I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB SSR Guides compared to Minima's - wear resistance
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 14, 2020 06:59AM

I have used a lot of Minima guides over the years with good success. Recently started using the SSR guides and they actually seem to be made a little cleaner and pretty nice guide foot prep.

I know the Minima's have a hard chrome plating, but not sure if the SSR guides do as they appear to be straight stainless. Does anyone know if there will be a difference in long term wear between the two? In both cases I still run a ceramic tip top, as I have seen the stainless tops groove.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB SSR Guides compared to Minima's - wear resistance
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 14, 2020 12:17PM

Marc,
You could set up an experiment.

Use an electric motor with a pulley mounted on the motor. Bolt the motor in place.

Mount a guide on the same board a couple of feet away. Take a piece of 10 lb fishing line, run it through the guide and take a double wrap around the pulley to give the pulley a non slip grip on the line. Then, turn on the motor and adjust the tension on the motor so that the line does not slip. Leave the motor running and see how long the motor would have to run and how many pieces of line you would go through before getting any guide grooving?

Interested minds would like to know.

-----------------
Or build the rod with the guides of your choice and go fishing. If you wear out the guides in a time that you deem unacceptable, cut the guides off and use a different type guide.

The vast majority of the guides on the market today give an acceptable service life.

Be safe

p.s.
If you do the guide wear test, let us know what you find out.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: August 14, 2020 05:51PM

Recently I purchased a set of SSR guides to try out. When comparing them with the minima I find the ring flange on the SSR is slightly larger and the swage against the ring doesn't seem as compressed as the minima, also the foot of the SSR is a little shorter. But none of these observations are a deal breaker. The SSR'S are clean and I have every reason that the SSR is a good quality guide and will give good service.

I like the stainless steel ring guide because they are durable and will never crack or pop out as a ceramic will. I work my rods like a rented mule and the stainless steel ring guides answer the call.

My experience is the tip tends to groove before any of the guides so I use a Fuji SIC tip, I read that theTorzite tip by Fuji. is harder but the SIC does what I need.

I am curious how many of you folks have had guides groove.(fresh water rods).

Marc, to answer your question I do not think you will go wrong using the SSR guides.

Have fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2020 05:52PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dynamic.pctc.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 14, 2020 07:16PM

Thanks guys! I like the SSR's so far, and I agree - running a ceramic tip probably takes care of 90% of the issues.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2020 07:41PM

The only guide I ever had groove was so n a Browning UL from bass pro around 2007 or so. It was a steel guide similar to the guides discussed here but I have no clue who the original manufacturer was. I’ve only used Minimas a couple times and because of that experience I opt for a ceramic top. The Minimas on one of my cranking rods have been going strong for several years now.

That said I haven’t used the CRB guides in question but I haven’t found anything in the CRB lineup to be lacking in quality by any means. You can usually spend more and get a more refined product, but the CRB version gets the job done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster