I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

High end travel blank?
Posted by: Alex Corvin (---.bb122100.ctm.net)
Date: August 24, 2020 10:11AM

Looking for top end multi pieces blank what options are available ? A 7~8ft, 2~8lb, 2~10g which is going to be paired with a 2000size 190g reel.

Top end being light weight and sensitive in the Daiwa SVF Compile X standard.

Fly blank could be an easy option but I doubt the thicker tip would be sensitive enough for bottom contact techs....????

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High end travel blank?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 24, 2020 10:53AM

Alex, CTS may have a blank that would suit you.

What do you consider a "travel rod" - 2 piece? - 4 piece"

One of my customers just bought a 7'0", 2 piece, for 1.0 - 3.5 gm.
One of their stock blanks is 6.0 - 15gm in one piece.

I'll inquire about your parameters.
Herb
Distrib. CTS Rod Blanks

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: August 24, 2020 10:56AM

Batson has some nice 3 piece travel blanks as well.

Date: August 24, 2020 11:55AM

Ok forgot to mention. 4 pc.

I had build CTS MagElite 4pc (which were not on their online catalog ) The blank was nice but a bit too fast and stiff for my liking. Also, they tend to have thicker tip and thinner butt which makes the blank tip heavy. If their designs are having thinner tip and thicker butt then it would have better balance itself, without needing to use some butt cap weight to balance it.

The have renewed the MagElite with the Air last year, which could probably have 4pc as custom order. I would check, that's an option.

Before CTS, I'd like to know if there is any other option, top end travel blank, light and sensitive. Thanks.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 24, 2020 11:56AM

Phenix has several multiple piece ultra light travel rods.
[www.anglersworkshop.com]
Norm

Date: August 24, 2020 12:16PM

Alex,
The Affinity-X fly blank has a very fast tip and a firm butt.

8 grams equals 123 grains..
But you would need a blank to handle more than that so the blank's mid section would remain firm. The tip would probably need a #4.5 to #5 tip-top. Is that too big for your purposes?
And reducing the length to 7-8 feet would meaningly stiffen the blank - leaving the tip to flex.
H

Date: August 24, 2020 12:22PM

I was actually looking at the Affinity X 376 4pc as an option, or the Affinity M 380 4pc.

What do you think? Have you built them into spinning rod before?

I am just not sure if their 3wt are fast/strong enough in the lower section as blanks vary. Eg. A Sage One 3wt would probably be powerful enough while a Sage Circa 3wt would be noodle.

Thanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 24, 2020 01:17PM

I wasn't aware Diawa made a SVF quality travel rod, I would recommend buying one of those as we have no idea what graphite that is. I have only fished a couple Steez rods, they were light, but the balance and sensitivity weren't all that. I also fished a G Loomis MB 844 GLX that day, though it weighed considerably more like 1/2 oz or so, it had better balance and was just as sensitive. The Loomis BCR GLX that was longer felt more like the Steez in balance, but again was heavier, but than again Loomis doesn't build the GLX as light as they could.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: August 24, 2020 01:50PM

Alex,
You're way off with a 3 wt.
Fly rods are designed to flex well into the blank.
You want your rod to just flex into part of the tip section.
The shortest fly rod I have is an 8'6" #8.
I'll suspend 6 grams from the tip and see how it deflects

Herb

Date: August 24, 2020 07:31PM

Alex,
I hung .3 Oz (8.5 gm) off the tip of my 8'6" 4 piece, #8 Affinity-MX fly rod.
It deflected the tip a couple of inches and "bounced" it a bit, It felt very good for casting that weight.

If you wish - I will ask if CTS if they have a design for a #7 or #8 Affinity-X or Affinity-MX in the 7'6" - 8'0" area.
Herb

Posted by: Alex Corvin (---.bb11352.ctm.net)
Date: August 26, 2020 12:35AM

I have some fly rods from 3wt to 12wt.....But I think a 8wt blank would be too powerful for my need. Your cast weight might be spot on, but a 8wt blank almost equal to a 20lb rod blank if u ask me, while I am looking at only 2~8lb blank. I think it is around the 3wt~4wt area. Just need a fast enough 3~4wt which is not noodle.

Date: August 26, 2020 10:09AM

Alex,
Then it will not be a "true" 3-4 weight.
Using CTS' custom design program I designed a series of fly rods from #5 to #10.
But none of them are true to the design weight - design amateur that I am . So the 5wt needs a #8 line to load properly.
I hung the 8.5 gm from that this morning and it deflected a bit more - but would still be to your liking.
BUT- it's not a :true" 5 wt rod. It happens that the design makes for a great casting fly rod. But it does have to be overlined by 2 or 3 line weights.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster