I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning down an EVA Grip
Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.vbch1.va.home.com)
Date: November 25, 2001 11:35AM

I just attempted to turn down an EVA grip on the Clemens lathe for the first time. I assumed that when the grip in permanently attached to the rod, and the rod is tighten in the chuck, that it would turn uniformly and when sanding, an even amount of material would be removed around the circumferance of the grip. That didn't happen. I don't know what happened, but the grip is now oblong along its length. I noticed what appeared to be high spots as I was sanding, but no matter what I did I couldn't correct it. Has this happened to anyone else out here? and can anyone tell me what went wrong?

Can the grip (that has not been reamed out) be off center. I never checked before. The other possible problem might be that I've placed my rod support to far from the chuck, and I'm actually placing to much pressure on the rod and grip causing it to bend as I'm sanding. It seems pretty sturdy in the lathe. If this is the cause, I hope this may prevent someone else from making this same mistake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning down an EVA Grip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: November 25, 2001 11:53AM

Turning any item that way will result in your sandpaper or cutting material "floating" on the grip, responding to any stiff or hard areas. Most of the time your result will be exactly what you have now - a grip that is not concentric with the blank.

In order to get a grip, or any object in a lathe, concentric, you must use a cutting tool such as a scraper, held a consistent distance from the object being turned. This will remove any high spots and soft and hard spots equally. (I went into some amount of detail on this in both my book and the series of articles we did in RodMaker on turning your own grips.) After you have gotten your rough shape and everything is concentric, you can use your sandpaper or cutting cloth to smooth things up.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.90.mhub.grid.net)
Date: November 25, 2001 12:33PM

Yeppers, have had eccentric un-reemed grips. Rare, but I have had some 1" ID that were eccentric.

Agree with Kirkman on rough turning with a metal screen or heavy sanding screen before lighter sanding methods are used. Two things happen if you don't:
1. You build up a lot of heat in the grip making it softer in places.
2. You have to press harder on the grip, thus putting a bend in the rod as you indicated.

Place the rod support as close as possible to the grip. I always try to turn a rear grip before installing the reel seat for that reason.

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 25, 2001 09:50PM

Right. The cutting tool must be fixed and not allowed to float on the grip. There is your problem. If you have to remove much material sharpen the end of a file and raise a burr on it. Use that on a tool rest and cut the grip smaller. Then use sandpaper or sanding screen to sand it smooth and take out the cutting marks.

Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.vbch1.va.home.com)
Date: November 25, 2001 11:38PM

Thanks for all the information. I need to get my self set-up better, I do have the Stanley hand tool with the metal screen, can't remember what it's called. I sure like the way that tool peeled off the material. But I understand the "Floating" I will get me another grip and try this again ( I better get two or three) I should probably look at the back issues of rod maker and get the one that covers this. Thanks again

Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: November 27, 2001 06:16AM

I had this problemon a surf rod I was building. Worked on it quite a bit before I relized the but was not straight! It had a marked bow in it I had not noticed. maybe someone else can come up with an answer but I can't see how youcan get a concentric shape when the item you are turning has a bow in it.

I did the best I could which was not too bad. The rod was for personal use and it works fine. When you get the blank be sure to check all parts for trueness. I just never expected the but to be bad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster