barely noticeable
Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: August 31, 2020 09:43AM

So far all of my rods I have built, a whopping 7 total have been a little heavy on the finish, classic football shape I guess, not huge but about the same as a St. croix or other top of the line store bought. My pee brain logic is a little more epoxy, better hold on the guide. So am I correct or do you guys wipe off most of the finish after applying. I followed Tom's tutorial video and it greatly improved my finish skills, before I was trying to " brush the finish" instead of just applying it and let the finish do its job. This does in my case leave the football style finish when completed. I don't mind the look but am wondering if this inhibits the performance of the rod, IE-sensitivity in any way as I could certainly wipe some of it back off after rotating the rod. Thoughts and expertise are greatly appreciated as always.

Keith Langford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Football finish or barely noticeable
Posted by: Brian Gross (50.226.78.---)
Date: August 31, 2020 09:57AM

I move the epoxy right before it starts to get tacky to get rid of any footballing, also 2 lights coats helps vs one thick coat.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: August 31, 2020 10:30AM

While checking the wraps for dry spots immediately after applying the finish, if there's a bit too much finish on a wrap I "wick it off" by holding the side of a dry brush below the wrap and barely touching the wet finish while the rod is turning. This will draw off the excess finish without disturbing/over-brushing the finish.

The finish is there to protect the thread wraps - no strength advantage to adding more than needed to do that and to look nice.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2020 11:38AM

The best avenue is to try and not put on so much to begin with. One easy way to do this is to use a slightly stiffer brush than what you have now, or to trim what you have now to a shorter length. The effect will be the same.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 31, 2020 12:02PM

on rods that are used to free hung lures in heavy cover i use epoxy heavily on the guide wraps..all other rods get three or four coats of a one part CP/ finish which is still much lighter than one coat of epoxy especially if the first coat is a saturation coat..

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 31, 2020 01:23PM

Keith,
I use standard Flex Coat finish.

About 90% of my rods are finished in 1+ coat of finish.

I coat a rod quickly. I use my power wrapper to spin my rod at speeds up to 50 - 75 rpm when applying finish. I start at the grip and apply a generous coat of finish to be sure that there is enough finish that all of the wraps and guide feet will be well coated.

I don't do any wicking or brushing off finish at this point. i.e. I do the first pass on finish and seldom slow the rod, except when I am doing the tunnel and under the guide ring on a well hung over guide ring.

Then, on the way back, I use my heat gun, to slightly warm the finish - which thins the finish and allows everything to fill and coat well. At that time, I will wick off any extra finish that might cause a foot ball.

Once, I have gone over the guides a 2nd time, I do one more final inspection to be sure that every guide is perfect - adding a touch of finish here or deleting a touch of finish there - if necessary. Then I transfer the rod to a single or multi drum dryer for over night drying.

After coming off the dryer, I do one more 100% inspection to insure perfect guide alignment and perfect finish. If there is any error any where, I will do what is needed to correct the issue. But, in about 90% of the cases, the rod is complete and will be shipped out that or the following day.

By being able to use a single coat of finish that turns out perfect, I eliminate all but one over night drying cycle.

Be safe

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: August 31, 2020 02:38PM

Thank you for the shares. What about the different level on double footes guides when I use an underwrap?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 01, 2020 04:55PM

Jeffery,
What is your primary reason to do an under wrap?

Otherwise, to take care of the underwrap, just stop the rod from turning when you apply finish to the area under the guide ring - if that is your question.

Date: September 02, 2020 09:08PM

Decorate. I love the looks of that. So I'm laying the under wrap, epoxy, then the guide. That's how I get uneven heights.

Date: September 02, 2020 09:08PM

Decorate. I love the looks of that. So I'm laying the under wrap, epoxy, then the guide. That's how I get uneven heights.

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: September 02, 2020 11:05PM

I just have done a handful of builds, with varying results.

I don't have the experience or understanding of the hobby to make suggestions, but I will point out something I noticed.

I was wondering about why loading the brush with epoxy yielded different coverage on wraps until I did the simple math to calculate surface area of - for example- 10 centimeters of rod near the grip and the same length near the tip and was really surprised at the difference.

The result - for me- was footballs as I approached the tip because I was loading the same amount of epoxy for each wrap as I moved along the rod, and applying all of it without taking into account the surface area.

Roger, I believe I've seen your video about applying epoxy at a fairly high rotation speed. That is cool and and logical.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 03, 2020 09:13AM

Keith
To answer your question:
Anything you add to a blank diminishes sensitivity, action, and crispness of the blank

more epoxy then needed
larger guides then needed
more thread then needed
longer fore grips then needed

only increase those losses!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster