I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod wrapper parts - help please
Posted by: Ben Graham (---.lecnet.com)
Date: August 27, 2020 04:21PM

I've read some posts that say some of the different brands of rod wrapper tracks are interchangeable. I have an old CPW with 15' of track (only 9' in use), 5 clear plexi stands (which are all used), and the 2 spool plexi carriage. I want to set up a second hand wrapper without a lot of expense using 6' of track. The official CPW parts are expensive. What can I get by with if I want to buy maybe 3 new stands and a carriage? I think I want to put the new carriage on my power unit and move the one I have to the hand wrapper. I would like the type where the spool itself is tightened and horizontal instead of the pinch type. I think that would be an improvement, especially on metallics. So what are your suggestions?

Thanks,

Ben Graham
JG2 Custom Rods
@jg2rods

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2020 09:56AM by Ben Graham.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod wrapper parts - help please
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2020 08:31PM

I've been using the Mudhole CRB hand wrapper with the aluminum track for the last few years, and it works well. For the price of some of the CPW parts, you could get the track supports and thread carriage. According to the Mudhole site the rolling carriage is compatible with the PacBay and other tracks, which use the same base track as the CPW, I believe.

The new CRB 2 and 4 spool thread carriages look very appealing to me.

Posted by: Ben Graham (---)
Date: August 27, 2020 10:28PM

Yeah, I like the way the CRB looks. I’ll probably give it a try.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 27, 2020 10:41PM

Ben,
I am just curious.
Do you ever use more than one color of thread at a time?

If not, why does one need a thread carriage that carries more than one color thread.

Just wondering.

For myself, I have wrapped hundreds of rods, but I never use Metallic thread for the main thread. I just refuse to do it. Rather, I use nylon thread for the main wraps and use metallic for the trim, but I just use 2 foot pieces of thread, that I hold with my hands to maintain tension when doing trim wraps and it works well.

I use the spring loaded disk style thread tension device that is identical to the millions of sewing machines use around the world every day to construct clothing. If it works to sew clothing, it will certainly work to build fishing rods.

But, in a nut shell this type tension device does NOT work at all with metallic thread. You just end up with a mess of frazzles and dazzles if you try to use such a device with the metallic thread.

For myself, I use a 10 foot piece of aluminum channel for my wrapper base and the thread and its mount just slides along the back of the channel sliding on the counter top bench top with its nylon base. Easy, simple and fool proof.

But, everyone has different needs, and if you need something different to build the type rods that you wish to build; then by all means obtain what you need and use it.

p.p.s.
I used the spring and washer type tension device for thread for a couple of rods, but I hated it. I found that I could not get even and easily adjustable tension because of the differences in some thread spools, labels and similar issues. I also did not like the time that it took to change a thread spool to a different color when needed. I also tried a tension device that used magnets with very negative results. Perhaps there are users of magnets for tension devices that work well. All that I can say, is Congratulations. I could never get things dialed in right for the way that I wanted the tension to work for myself.

As is always the case; building a rod is a personal experience with personal likes and dislikes - which is wonderful. That is what makes the world interesting. It is the differences that folks have that allow the world to grow and continue to be an interesting place to live. Different folks do things differently, and each of them enjoy doing the things that they do in the way that they do them.

Best wishes on your search.

--------------------------
But if you want a track, there a lot of aluminum supply houses that build and supply aluminum extrusions in all shapes, sizes and lengths. Many of them at extremely reasonable prices.

As one of the actors on one of the reality show says, "Hop on the Inter Web and let your fingers on the keyboard of your computer do your searching."

Also, depending on what you want, if you live in a city - go to the steel yards and find the aluminum suppliers of new and surplus aluminum. Every now and then, one can find the perfect material that you need in a length and shape that you can use.

When you look at the commercial tracks that are sold with power wrappers made of aluminum; virtually every one of them has been produced by an aluminum extrusion machine and foundry. Find the factory source for the tracks, channels and bases and you can likely obtain everything that you need at a very competitive price.

Best wishes.

Date: August 27, 2020 11:12PM

I have an extra 6' of the track I can use. Original post was unclear. My 11yr old is mostly going to be using the new setup. My old wooden hand wrapper has outlived its usefulness And just frustrates him. I use metallic a lot for the main thread. Some metallics are useless for that, but some work well. The Fuji and ProWrap metallics work fine, even the twists, I’m wrapping one with Electra now. PacBay is no good for anything but cutting in strips for trim. I do a lot of underwraps for offshore rods in metallic. The longer the wrap, the more chance for the metallic to mess up in the tensioner. I’ve been at this a couple of years. I’ll should hit a hundred in the next month or two. I normally don't put two spools on the drop-on type carriage I'm using. The double-end I want, I'd probably set up the main and trim color and leave them both on until I'm done with a rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2020 10:10AM by Ben Graham.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: August 28, 2020 09:48AM

Check with Utmost for the track and thread carriage. They had boxes of them. I know the track sections may have to be drilled for connections but the their cost was stupid cheap.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (168.149.215.---)
Date: September 01, 2020 12:49PM

While I can't speak to the ability to interchange components between the manufacturers of the components and track sections, I have a thought. Take your unused 6' section and cut it into three pieces. Use each of these for a base of newly purchased rod supports. The track sections can then be aligned in a fashion by using inexpensive wood strips or even lengths of aluminum, or other material. It can be as cheap as you like and just as effective. You can buy CPW rod supports from a sponsor of this site, or a gentleman on Facebook that makes them. I don't know for sure, however I believe he makes them to fit CPW tracks as well as others. This idea also lends itself to upgrading from hand, to power wrapping down the road if you wish to. Just my 2 cents...

Posted by: Ben Graham (---.lecnet.com)
Date: September 02, 2020 10:16AM

Chuck, I'm not sure what you mean. It turns out that I have a 4' and 3' section to spare, and I have the original plates to join the pieces. That leaves me with 8' on the power wrapper, which is usually plenty. I don't know why I would cut the other pieces any more than they already are. I need a continuous section for the thread carriage to ride on, and 7' is plenty. The stands go on the other part of the track and you just slide them where you want and lock them down. On the power wrapper, I usually place them about every two guides, and I don't have to move them until the rod is wrapped unless I need to move the one at the tip a little. That's what I want to do on the hand wrapper also instead of moving the rod around to get the guide I'm wrapping between two stands. I'll probably buy at least 3 or 4 of them.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (168.149.215.---)
Date: September 02, 2020 01:28PM

Ben, that is understood. I will try to explain my response. Sometimes, people will try to cobble together what they already have to avoid the expense of buying more parts and pieces. As you explained, you will have to purchase more rod supports. Understood from your original post. Given that at some point, many may wish to upgrade to a power set-up. One thing that works, is to create a base platform to mount the power supply, headstock, chuck, etc. All that requires is a small section. Then other existing sections can be aligned with rails to keep them adequately aligned. Said sections of track can be moved left or right, to meet such needs. This also facilitates keeping the rod and track sections aligned if one wishes to shape grips on the rod. If someone doesn't think this is important go ahead and try. Most folks use pre-shaped grips anyways. An exception would be when one wishes to make. An epoxy ramp onto a cork tape handle on a longer 1pc. blank. There are other things it could come in handy for. I actually did this with my old Clemens/Renzetti lathe, as later Renzetti sections did not exactly match up with the originals. At least with some accessories I already had.

This provides others that may read this post, with a possible solution to their problem.

As you say, you have enough track to do what you need to. You just lack a thread carriage and the rod supports. No big deal. What I gather from your OP, is you really want to know is what accessories will fit, and cost the least. If you really want to go low cost, skip the thread carriage and use fly tying thread. bobbins. But that negates your desire to upgrade your set-up to a 4 spool carriage. ;-) Whether you bite the bullet on CPW parts, or another manufacturers that will work, you still have a bullet to bite.

Date: September 02, 2020 02:20PM

I ordered the crb rbs 2-spool. I like the way it has 2 end caps that grip the spool and then it all turns on bearings. I’m still deciding on stands. Definitely not paying for CPW. Probably PacBay or make my own.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 02, 2020 03:30PM

A couple examples of non commercial rod stands:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Rod rest made with aluminum stock and shower door rollers with O rings in the groves.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Rod rest using aluminum bar, and skate board bearings.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Rod rest made with aluminum bar, ball bearings with double O rings and plastic cutting board base.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

An Alps rod rest:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster