I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hardy 10.10
Posted by: Dwayne Walsh (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: August 17, 2020 03:30PM

looking for some help, restoring an old HARDY fibreglass rod , clear finish was chipped and flakey and looked really bad. Stripped rod of wraps and guides and gave it a nice fine sanding to make every thing even and smooth again. Now I would like to reclear the blank before I install my new wraps. Is the any flexible clear aerosol spray any one has tried . any help or experience would be greatly appreciated .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hardy 10.10
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 17, 2020 03:37PM

Quality urethane spar varnish.

Date: August 17, 2020 04:10PM

would you brush then rotate blank or are you spraying

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 17, 2020 05:02PM

Thought you wanted to spray it on, did I mis-read your post. Wiping on Permagloss will also work. Info in the search function lots of times.

Date: August 17, 2020 05:46PM

I do want to spray think you would get a better finish , trying to keep it thin so I don't wreck the action to much,

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 17, 2020 07:17PM

Permagloss will do the job! Application information available by using search function

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 17, 2020 07:58PM

Dwayne,
Short of employing an automotive body/ paint shop to spray what would arguably be THE best blank finish (catalyzed urethane), save your time, money and consternation by using the next-best thing and what most builders use = U40 PermaGloss. It is a moisture-curing urethane, produces an extremely thin coating, dries exceptionally quickly and is pretty dang durable. Simply use a fine-cell cosmetic pad with a hole in the middle, saturate it with PG, wipe it up the blank and then immediately back down and you are done; 20 seconds. Any rattle-can product will not be catalyzed or it would cure in the can.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 17, 2020 08:28PM

I reckon varnish would be more "period correct". Helmsman spray varnish would make a handy choice and is reasonably durable. PermaGloss would be far more durable and wouldn't yellow.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 17, 2020 10:29PM

it sounds like permagloss maybe the way to go, is it really that easy to apply

Date: August 30, 2020 11:38AM

I received my permagloss, have wet sanded the blank, going use make up pad to apply, each blank piece is 5.5 feet long. So saturate the pad , hole in middle of pad and a smooth pull and let dry?? should i rotate also, really need a smooth even finish like it was sprayed, ANY TIPS WOULD BE GREAT APPRECIATED

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 30, 2020 11:52AM

Wiping on give a very thin coat that does not need to be rotated. Just lean against the wall. Can apply another coat in an hour or so.
Norm

Date: August 30, 2020 12:31PM

Comes out nice and even looking

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 30, 2020 05:26PM

Glad it worked for you. I does give a very nice, light, and durable finish. Hard to beat for ease of use and looks.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster