I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Euro Nymphing Fly Rod Blank Recommendation
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 25, 2020 04:10PM

What non-OEM blanks do folks recommend for wrapping up a nice nymping rod? I am thinking 10 - 11 feet, and leaning more towards 11 feet than 10 for extra reach. 3 wt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Euro Nymphing Fly Rod Blank Recommendation
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 25, 2020 07:35PM

More 4 weights available than 3 weights. Batson has a very nice 10ft 6in 4wt Eternity 2 blank.

Posted by: Mike Juliana (165.225.50.---)
Date: August 25, 2020 08:04PM

I've also been looking for Euro specific blanks. It seems like a lot of things out there may just be longer rods in lighter weights and not specifically designed for Euro nymphing. I have seen some euro-specific blanks on a website that is not a sponsor so I don't know if I can share that here. No experience with them though.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: August 25, 2020 09:35PM

PacBay Arctos 10'9" 3wt 4pc

Ron Weber

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2020 09:11AM

CTS Affinity X, they make both 10ft and 11ft 3wts, while it may price out a bit more than the above mentioned blanks, its well worth it.

Contact Herb at HNL Rod Blanks.

I have built out several of these blanks for customers and they were very happy with them

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2020 09:56AM

Bill,
Thank you.
Yes - the 10'0" or 11'0" in an unpainted Affinity-X are the favorites of builders looking for a nymphing blank.
Please email me for pricing.
Herb

Date: August 26, 2020 09:56AM

Bill,
Thank you.
Yes - the 10'0" or 11'0" in an unpainted Affinity-X are the favorites of builders looking for a nymphing blank.
Please email me for pricing.
Herb

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 26, 2020 12:01PM

I second the Pac Bay Arctos.

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2020 08:35PM

I have built two euro nymphing rods (i.e. to fish with long mono and sighter): H&H 10' 4wt and PacBay Quickline 10'4 wt. Both are okay. At the end of the day, the Quickline was a much nicer rod (much lighter, better finish, quality). However, both were still, in the end, just standard fly rods in a 10' length. I later purchased a dedicated euro nymphing rod (orvis) and without a doubt the tip on that rod is much softer and I had much better control and feel (contact) for the euro-nymphing set up. With that said, aside from the OEMs, the only blanks I've come across getting built up specifically for this style of nymphing were CTS affiniy's. But you definitely want to check that it is euro application. I'm not saying that a standard 10' fly rod can't be used, but the blank designed for euro-nymphing style does make a difference.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 26, 2020 10:47PM

Angelo: My main concern is around what you are stating -- the feel of the tip section. Several of the 9-foot fast action rods I currently own are not good nymphing performers, in my mind. I do have an H&H 9 foot 5 weight that happens to be very good for nymph fishing, and I think it is because the tip is somewhat softer than my other faster action 9 foot rods.

Date: August 27, 2020 11:58AM

David, et al,
I have heard from builders who built on the #'s 2 and 3 CTS 10'0" and the 11'0" that they make good nymphing rods.
They also say that they could be better it they had softer tips that would enable "flips" better than the stock blank.

Because of this Board's discussion I plan to speak to the CTS senior people to see if they would be willing to design such a dedicated blank.
Regards,
Herb
Distrib. CTS Rod Blanks

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---)
Date: August 27, 2020 02:24PM

That would be great, Herb! I'd be interested for sure. A.

Date: August 27, 2020 07:50PM

Angelo,
See my post regarding these blanks at the top.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster