I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Personal Favorite Blank
Posted by: David Wilson (---)
Date: August 19, 2020 09:43PM

Let me start by saying I understand that the following question is completely objective. I’m new to rod building. I have 5 rods under my belt and love it. I have spent hours upon hours searching blanks and researching everything rod building related. I know my favorite rod certainly wouldn’t be everyone else’s favorite rod but would still like to know what you like. For someone to say “THIS” is the best all around worm blank, flipping blank, jerkbait blank, etc is interesting to me and worth my time to at least consider. There are so many rod blanks out there and without being able to lay a hand on them, it’s hard to even know what you are ordering. One manufacturers specs are totally different than the next in the same power/action from what I have seen.

With all of this said, the fact that there is so much variation in blank characteristics is one of the best things about this hobby to me. I would love to know what is your favorite blank for a specific species or technique is. With hundreds of options out there, I would like to hear what you consider your ”favorite.”

I am focused on bass and inshore specs and reds but would like to know about other types of blanks as well.

Best,

David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Personal Favorite Blank
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 20, 2020 12:10AM

David

I like the CRB IS701L and the IS701ML(7ft) from mud hole. They are inexpensive and durable. I use them for lakes, ponds and the ST. John's river here in FL. Catch everything from bass, cat fish, carp, shad to stripe bass. .

Also I Like the MHX, CB843-BLEND (7ft) from mud hole for the same fish as above.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 20, 2020 11:02AM

For spinning, usually light finesse fishing (tubes, rage tail craw, wacky, even neds and drop shot), small cranks, if I had to have only one spinning rod, it would be the Point Blank PB701MLF. It's probably the most sensitive rod I have, and I have some very good ones.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 20, 2020 12:49PM

David,
I will certainly be the odd-man-out here. I absolutely love the vintage FG Conolon blanks I have access to; they increase the Fish-Fighting-Fun-Factor more than any other rods I have used, are gorgeous after a coat of PG, all while owning and fishing a piece of fishing rod history. While most of the limited, remaining stock make for great light and ultralight rods, there are a few heavier blanks from which I have made exceptional Calico rods. A general consensus may find the Mud Hole blanks to be the best bang-for-the-buck with Rainshadow, Point Blank, CTS and Phenix offering higher quality and a higher price accordingly.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2020 04:38PM

I haven't built a lot of rods, so I don't have the amount of experience with different blanks that others on this site have. With that said, if you're talking about a rod that would be used for pitching and flipping in and around heavy cover for bass, my favorite blank would be a Rainshadow Immortal IMMC72MH. It's a fast action blank with gobs of power and awesome sensitivity. It will flat out put fish in the boat. If it has any draw backs it would be that it's a bit tip heavy. I personally don't have a problem adding weight to the butt of a rod to get the type of rod and reel balance that I like, so it's of no real consequence to me, but others may find it to be.

If you're talking about a rod you would use for fishing Texas rigs, football jigs to 1/2 oz, or pretty much any similar type bait in more open water or lighter cover, it would no doubt the rods that I built on NFC MB736 X ray blanks. They're feather light, and their sensitivity is other worldly. Power is right about where it should be compared to other blanks with similar specs. And they are both very versatile rods, but their real excellence is in the sensitivity the have. They are insanely good.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 20, 2020 04:55PM

Back in the nineties my go to blanks were the G Loomis IMX 1 pc medium light in different lengths. They had the perfect strength to weight ratio I was looking for. The HM at the time was not really lighter and it was very susceptible to breaking. After going on a stretch after Shimano bought G Loomis and they quit selling to the public, I really just stopped building for a bit because everything that was out there did not seem to be innovative. In the new millennium, micro guides came along and I started seeing a change in the blanks being produced and started building again. They were using different prepreg that was very innovative along with some interesting templates (mandrels). I really liked the Batson Rainshadow stuff because it reminded me of older Loomis blanks without the cost, I also started building on Phenix blanks. When Gary started producing out of NFC with a Toray composed prepreg it all seemed natural with a selection of IM graphite that was very similar to the GL IMX blanks and now a more dependable HM modulus (3M resin) blank, I have a real favorite. It is the P703-1 (HM LMX) it is light, has the perfect action and is incredibly strong (resistant to breaking). I also like Fuji Point Blank blanks and I think if you bass fish they are almost a necessity. Lets not forget the Batson line of blanks either. I mostly build inshore saltwater rods used for casting artificial lures like top water plugs and touts for redfish, flounder and speckled trout.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 20, 2020 07:41PM

I'm not going to mention particular model #'s. I'll talk more about types and mention a few brands.

Over the years I've probably fished live bait blanks the most. I fish saltwater and like to fish offshore. I never had the boat/money for big game trolling hence the live bait rods. They have a fat powerful but with a limber tip. They have an aggressive taper. The light tip lets you cast baits without them ripping off the hook. The fat butt lets you apply a lot of pressure. They are fast taper yet when you really lean into them they become more moderate in action. This can help keep fish buttoned up, reduce the lever arm to make it easier on your back, and provide some shock absorption when a fish makes a violent maneuver close to the boat. They are great for trolling also. They will do for bottom fishing if you don't need to use a lot of weight to hold bottom. For the offshore/reef fisherman they cover a lot of bases. They used to be glass. Today I'd recommend a composite blank. You don't need to spend a lot to get a good serviceable one. The Rainshadow RCLB series is about 60% of the price of the Grafighter but close to 90% as good. Your bread and butter range will usually fall in the 12-25# to 40-60# power blanks. I'm most likely to be using them with a conventional reel.

I consider a spin/jig rod a must have item. They work well for all for a lot of things from all purpose bottom fishing to casting lures. The tip tends towards the stiff side which adds to feeling the bite (as opposed to seeing it). The come in powers that cover inshore to offshore duty. IMHO the St. Croix inshore blanks are the epitome of the breed. Light, powerful, sensitive and able to do lots of things well. Just don't ask them to cast a delicate bait any distance or you will see your bait going in a different direction and your bare hook entering the water. However they are a great choice for casting a live blue runner to a nice dolphin hanging out under some cover. I have them in ranges from UL up to 15-30#. I find 8-17# the one I can't live without. I mostly fish them with spinning reels. This is the place for high end graphite.

Tom turned me onto hotshot blanks. WOW is all I can say. I tell folks in my neck of the woods the following; if you want to cast the lightest possible offering, the farthest possible distance, yet handle the biggest possible fish, you want a hotshot blank. These blanks are ultra fast action. They have tips the diameter of pencil lead. The butt isn't all that much bigger but has serious power. In fact it is hard to get them to flex at all. You will need some finesse in your game. Over react and you will rip the hook right out of the mouth. Under react and the fish will have you in cover. Best used in open water yet I use mine a lot for heavy cover fresh water. They will cast a country mile and would make a great light duty surf rod. They are great on the flats for casting unweighted shrimp. They are pricey but very high end rods. Unusually light and strong yet I get the feeling they don't have a lot of reserve and could blow up on you if you push them one extra pound harder. That said I haven't managed to break any of mine yet. Loomis made a name down here on the flats. The Rainshadow I have is clearly a very high end blank. The MHX is much cheaper but worth checking out, yet not in the same league IMHO.

Popping rods are a niche market down here but quite popular for inshore work. The better ones are high end graphite yet tend towards a more moderate action. They have a soft tip yet have good power in the butt. Like the live bait rods, you can lean on them and they will surprise you with their power. Lamiglass had some great ones in the past. I loved the older titanium/chrome Rainshadows. I have heard NFC is offering a great one but I haven't fished it (Ditto on Point Blank). They cross over to fresh water as excellent blanks for lures with treble hooks. IMHO another must have blank despite me calling it niche. I'm equal usage on spinning reels and bait casting reels. Probably one of the few blank choices that folks are evenly split on use for live bait and artificial offerings.

Okay, enough from me as I know most of you guys are bass fishermen and my info isn't particularly relevant.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 21, 2020 05:03PM

Mine is the G Loomis HS9000-3 GLX, 3 piece blank, built into a spinning rod. The factory rod is the HSR 9000-3 GLX travel rod.
Have caught salmon and steelhead on it, redfish, spotted sea trout, small snapper, dorado and bonefish in Florida, small and largemouth bass, walleye, and 30+ inch trout in the Kvichak River in AK. It's easily the most versatile rod I own.

Posted by: Justin Hires (---)
Date: August 22, 2020 11:54AM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't built a lot of rods, so I don't have the
> amount of experience with different blanks that
> others on this site have. With that said, if
> you're talking about a rod that would be used for
> pitching and flipping in and around heavy cover
> for bass, my favorite blank would be a Rainshadow
> Immortal IMMC72MH. It's a fast action blank with
> gobs of power and awesome sensitivity. It will
> flat out put fish in the boat. If it has any draw
> backs it would be that it's a bit tip heavy. I
> personally don't have a problem adding weight to
> the butt of a rod to get the type of rod and reel
> balance that I like, so it's of no real
> consequence to me, but others may find it to be.
>
> If you're talking about a rod you would use for
> fishing Texas rigs, football jigs to 1/2 oz, or
> pretty much any similar type bait in more open
> water or lighter cover, it would no doubt the rods
> that I built on NFC MB736 X ray blanks. They're
> feather light, and their sensitivity is other
> worldly. Power is right about where it should be
> compared to other blanks with similar specs. And
> they are both very versatile rods, but their real
> excellence is in the sensitivity the have. They
> are insanely good.

Same here, not built a lot of rods. But, fished very good blanks. I agree with you on the NFC MB 736 X Ray. Very happy with the sensitivity, weight and power. I fish it in moderate cover and it has plenty of power to get them out. I have 4 casting built now and part way thru my first spinning build. Excellent for TX rigs, tube, and buzz bait rod in the 1/4-1/2oz weight range. Have not tried it for jigs yet. I have them built from 6' 10" to 7' 1". Second would be the SJ 736 and the NEO.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: August 23, 2020 11:00PM

I searched for the most sensitive and lightest rod for finesse worm fishing small rivers in a kayak and have settled on one. It's a Rainshadow Immortal IMMWS62MXF. I'm on my 3rd one; broke one and lost one. I use Minima guides and a very light spinning reel with 6 lb line or 10 lb braid with a 6 lb fluorocarbon leader. I also take it in my boat for shallow finesse worm fishing, 15' or less.

Posted by: Jason Franqui (---.pbso.org)
Date: August 24, 2020 11:53AM

My go to blank is the Bushido mag bass series. These blanks have a fast tip,tons of power and are very sensitive . I use them for flipping docks, mangroves, open water and heavy weeds when fishing for bass. I even use the lighter magbass for wacky worm. If i am going to use any lures with treble hooks then i switch to a Bshido LS7. The LS7 have a softer tip which helps keeps the treble hooks from pulling out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster