I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning Rod Hook Holders and Braid
Posted by: Greg West (12.129.64.---)
Date: August 24, 2020 03:51PM

Has anyone experienced problems with braided line coming off their spinning reel and catching on the hook holder?

This past weekend, my line snapped in mid cast three different times, sending my terminal tackle into the water. There was always a "jerk" before the line snapped. I noticed on time the braided line appeared to have partially wrapped the hook holder.

If you have experience with this, what is causing this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning Rod Hook Holders and Braid
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 24, 2020 05:02PM

Greg

My braided line will slip under my "dropshot style" hook keeper every once in a while. In my case this is caused by a loop of slack line forming between casts. Fortunately I have noticed the snag before casting.

Rog

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 24, 2020 05:25PM

Greg,
The solution is obvious and simple.
Any time that you have an issue wit a particular line and a hook keeper, either change the line or remove the hook keeper.

However, having said that - the placement of the hook holder is important.

If using a split grip, put the hook holder behind the reel so you can never have a line tangle with the hook holder.

Also, I have found that depending on whether the owner and user of the rod is either right or left handed, I place the hook on the side of the rod within a 1/2 inch in front of the fore grip. Even better is to put the hook keeper on the lower 45 degree side of the blank on the side of the rod that is on the side of the non rod holding hand. That way, after a cast, when you want to store the line, you swing the terminal hook back toward the reel, grab the hook with your non rod holding hand and clip it into the hook keeper that is on that side of the rod.

Over the years, I have found that this is a much better hook keeper placement than either the top or the bottom of the rod blank.

Take care

Posted by: Pete Rinkevich (---.cdn77.com)
Date: August 24, 2020 05:49PM

I have. I've built several spinning rods in my first year of building rods and I have one rod that on occasion the line will get hung up on the keeper. Fortunately it is a standard small closed loop keeper (no damage to line but I do have to "unhook" it before reeling). What I haven't been able to determine is why it's happening. The rod it happens on is a PB701MLF. I built a PB701MF at same time with same hook keeper. My line never wraps on that one. Swapping reels (I use 10lb braid on all my reels) makes no difference. Guide layout (KR Concept) and sizes (20-10-5.5) on rods are same however guides are different brands. I locate all my keepers on left hand side of blank. I'm hopeful too that an expert chimes in with possible cause.......

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 24, 2020 06:07PM

Pete, could be a different line level on the spools..just a thought.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: August 24, 2020 06:10PM

If braid is poorly spooled it allow outer wraps to get buried I to the spool. You cast and the line can only unspool so far.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 24, 2020 06:13PM

I have been putting a drop shot style hook keeper on the top of a spin rod at the butt guide, incorporating it into the guide wrap.
On cast rods, it goes under in the same place.
The guide keeps the line away and I find it more convenient to have it up higher on the rod.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2020 06:14PM

Any time I have had issues with line catching on hook keepers it has been due to me overpowering the rod on the cast. The excess vibration in the rod and the line moving more than normal allows for some strange things to happen.

When I add a hook keeper it is either a drop shot keeper or Kigan hook keeper about 1/4” in front of the butt grip on a split grip rod on the same side of the rod as the reel handle. In my approach to building nothing goes in front of the reel seat unless it absolutely needs to be there. If the keeper can’t go behind the reel then the frame of the butt guide or the frame of my casting reel will suffice.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 24, 2020 06:17PM

"In my approach to building nothing goes in front of the reel seat unless it absolutely needs to be there."

DITTO

DITTO

DITTO

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 24, 2020 06:19PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pete, could be a different line level on the
> spools..just a thought.

most spin reels come with spacers that fit behind the spool so that you can adjust how the line builds up on the spool..i like to get a level line build..

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 24, 2020 06:30PM

I put the hook keeper 180 degrees from the reel, ie for casting on the bottom, for spinning on top. I also place the keeper as close to the reel as possible when mounting in front of the reel. I have also mounted the keepers behind the reel when using a split grip. I make my own open end hook keepers from titanium welding wire, and the design of these are less prone to grabbing line, then the commercial drop shot keeper design. if interested I published how to make these keepers a couple of years ago in RodMaker magazine, and posted how to make them before that here on rod board.
I like using a hook keeper and find them useful, but a lot of people will not use them for the reason you describe.
Norm
Here’s a picture of my hook keeper.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2020 06:33PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 25, 2020 10:22AM

Hello Norman.

That would be in volume-21, Issue-1, page-14.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 25, 2020 05:25PM

The only problem I've ever had with a keeper is the one I put on at 45 degrees about 3/4 inch in front of the front grip, drop shot style, on the right side of a spin rod used with left crank.

I now put them at about 1/2--3/4 in front of the foregrip at 90 degrees. Never a problem. I think that being on the bottom lets line drop off it gets in there. The problem with the 45 degree one occurred when working tubes, not in casting.

The "behind the reel seat" location has the advantage of keeping the hook out of your rod bags if you use them, but the one I did bothers me a bit as I do contact it occasionally with my hands. No fouling problems, though.

Find a style and location that works for you by taping them on and casting/fishing them.. I wouldn't consider changing line: the issue is design and/or location.

Posted by: Greg West (12.129.64.---)
Date: August 25, 2020 06:24PM

I fish Daiwa Fuego 3000A spinning reels, which have a fairly large spool diameter. The rods I have were purchased, not custom built. Could the size of the spinning reel spool relative to the size of the first guide be causing the braid to "bunch up". In other words, could the first guide be acting as a "choke point"? I'm not so sure the braid isn't hitting, if not tangling with, the hook keeper on nearly every cast; as, I hear a "slapping" sound when I make a cast. And, thinking on it, I'm not sure I'm getting the distance I should be getting. Anyway, just some rambling on my part; so, I can develop a path forward. Thanks for your insights and any other information you may be willing to pass on.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 25, 2020 06:52PM

What is the choker guide size? I expect at least a 20 (OD in mm) which is not too small for a 3000 reel. If you want to see what is happening, then put wax on the blank and see if the line is taking it off with a good number of casts. Tape over your keeper to keep line from catching on it. Tape on keepers of different designs in different locations on the rod and test cast and fish them. YOU need to think about how you can figure out what is going on. We can only guess. But I've offered you a few tools; you can probably figure out others that will indicate what is going on.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 25, 2020 08:25PM

If you are hearing line slap, that’s not good. It could be due to the stripper guide being too low or at the wrong distance from the reel you are using. Try using a smaller reel and see what happens. What are the style and sizes of the guides being used, and how far is the striper in front of the reel spool? I seems to me that the billowing line coils coming from the reel are not being controlled properly. Maybe the reel spool is over filled.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster