I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Generation 4...very user friendly
Posted by: Jon Kistler (---.97.100.191.res-cmts.leh2.ptd.net)
Date: August 29, 2020 05:33PM

I'd consider myself a novice/hobbyist rod builder. I've finished about 2 dozen rods over 10 years. During that time, I've struggled with achieving the "perfect" finish. I've read about and watched videos about every brand finish on the market and how "easy" and "perfect" each one finishes. Well, let me tell you, I felt pretty disgusted until I finally settled on a product marketed by a sponsor to the left. Though I could finally "settle" on a finish that satisfied me I still didn't consider my finish perfect. Soooo...when I read about Generation 4 here a few weeks ago, I sought out a different sponsor to the left to give it a try. I'm VERY pleased with the results. For me, Generation 4 smooths easily. It has a workable pot life and cures firmly. If you're not happy with the finish you're using now, I would encourage you to give it a try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2020 09:41AM by Jon Kistler.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Generation 4...very user friendly
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 29, 2020 11:44PM

Hello Jon.

Did you mean to the left ? ?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Jon Kistler (---.97.100.191.res-cmts.leh2.ptd.net)
Date: August 30, 2020 09:43AM

Aaahhh yes...pardon me...the list to the LEFT.

...I guess being associated with the left just goes against me...

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 30, 2020 09:51AM

Let's not start a political argument here. Not allowed.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 30, 2020 10:19AM

Your term "rod finish" - do you paint the entire blank with this product, or just thread wrappings?

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s1358.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: August 30, 2020 10:39AM

“Generation 4 smooths easily”

Jon, I’ve worked with regular and lite build Gen 4 epoxy and think your words explain how it levels perfectly. That, and how it releases bubbles, have convinced me to use Gen 4 going forward.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2020 12:07PM

I am also a recent convert to Gen 4 finish. I tried the Standard Viscosity first, Andy explained out what the pro's to this finish would be, and he was spot on. It has a longer working time, set up time seemed to be a bit sooner than Threadmaster, the bubble release is much better (if you happen to get a few when you mix). It is water clear, and you can see a notable difference between this finish and other brands when applied, especially on a "clear" fiberglass blank, the other brands have a slight amber tint to them when compared side by side with Gen 4, the Gen 4 really gives a glass like finish.

The big take for me, I did find it was much easier to get a level application on a large covering, like where you would apply a logo decal or cover a factory silk screen.

The only down side, if you want to call it one, is that it does take a bit longer to mix up the two parts, I could get Threadmaster to mix by 3 min, Gen 4 takes about 5 min. No big deal to me.

I also tried the lower Viscosity Gen 4, while it has all the same pro's as the Regular Gen 4, I don't really see a need for it, you can still apply a light covering with Gen 4 Regular build.

Andy did send me pictures of Gen 4 applied to a sheet of Glass with about 6 other brands of finish on it, he went on to tell me that it had been left out on the roof of his house for several months (lives in Texas) to test the UV resistance, Gen 4 was was still water clear while the other brands had varied states of turning yellow.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 30, 2020 06:48PM

No Phil, just the wraps and butt deco region.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 30, 2020 06:50PM

Bill , how did you conclude that it takes longer, 5 min, to mix?

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2020 08:05PM

With regard to the other finishes I have used, Threadmaster and Aftcote, it typically took 3 min to get it "streak free", with the Gen 4 it took 5 min. The Gen 4, one part is water clear, the other has a light blue tint to it so it was really easy to see when it went streak free and water clear, just took a couple of min longer. Andy did say that it would take a bit longer to mix. I mix by hand and I have not had any curing issues mixing 3cc of each for 5 min.

I my opinion, the viscosity of the Regular Build is between Threadmaster and Threadmaster Lite. With the way I apply my finish, 2 coats did the job, first coat is just to soak the wraps and a base coat for a signature or decal application, look for any "bad spots" that need to be sliced off with a razor blade, then a final coat.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: August 31, 2020 12:43PM

I had previously used Threadmaster One, and had been pleased with the results. However, a few years down the road, with very limited use, and the main rod stored in its tube, I inspected the tread wraps, and decal covering. I noticed htat the product had begun to peel at the edges, and was easily peeled away. I decided to try Gen 4 on my newest build. I made some minor mistakes, and one not so minor. Evidently, I hadn't made sure all of the edges of my decal were securely boded to the rod blank. When i applied the Gen 4 over the decal, one edge lifted dramatically, creating an uncomfortable, and unsightly ridge. I let the finish fry for two days, then used a fine file to remove the edge. Of course this was not good looking. I washed the area with isopropyl alcohol, and let the area dry. I applied another coat of the Gen 4. It completely filled the file marks, and made a glass-like finish over the cecal, even where it had been filed. It looks as though it had been done perfectly the first time.

I am impressed with the Gen 4 product. It self levels perfectly, qnd after a moment or two, there are no discernable bubbles. I have glassy coating on my thread wraps, and decal. Now, if it just holds up over time, I will consider it the best thread wrap coating. Also, it didn't affect my thread colors at all.

Tight lines and frisky fish
RJF

Posted by: John Sansevera (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2020 09:11AM

All this talk of Generation 4 finish has perked my interest. Where does one buy it. Been using flex coat for almost 40yrs with no complaints but always keeping an open mind to new products.

Posted by: Ben Graham (---.lecnet.com)
Date: September 02, 2020 10:06AM

I bought mine from GetBit, but I'd like to know who else has it. I've used FlexCoat in all three versions, prokote, and now Gen4. It's going to be my goto from now on. Prokote is thin, smells bad, and takes a long time to dry, but it is great for soaking wraps on the first pass when you are in no hurry for the next coat. I haven't tried the Gen4 low viscosity. That may replace the Prokote for me. I still have a large bottle of FlexCoat high build. I'll probably keep some of that around because it is great when you need to build an area up. It thins out well with heat even when you need more time and a batch is starting to thicken. The resin itself is bad about thickening in the bottle. Gen4 bubble release and lack of bubbles period is far superior to anything I've used so far. It still requires a little babysitting to get rid of the craters that can form when it's just been applied. Probably similar to FlexCoat or a little better. Way better than Prokote on that, which is why I try not to use Prokote on anything but thread. Never for a final coat. I usually apply finish before going to bed and don't have time to watch it dry. Nothing like waking up to what you thought was your final coat and it be full of craters.

Ben Graham
JG2 Custom Rods
@jg2rods

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (168.149.215.---)
Date: September 02, 2020 02:31PM

Pretty much all epoxy finishes are user friendly if used with manufacturers directions. It's when we do the human things, adding to it with our ideas(or those from others) that we encounter difficulties. Shortcuts and extra steps can backfire on us.
Don't get me wrong, I started with varnishes and moved on to Tenaco and Fullerplast before FlexCoat became the standard. I've also tried others since then. I still use some for different reasons. At some point I may even try Gen4. Aside from clarity, or non yellowing if you prefer, especially after years on a rod, they pretty much accomplish the same thing. They are all self leveling. Every product has it's window of optimum application. All products will do as is required. It's more a matter of making efficient use of that window to accomplish ones goals. Epoxy finishes are like water. They seek their own level and adapt to fit their container.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster