I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Okuma SST 13'6" Broken between guides tip end
Posted by: Brandon Giles (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 11, 2020 12:15AM

Hello

First, I emailed Okuma and they are out of this rod indefinitely so they are unable to send me a tip.
So, I was hoping to upload some photos here for help but I can't for the life of me, figure that out....

I have to ends that are 3.5mm ish to 3.2mm ish. I trimmed the fractured parts of the rod away so there are flat.
I removed the guide that was closest to the fracture point to give me room to work.
I was thinking of buying brass ferrules but am having trouble locating the right sizing.

Should I give up on trying to attached the tip which is about 20" with 2 guides and the tip, and find a 3.5MM tip and use what I have left? I don't know if that would mess up the casting/feel of the rod though..

Anyways, let me know how to post pictures, and any suggests you may have!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Okuma SST 13'6" Broken between guides tip end
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 11, 2020 07:48AM

Brandon,
A couple of points.
If you break a rod and wish to repair it, don't trim the broken ends. Rather, when you execute the repair, use an inner and outer section of rod blank to use for the repair splice. When you do this, interlock the broken pieces of rod blank that will give you a larger amount of gluing surface.

As it explains in the rod building library, preferably use sections of fiberglass rod blank sections for both the inner and outer pieces of blank for repair. The fiberglass is a less stiff material than graphite and will tend to affect the bending action of the repaired section less than if you use graphite repair sections.

You will need one piece that will slide up inside the tip top side of the repair, but can be sized to still fit into the lower section.

To give the best job in repairing for the outer sleeve, remove the rod blank tip top and any guides between the tip top and the repaired section. This will allow you to first obtain an outer sleeve for blank repair and to have it slide down nicely from the tip top over the break and past the break by 2 inches as well has having 2 inches above the break for the repair section.

When you have your break section prepped, as well as the inner and outer sleeve prepped, mix up a batch of 30 minute epoxy and first coat, insert and assemble the inner sleeve along with the main blank. Then, slide down the outer sleeve for a nice tight fit and use appropriate solvent to clean up any residual epoxy.

Note: I generally taper the ends of the repair sections and if the repair inner and outer sleeves are too thick, I will chuck the sections in a drill and thin and taper the sections by holding the spinning sections against a spinning bench belt sander to obtain the desired cross section for the repair sleeves.

Finally, after the sections and assembled, glued up, cleaned up - let cure over night. Then, come back a day or more later and rewrap any guides and replace the tip top that you may have removed to expedite the repair.

-----------------------------
If you have pieces of blank around the shop for repair use, the normal actual time to prep, taper, thin, glue and clean up the blank is generally less than 30 minutes. Then, to do the guide rewrap and tip top reassembly will take your usual guide assembly time.

=======================

If you don't have repair sections in the shop you can generally go to good will, salvation army, or sporting goods charity rod boxes to obtain broken or inexpensive rods, or rod sections for very little money.

Best wishes.

Date: August 11, 2020 10:21AM

Awesome!!! I never thought of that. Thank you so much. Hopefully there won't be, but next time i won't trim the damage off.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2020 12:37PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2020 03:55PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.rodbuilding.org].
> html
>
> ...............
If you follow this method to the letter your rod will be as good as new. For quite some time, I have been fixing over 20 broken rods a year. Knock on wood there has never been one returned that has failed using the method that Mr Kirkman has suggested.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2020 03:57PM by Tom Wewerka.

Date: August 11, 2020 08:24PM

Thank you for the encouragement and thank you Tom for the link.

I already found an old rod tip section that is going to fit it perfectly. Just going to read the instructions a few times before doing it because the fiberglass even matches so its like.... lets not F it up.. haha

I'm really excited and I appreciate your guys' help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster