I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Panfish casting blank
Posted by: Michael Tuma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 26, 2020 10:45AM

I need some help finding a blank at is 7’ to 8’-6”, one piece that can cast a 1/64 oz jig. I want to keep my options open but 7’-6” to 7’-10” would be the perfect length. I have tried some rods in the past that claimed to be able to cast a 1/64 oz jig but after the cast the rod would wobble around so much I lost the distance I was looking for. This rod would be mainly used for crappies and sometimes for sunfish. The hard part is getting any distance with such a light jig. So any tips would be much appreciated.

I dig thru this form and didn’t see any other post for what I am looking for and was hoping someone could help. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Panfish casting blank
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 26, 2020 11:01AM

if i wanted to cast a jig that light, i would use a gel spun line with the smallest diameter i could find..check out Hitena,s lines, they are most uniform in diameter..

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 26, 2020 03:31PM

Michael,
To avoid the issue, use salmon light action spinning blanks. They are heavy enough to avoid the tip wobble you are speaking of; but still give you the sensitivity that you crave.

One of these popping rods in the length and action that you like will do an excellent job for your application.

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Popping rods in general have a nice light tip that works extremely well with light jigs.

I use a couple of these rods in the 7'6" as well as the 8' version.

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

These RX6 popping rods are a less expensive blank in similar actions compared to the more expensive RX8 blanks listed first.

Take care

Date: August 26, 2020 08:28PM

Thank you so much Roger for your recommendations. The IMMP70UL blank was one of the ones I was looking at but with a 7’-0”, 1/32 to 3/16 oz lure ratting I thought it might be a little heavier than I was looking for. I could also be wrong. This rod won’t be used with anything heavier than 1/16 oz lure. 1/80 oz to 1/32 oz 99% of the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2020 08:35PM by Michael Tuma.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2020 10:23PM

I use the older IP840 trimmed from the butt to 6'8", similar to the Revelation UL popping blank, for 1/32 - 1/16oz panfish jigs and UL crank baits. I fish it with 6lb mono on a 10 sized Quantum Catalyst reel and it casts a 1/32 oz jig and panfish grub as far as I need it to. It's a great blank, but I've never ventured down to the really light weight jigs. I imagine with a really small diameter braid, that it might work a bit better with the lighter offerings.

As far as being able to lean into the rod a little more on the cast than other UL blanks, this one fits the bill.

I don't know if it's THEE ONE for you, but definitely worth consideration.

I've always wondered what blank would be the best fit for this sort of build, but never set out to build one.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 27, 2020 12:11PM

The Immortal 7-3 walleye blank should work well. I have it as spin, and like it. You need a power light enough to load with those light jigs. Hot shots might work very well due to the very light tip.

Date: August 27, 2020 03:53PM

Michael,
For pan fish, I normally fish with a clip on bobber or a slip bobber.

I typically use a rocket bobber which is a heavy bobber that is normally fished on its side with a very light jig. Then, when the fish gets the bait a very slight amount of pressure is enough to top up the bobber for a quick reel in of the fish.

[tackle2000.com]

With the use of the rocket bobber, and 4 lb test line on a reel with a large spool, it is easy to cast 50 yards, with a 1/64th jig using a medium light 7'6" salmon rod.

Particularly when fishing with spooky Crappies, one needs to anchor a good distance from them to avoid spooking. Then, cast past the school, reel up to the school, work the school and either catch a fish or reel past the school, and then quickly reel the line back for another cast. This is the reason that I like to use a large spooled reel with a high rate of retrieve.

When using a system like this the rod is semi out of the equation, because the bobber does the bite sensing.

Best wishes.

Date: August 27, 2020 05:12PM

I have used the bobber method in the past but my goal was to come up with a rod that I can get away from using a bobber. I find when they are in 3’ to 5’ of water the bobber can also spook or distract them and I have had more success going without a bobber. I just can’t get the distance. I have even thought about trying fly blanks. I know what I am asking is a lot and I might just have to settle on the IMMP70UL blank and hope for the best.

Date: August 27, 2020 08:44PM

I ordered the IMMP70UL blank and will update this post once I get some time on the water with it.

Date: August 27, 2020 10:46PM

Michael,
You might go new school.

Grab a drone, hook your line with 15 feet of line off the drone with your very light jig on it and fly the drone to the drop zone and go fishing. Then have the drone auto return to your spot and in a boat, land beside you while you bring the fish back into the boat on the rod.

I suspect that is only a matter of time before drone fishing will be the rage.

Or maybe every body will be angry at the drones from detracting from the wonderful fishing rods that are being built.

Date: August 28, 2020 09:45AM

then we will build wonderful drones with fishing rods attached, do some trolling..no problem..lol.

Posted by: Brian Gross (50.226.78.---)
Date: August 28, 2020 03:08PM

What you want is a UL mag blank, has a thick butt and stays stiff up most of the blank but has a UL tip section. Get Bit has one for get the model # something like a 701 but it comes longer then 7' also, this is in there Liberty line I believe. Check it out

Date: August 28, 2020 03:33PM

i have built this type rod with #2 fly rods with flex into the butt to protect very thin lines and thin wire hooks..i didn,t want a strong butt and didn,t be concerned about rod bounce..i was casting mainly a fly called the Zonker i tied on a #10 or #8 hook..no body just a zonker strip pulled over the hook with small bead chain eyes..no weight to the fly until it got wet but with 1# test fire line it cast out of sight..my sight that is..lol.

Posted by: Robert Drabik (---.ostnet.pl)
Date: August 30, 2020 05:22AM

And I will propose such a japan blank. SUZUKI RXF-3lb-762 or RXF-3lb-762-PRO
It should meet your demand.
Handles 1/64 jig without problems and loads very well during casting.

The only problem is in 2 parts.

[brcrods.com]

[brcrods.com]

Distributor of luxury Japanese blanks, FUJI guides.
SUZUKI BLANKS, Carefully made in Tokyo, Japan

[brcrods.com]

We also provide services to wholesale customers.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: August 30, 2020 01:47PM

I’d almost think that a euronymph blank would work well. But the only problem is getting good blanks. Right now there are not really any proper specific blanks offered besides the ones from the likes of sage, t&t, etc.. but check into the post on CTS releasing a new line

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: August 30, 2020 01:47PM

I’d almost think that a euronymph blank would work well. But the only problem is getting good blanks. Right now there are not really any proper specific blanks offered besides the ones from the likes of sage, t&t, etc.. but check into the post on CTS releasing a new line

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 30, 2020 07:32PM

The kokanee blanks will be in your length and power.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster