I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

13' conventional surf rod build
Posted by: Tracy Pruett (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 24, 2020 10:13PM

I am building a 13' surf rod . The reel will be a 656 ctm akios . I want to do the kw concept type set up on guides but need some direction on guide sizes and number of guides . Any help would be appreciated .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 13' conventional surf rod build
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 26, 2020 12:55AM

I feel odd inquiring where Herb Canter is. While Herb was only concerned with surf fishing, he offered A LOT of advice, whether correct or not. Sorry Tracey, I am not qualified to answer your question.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 26, 2020 05:21AM

Thanks anyway mark . Been searching the net for information but all you find is for spinning rods . Will continue my search I guess .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2020 10:31AM

I believe the Anglers Resource page has an app or calculator that will figure the guide sizes and placement for you once you plug in the reel specifics. Their link is to the left in the sponsor column.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 26, 2020 01:11PM

I don’t build conventional surf rods, but have had some conversations with a person who is heavily involved with tournament distance casting. As explained to me a size 25 KW stripper is used about 30” or more in front of the reel spool. The reason is that 656 Akios is a high profile reel that sits about 2” above the blank. It also has a wide spool with no level wind so the line is moving back and forth and needs a larger guide to help control the line. Distance casting rods use from seven to 9 guides, a rod built for fishing rod might use more guides. They also do a gradual cone of flight reduction in guide size from 25, to 20, to 16 to 12 or 10 runners. For a fishing rod you could probably do a quicker reduction and use smaller runners. Doing a static test should help a lot with the size and number of guides needed. Just my thoughts, and hope it helps. You could call Carolina Cast Pro and ask them for the guide specifications they use for their 13’ surf rods.
Norm

Date: August 26, 2020 06:38PM

Thanks norman I checked out the anglers resource like Tom mentioned . It states the first guide was a 20 h I believe which was what i thought too high til i checked the reel when i got home. It makes more sense now lol . I will have to order some guides and play around with it .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2020 06:52PM by Tracy Pruett.

Date: August 26, 2020 06:55PM

If you are talking about a KL20H, it is a single foot KR concept spinning guide, not a conventional casting guide. Anglers Resource does not have Guide placement software (GPS) for a conventional casting rod layout. The Fuji KW guides are double foot guides that can be used for both conventional and spinning rods, and there is no such thing as a KW20H guide.
Norm

Date: August 27, 2020 09:22AM

Tracy, unhide your email, or email me.
Norm

Posted by: Tracy Pruett (---.sub-174-250-145.myvzw.com)
Date: August 27, 2020 10:38AM

Norman I sent you an email .

Posted by: Tracy Pruett (---.sub-174-250-145.myvzw.com)
Date: August 27, 2020 10:39AM

Norman I sent you an email .

Posted by: Lance Ashley (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 27, 2020 08:34PM

For most13ft 8nbait plus rods you will see 25, 20, 16, 12 x 4 and a 12 tip. A lot of titanium rods are being built using a 16h rv, 12m, 10m, 10 x 4 and a 10 top. The sizes may vary due to rod characteristics and mono or braid. I’m just a newbie but I hope this helps.

Date: August 30, 2020 12:25PM

Thanks lance I got a lead on the setup similar to what you mention . I will mock it up when I get the parts and see what I can work out .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster