I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new guide concept
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: August 18, 2020 05:17PM

I am building a 7ft mediun spinning rod and want to set it up to the New Guide Concept (first time). My lack of knowledge and practical experience with this system has me frustrated.

Guides are CBR LSR single foot. The reel is a Shimano Stradic 2500, the spool diameter times 27 comes to 49.27 inches.

When I run the line from the end of the spool to the choke guide (ring size 6) I find the first reduction (25) guide is too close to the spool (16in) and the (20) guide is too far from the spool (24in). I do not what lee way I have to shift the recommended ranges..

Based on that info I have the wrong style guide. Is there a way I can make these guides work.

My instinct is to keep the choke guide as is and arrange the reduction guides (3) possibly (4) so when I sight down the rod all the reduction guides are concentric

I intend to use these guides on this blank, If they can't be used for the concept set up then I will use these guides the old traditional way and purchase the proper guides for a future build.

I would appreciate any advise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2020 05:20PM by John DeMartini.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new guide concept
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 18, 2020 05:28PM

Maybe CRB LZR?

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 18, 2020 06:51PM

John

I suggest 2 options. Either move the stripper guide out to 18" or so from the reel spool shaft and shorten the reduction train to the choker...or... change the stripper guide for a #20 guide. Also when you run a line from the reel shaft to the choker are you running the line to the outside of the guide or the inside of the guide? This can move the reduction guide positions slightly. I have always used the 27X method (40+ 6'6" / 7'0" spinning rods) of guide placement from it's conception and I swear by it, but you have to be a little flexible with the numbers once and a while. I have a set of LZR's waiting to be installed on my next build.

Rog

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2020 08:58PM

Guide height is the answer. Often we move up or down in ring size because that gives us the height we'd like to have. So you might move to a different guide style, or use whatever you have that gets you closest to the ideal.

Date: August 18, 2020 10:50PM

Michael
CRB is correct my error.

Roger T
I put the line on the outside of the guide as the article suggests. Tried your suggestion couldn’t get the guides I have to work. I will look for more suitable guides. If you get your LZR's to work let me know what the layout is.

Tom
Looks like I need a different style. I will use the ones I have the traditional way and plan to get guides better suited to the concept system.

Thanks all for the feed back

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 19, 2020 09:43AM

Those LZR guides are a Y type guide that have been used ever since the NGC came out so they should be fine for your use. The size 25 LZR is the about the same height as the the Fuji KL20H and the 20 LZR is about the same height as the KL16H, so you should have no problem placing them at 19” to 20” in front of the reel spool, which is the recommended stripper distance for the KR concept. Both the NGC and KR concept both place the stripper at approximately the same place. Setting up a guide train is very flexible, the 27X method just gives you a starting point for locating the choke point. Think of it more as a suggestion, rather than a distance written in stone. It can certainly be moved in or out to give the spacing you want for the number of guides you are using. Static test and test cast to fine tune adjustments to the guide layout.
I assume you are using monofilament or fluorocarbon line rather than braid, and that is the reason you chose the NGC rather than the KR concept.
Norm

Date: August 19, 2020 12:26PM

Norman

The light is shining thanks for the info. Yes, I am using fluro.

John

Posted by: Brian Gross (50.226.78.---)
Date: August 24, 2020 09:23AM

I do lots of 7' spinning rods as a walleye guy we use that set up a lot. I start with a 20H,10H or 16H, 8H then a 6m to 6 or 5 running. I place the guides based off the Rainshadow spacing chart for a similar rod specs. Then fine adjust the first 3 guides till I get a bulls eye and static test the running guides to get a nice curve. I used to get geeky on the numbers but if I get a nice bulls eye I have no problems and the end result is a great casting rod. Tyy it sometime

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster