I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Replacing guides
Posted by: Jarrod Lowe (---)
Date: August 28, 2020 08:41AM

New to rod building. Just stripped down a old rod all the guides where good except 1. How dow i figure out the size guide i need to replace. Also for future rod building how do you figure out what size guides to use on builds. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacing guides
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 28, 2020 10:17AM

Measure t'he OD of the ring in mm (or convert from inches). That is the ring size. Go through suppliers' catalogues to find the most similar guide.

The best advice on runners (the small ones out on the rod) is to use the smallest you can which will pass the knots you plan to use AND are not so small they will ice up if you plan to fish in freezing weather. Or if there is a lot of fuzz from trees on the water you might want to go a little larger than the knot requirement.

For cast most use a double foot about a 10 mm or the Fuji RV in 6 mm. For cast I use the Fuji followed by runners KB and KT in size 5.5.

For spin I use the software on anglersresource.org in the left column of sponsors, the KR software, not the other one. The software will tell you the size of KLH guides to use and the spacing. Set the spacing of the runners using software at that site, the 2 line stress test method. Don't think that a one line method is easier because 1 line is fewer than 2. The 2 line method is better and with it the guides do not take the load of stressing the blank, so they don't have to be as secure. This is big if you use very small guides. I use size 4.5 KB and KT for runners.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 28, 2020 10:18AM

Jerrod,
Keep stripping.
Remove all of the guides and install a new modern guide set and all will be well.

A lot of articles in the forum library about guide types and sizes.

Take care

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 28, 2020 10:18AM

Jerrod,
Keep stripping.
Remove all of the guides and install a new modern guide set and all will be well.

A lot of articles in the forum library about guide types and sizes.

Take care

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.net.kent.edu)
Date: August 28, 2020 11:05AM

For spinning rods, the reel will play an important role in determining the spacing:

This is the technique I use for my personal builds with mono:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Another variation, and a great choice for rods with limp lines, particularly braid:
[anglersresource.net]

For a one size fits all approach, the Amtak Microwave system works very well:
[www.americantackle.us]
The important part is the first 3 guides from the reel:
Stripping guide = 19 ½ “ = 49.53 cm
Transition guide = 30 ½ “ = 77.47 cm
Running guide = 39 7/8 “ = 101.28 cm

For casting rods, the butt guide should be sized appropriately. If you actually use the fore grip and need to keep the line off of your hand, the butt guide should have a frame that is tall enough to keep the line off your hand. If you are using a wide spool reel, the butt guide should have a large enough diameter to prevent the line from stacking in one area on the spool. For modern low profile reels, you can build with all the same size guide, as your line passes through a 3mm or 4mm guide before leaving the reel. I often start with a double foot guide and then go to single foot guides to the tip.

For spacing guides on a casting rod, fly rod, or the running guides on a spinning rod, a static test is the way to go:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

When it comes to choosing guide sizes, you need to be sure that your line and any leader knots or other connections can pass through your guides. If no knots need to pass, you can go really small with the guides.

Any time that you have a particular build in mind and are unsure of what to use, ask here. Give some specifics, species of fish, techniques used, line type and size, blank type or model, etc. and the guys here will point you in the right direction.

Posted by: Jarrod Lowe (---)
Date: August 28, 2020 11:21AM

Thanks for all your help very helpful thanks

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2020 05:48PM

Jarrod,

For spinning rods you can not go wrong with the Anglers Resources' "Guide Placement Software". You'll find it at their website located at:

[anglersresource.net]

Also, click on the upper right hand corner of the first page, "OPEN MENU" and see'll see all kinds of demonstrations on How To....

It works great!
Don

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2020 05:52PM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: August 28, 2020 07:27PM

Anglers resource is a very informational about guides and spacing. My personal preference for spinning rods is Micro Wave, truly the cat's meow!!

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: August 31, 2020 10:57AM

Hi Jarrod,
"How dow i figure out the size guide i need to replace. Also for future rod building how do you figure out what size guides to use on builds".
In sponsor to the left, Jan's Netcraft has a button towards the top of the homepage labeled parts sizing. On the fourth page of the chart is a guide and tip top sizing chart that may help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster