I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Point Blank for Topwater
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: August 30, 2020 08:42PM

Could someone give me an idea of which blank would make a really good topwater casting rod, not frogs but twitch, popping style, popr, chug bug, smaller walking baits, devil horse. Thank you.

Keith Langford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Point Blank for Topwater
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 30, 2020 09:27PM

What length?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 31, 2020 01:03AM

The PB691MLXF, or PB69MXF, myself the MXF, the tip is light enough for most stuff.

Date: August 31, 2020 06:08AM

Lynn, Prefer something in 7' or 7'3" if that is possible. If the 6'9" is the best option than I can go with that.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 31, 2020 08:54AM

I also like both the PB691MLXF, and the PB691MXF, both are great for top water and all around use. They are two of my favorites. For me a longer rod is not as good for working a top water lure with the tip down.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 31, 2020 08:57AM

I have the PB731MXF and it works well for everything. But for twitching surface lures I believe that the 6-9 and 7-0 models will work just fine, especially if you're twitching tip down. Select the one whose power matches best your expected lure weight range and use mono or a mono leader, not FC which sinks and screws up the action of many surface lures.

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: August 31, 2020 09:35AM

PB691MXF it is. Thank all of you as usual.

Posted by: benjie bates (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 31, 2020 10:21AM

i have all the 73's but went with a 7ft mh point blank for my topwater rod. plan to throw mostly 1/2 to 3/4oz. 9inch fuji bga full length cork handle

great little rod

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 31, 2020 12:19PM

Keith, I built two of those for my son; he loves them for anything he does with a BC.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 31, 2020 06:28PM

Keith, these guys have you covered, you'll like your choice.

Date: August 31, 2020 07:45PM

I believe you are correct Lynn, Michael I spool all of my rods with braid and either fluro or mono leaders. I like mono for the topwater and spinnerbaits, fluro for everything else. These rods with the steez reels on them are all incredibly light and balanced extremely well, I am very pleased with all the ones I have built so far, including the cork handles i made out of some very nice and colored burl rings. Again thank you all. Now I just need a boat, sold mine to build the wife this new house.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.qwest.net)
Date: September 01, 2020 10:16AM

Tip down...PB661MXF or PB691MXF. Other....PB701MF

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: September 02, 2020 05:15PM

I also like a shorter rod for walking baits. I'm short and a long rod can touch the water. 6'6" for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster