I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

AERO seat questions
Posted by: Andrew Westermier (---.clma.centurylink.net)
Date: August 28, 2020 06:58PM

Hello,

I'm planning a spinning build (dropshot rod for bass) and am considering the AT AERO seat. This will by my first spinning build, and I haven't handled an AERO seat or something similar.

Does anyone know of a factory rod with this style of seat that I can go handle? I see that BPS has a couple of their branded rods with a hump that somewhat resembles the AERO hump, but that's the closest I have found.

What diameter does the rear grip need to be to fit in the seat? American Tackle has rear ODs listed on their site, but I'm not sure where that's measured. I'm planning to use NFC's soft tough grips (the split grip) on a casting build, so I was wondering if that grip would neatly fit in either size of the aero.

Last, can you describe the comfort finish they put on the reel seat?

I appreciate any help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AERO seat questions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2020 08:57PM

You can get with Am Tack, but when I was using the Aero grip in the past the 17 mm size was the only one that accepted a standard 1 inch diameter grip, the 16 mm was sized to where quite a few people were using foregrips to fit inside the 16mm for a split grip.
Now take a look at the Edge Rods site, you'll see the casting and spinning reel seats all fit flush to the grips whether they are the Black Widow tube grip, or the First Strike foam core grips, they are both standard 1 inch diameter grips and so is the comfort grip you're talking about. This is a design that comes from the old Wiebe reel seats that were on so many of the G Loomis rods over the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2020 09:19PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 29, 2020 11:07AM

The Aero comfort grip 16 mm is my seat of choice on a lot of my spinning rod builds. This is a very comfortable reel seat. I found the 17 to be too big and not as comfortable. What I do is when someone wants a spinning rod built is give them one of my rods with that grip and one with a regular spinning seat. 90% will go for the Aero.

The rear is made to fit a .990 diameter grip. Not sure the NFC will fit that. If you use cork you can make it work but not a grip like carbon fiber or Winn. There are specific grips available at Mud Hole to fit that reel seat. You can visit my website and see the rods with the Aero reel seat if you like

tomscustomrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2020 11:09AM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: John Keough (---.static.acsalaska.net)
Date: August 29, 2020 12:43PM

I put there Aero on just about every rod I build. There is nothing I have found more comfortable even the look alike don't come close. American Tackle has a new G2 carbon grip that fits right into it. If you get this with a cct Aero you will have the most sensitive dropshot rig on the planet.

Posted by: Andrew Westermier (---.clma.centurylink.net)
Date: August 29, 2020 10:58PM

Thanks for clearing up the grip diameter for me.

I forgot about those G2 grips, those would fit the bill for the look I'm going for.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 01, 2020 11:02PM

Tom,
I think you read the specs wrong, the 16 mm has a .99 OD not ID, the pocket when I measured it some time ago was 24mm, or .93 inches. The first time I used one I had to use the .920" ID Texalium tube, instead of the .980" tube that fits with a casting reel seat and the 17 mm Aero.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2020 01:17PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom,
> I think you read the specs wrong, the 16 mm has a
> .99 OD not ID, the pocket when I measured it some
> time ago was 24mm, or .93 inches. The first time I
> used one I had to use the .920" ID Texalium tube,
> instead of the .980" tube that fits with a casting
> reel seat and the 17 mm Aero.

Spencer you are right that I read the specs wrong. At my age I am happy to be able to read!!!

However my comments were based on the diameter of the grips as listed on Mud Hole that are intended to fit the Aero seats not the reel seat specs. According to the website cork or Eva to fit into the rear of a 17 mm Aero is shown to be 1.08 and a 16mm is .998. On the winn grips that can't be sanded is .990 for the 16 mm Aero

I would like to try that reel seat with the new American Tackle G2 carbon handle, looks pretty good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster