I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC salt water blanks?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 30, 2020 11:57AM

I would like to take advantage of the sale and treat myself. But I don’t fish very much for bass. I’d like something more for kingfish, black fin tuna, and/or dolphin. I did inquire on one of their previous posts but didn’t get an answer.

So, have any of you tried their inshore or offshore offerings? Any suggestions for me needs? I could settle for a mutton snapper blank.

If I have to go bass rod would one of the X-ray blanks handle smaller snook in tight cover?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC salt water blanks?
Posted by: Jon Kistler (---.97.100.191.res-cmts.leh2.ptd.net)
Date: August 30, 2020 03:34PM

Russ,

I like the BB 809-1 (IM LMX) for bottom fishing off the Jersey coast in 50-200' of water. My wife prefers the Pelagic 705-1 (SM LMX) for the same but she'd rather a 7' rod.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 30, 2020 07:21PM

When I got stationed in Florida all I had was my backbouncers, hot shot, and salmon/steelhead drift and mooching rods when I first got there. I caught a lot of kingfish, snappers, tuna, amberjack, spanish, dorado, etc. on those rods. Backbouncers were 7 1/2 ft. rods back than and I used them to jig salmon jigs, bait and other presentations on wrecks and structure a lot. Later they were used for fishing some pretty good sized swimbaits for big bass, so I wouldn't discount the value of today's swimbait rods/blanks in your search. Like Jon above I've also used some of the G Loomis saltwater sticks, even on oversized white sturgeon over 8 ft. long, so I wouldn't think you'd have any problems with the NFC blanks, Gary has been making saltwater blank designs for many decades. Can't remember the series the Loomis blanks were, they weren't listed like Jon's offerings, they were listed by length plus line class, he made the Pelagic, Hybrid, and I think one other back in the early 80's.

Posted by: Chris Morilla (---)
Date: September 01, 2020 06:08PM

The silverback series looks interesting for bottom fishing, but not much info out there about them. All the bad press about their customer service has kept me from ordering any.

I’ve been using the United composites stuff and have zero complaints.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: September 02, 2020 05:47PM

What pound test of the line you plan to use, what weight you plan to cast - or what size/type lure or bait do you plan to troll or cast? You will have to make some compromises, but that's always the case in rod choice. Anyway, the more specific the details the better the advice.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 03, 2020 12:17AM

Phil, 15-20# range. Won't be casting lures but "lobbing" bait. Could be anything from a Spanish sardine to a goggle eye. No trolling, but free lining live baits (sometimes under a balloon). Basically want something light you can hold....as opposed to a boat rod intended to be in a rod holder.

Maybe I'd do better to contact Edge and then figure out what blank the rod is built on.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 03, 2020 10:11AM

Hello Russell.

For live bait or lobbing sardines, or even small (4-5") squid at the 20# class, I like hot shot blanks.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 03, 2020 05:34PM

Robert, I like hot shot blanks too.

If I could get one a little more powerful than the HS1023F in a 7 foot blank I'd be all over it.

Bigeye scad (goggle eye) and Redtail scad (speedos) are really too much to toss on the hot shot blanks. I use a lot of blue runners (hardtails) too and they can get pretty big as well.

If I could get a NFC blank equivalent to a SC5 (or even SC3) in anything from 10 -20# to 15-30# range and get a equal/better blank at a lower price I'm very interested. The old Loomis had a "Bucara" series that would be about what I'm looking for.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 04, 2020 12:10AM

Additional information
Reviews (0)

Weight
3.5 oz

Remastered

HS981 IM6

Power

Mag Medium

Tip

remastered

HS981 IM6

Pieces

Lure Weight

3/8-4

Line Weight

10-20

Butt

Length

Action

Ex-Fast

Additional information
Reviews (0)

Weight
3.5 oz

Remastered

HS981 IM6

Power

Mag Medium

Tip

remastered

HS981 IM6

Pieces

Lure Weight

3/8-4

Line Weight

10-20

Butt

Length

Action

Ex-Fast

Hello Russell.

How about a NFC HS 821-1??HS 821-1 (SM LMX) Classics, Salmon/Steelhead $152.10 Ex-Fast 0.6 98 3/8-4 , line weight listed as 10-20.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Billy Westcott (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 19, 2021 12:56PM

Hey John. Do you think the NFC BB-809 will handle big stripers drifting eels with 10oz of lead?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster