I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Northeast Colorado Fly Fishing
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: August 11, 2020 09:15PM

I have 10 year old, and a twelve year boys that I'm trying to teach how to fly dish. I'm in the Denver area, and am myself not able to walk great distances. I am currently still building back strength. That being the case, can anyone recommend a place where the boys will have a good chance at catching fish? We don't have a boat, and so a stream would be better. I'm frm Michigan's Eastern U.P, and know lots of places he could catch dish. I am new to the Denver area however, and so could use some advice. I just want these boys to have some dun. I'm supplying the rods, a 3 weight, a 5 weight, and a 7 weight, each a good quality rod. Thanks.

Tight Lines ans frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Northeast Colorado Fly Fishing
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 12, 2020 11:51AM

Go to some of the higher eleveation small streams along with Front Range and you can pound up brook trout that in some cases will rise ftantically and impale themselves on the hook. Wild Basin area of RMNP good for this. Fall River in the park, and Big T also. A bit of a drive, but the upper Poudre River can be the same, and is parlelled by a road.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---)
Date: August 14, 2020 11:41AM

Robert, you may want, as mentioned above, to start with ponds. Mostly for bluegill and bass. That way, they can get the mechanics down of handling the rods and casting basics. Then move on to moving waters. There are ponds all through the Metro area. Some that come to mind are near the Adams County Fairgrounds. Additionally, there are several lakes on the Rocky Mountain Wildlife Refuge. The latter contain various panfish, crappie, bass, and even like.

A call to the Colorado Division of Wildlife is a good start or a trip to Bass Pro or other local tackle shops. Many of those have huge dry erase boards with local spots, current conditions, what's catching different species, etc. Even stream flows are typically kept up to date.

Welcome to Colorado.

Chuck in Thornton

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: August 15, 2020 10:52AM

Thaks. Very good information. I'm looking forward to trying out RMNP lakes and streams.

And just as an a side note, I will be teaching the father of these boys how to build rods. Between us, his better eyes, and my knowledge, I'm expecting great rods. Mine are already very nice. However, It takes me a while, and magnifying lenses, to get the wraps perfect, and the guide alignment just perfect, less than perfect vision caused by swelling of the retina after catarc emoval, heavy sigh.

Tight lines and Frisky fish .

RJF

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.23.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 15, 2020 01:38PM

It's been a while, but I had a couple good experiences on the South Platte. Lots of areas to fish, many a brief walk from a parking lot. Personally, I'd recommed a guide for a day. Most are lovers of the sport and willing to give you lots of information for your unguided trips in the future.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.clsp.qwest.net)
Date: August 16, 2020 01:46PM

Robert, that @#$%& about cataract surgery. I'm long overdue for that myself.
May things improve for you with that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster