I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Common Cents Infection
Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: August 24, 2020 01:31PM

The last couple of times I went fishing I used one of my son's casting rods.

I absolutely love it for casting bigger topwaters, which I do a lot.

I'd like to replicate the action in a blank that I could build out with the components I want, but without a uniform measurement system and documentation of that by the blank manufacturers, I really don't see how to identify what I want.

The Common Cents system just makes so much sense....

FTU here in Houston has lots of blanks, I'm trying to work up a way (and my nerve) to walk in with a set up to at least take a crack at replicating that blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Common Cents Infection
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 24, 2020 03:13PM

Good luck. Besides length, weight, and price nearly every rod blank maker/marketer provides precious little useful information about the blanks they sell. I would be interested to hear how retailers reacted to a request to do some common cents measurements of their merchandise?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 24, 2020 06:14PM

A very likely reaction, might be........................."and now what do I do with this data that I've had one request for?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2020 06:15PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Justin Hires (199.230.203.---)
Date: August 25, 2020 05:50AM

Tom Harrigan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The last couple of times I went fishing I used one
> of my son's casting rods.
>
> I absolutely love it for casting bigger topwaters,
> which I do a lot.
>
> I'd like to replicate the action in a blank that I
> could build out with the components I want, but
> without a uniform measurement system and
> documentation of that by the blank manufacturers,
> I really don't see how to identify what I want.
>
> The Common Cents system just makes so much
> sense....
>
> FTU here in Houston has lots of blanks, I'm trying
> to work up a way (and my nerve) to walk in with a
> set up to at least take a crack at replicating
> that blank.

I am sure I will get some flack for mentioning this, but works great for me.
A CRB rod deflection tool/chart works great for duplicating/matching a rod. Getting a quick look. If you have one of those and they would allow you to take home a couple of blanks to check, you could get it pretty close. I would check a few longer rods than the current length of the rod you like. I use the CRB rod deflection tool to check two rods to match actions etc. to see if they are close. This works well to get a close match. Can move the blank forward or backwards to SEE what estimated power action you will get at a certain length in comparison to the current rod. If they are anywhere close. I use the CCS system to measure them both. If I want more power or less power than the rod I am trying to duplicate, I do this by using a longer length or shorter length (cutting from the butt). Still this only gets you close, due to it changing some after you build it out.

Date: August 25, 2020 03:23PM

Thanks- I’ll look into it

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 25, 2020 09:25PM

Good idea , Justin. Tom, do you know the CCS numbers for your son's rod? If you do, there is a good chance of getting the right blank to match it. 1. Most Xfast actioin blanks are 78+ AA. Fast are usually in the range of 74-78. Mod action in the range of 65-70. So you try blanks/rods that are described for action and relate that description to the AA of your son's rod. For power you can do similar linking of the descriptions to CCS ERN's . ERN's for light are usually in the range of 10-15. . Medium usually about 15-25. MH up to about 30. Etc.

It's not perfect, but helps. 2. If you know the CCS numbers for your son's son's rod you can see if there is a Point Blank that matches or comes close. Or Pac Bay Quick Fire. Or ask a manufacturer if they have a blank that matches your numbers. You might be surprised, but many know the CCS of their products.

Date: August 26, 2020 12:31AM

Thanks, Michael!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster