I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Humidity
Posted by: Eric Roach (---.sub-174-255-67.myvzw.com)
Date: August 09, 2020 02:58PM

Humidity is pretty damn high in the Northeast at the moment. In general, at what percent humidity in your rod building area do you start to worry about amine blush Or other humidity-related problems?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 04:47PM by Eric Roach.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Humidity
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 09, 2020 04:17PM

Eric,
I think it was Ralph O’Quinn who researched Amine Blush and determined the phenomenon was caused by precise ratio amounts of both humidity (moisture) and CO2 in the atmosphere. Moisture alone will not necessarily increase the chances of Amine Blush.
Most thread finish epoxies must have been formulated to minimize or eliminate AB as evidenced by the extremely rare cases reported. Polyester (fiberglass) resin is available in “laminating” and “finish” types with a wax included in the “finish” resin to eliminate the sticky coating left on “laminating” resin after cured. While polyester resin and epoxy are definitely different, I suppose the chemists could formulate thread finish to counter AB. Virtually all structural epoxies suffer from AB when left in open air to cure no matter the atmosphere conditions. This is usually eliminated due to the composite being sealed in a vacuum bag while curing.
My advice is to not worry about AB and carry-on as usual. In the rare event AB occurs, it can be easily and thoroughly removed with simple warm water and dish soap on a soft rag with no need for harsh chemicals.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Eric Roach (---.sub-174-255-67.myvzw.com)
Date: August 09, 2020 04:50PM

Thanks, Mark. I average about 50% humidity in my basement building area this time of year, which seems reasonable. I was just curious.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 09, 2020 05:07PM

Eric,
If you are concerned about humidity that is too high, either install a dehumidifier or an air conditioner to reduce the humidity.

Here in the midwest, we will often have humidity up in the 60-70 number. I remember years ago, when first moving here from the west, my wife and I found it virtually unbearable. We were in an apartment with no air conditioning. So, at night we would use only a sheet for bed cover, and in the morning, we would shower and launder the soaked sheets from the high heat and humidity. Thank goodness, we have had central air for many years in our home . This also includes our lower level work shop.

Certainly high humidity is a tough situation and it can certainly affect some rod builds when it comes to finish work.

If nothing else, keep a good amount of air moving through the work shop to help minimize the effects of high humidity.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 09, 2020 05:56PM

Hey, I live in the South where it is always humid, and never had a problem with Amine blush. I think the only time I have seen amine blush is when the finish actually gets wet, for example when left out in the rain our after it been over board.
Norm

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 09, 2020 06:42PM

I've seen it only on rods that had been left out in the rain for a few days.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2020 07:34PM

Humidity has no effect on epoxy set or cure time. It can partly result in amine blush, but a certain amount of CO2 has to be present in the room at the same time for it to result.

If you're working inside in climate controlled conditions, all the humidity stuff is out the window anyway.

Date: August 09, 2020 08:10PM

For those interested, Amine Blush only occurs during the curing cycle, not after cured. It results in a thin, sticky, waxy film on the surface yet is quite clear. On the other hand, many CURED epoxies will develop a milky appearance on the surface if left in contact with water but will usually clear-up if allowed to thoroughly dry-out = dry warmth.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: August 09, 2020 08:33PM

In that case I have never seen amine blush. So in my opinion no need to worry about humidity.
Norm

Date: August 09, 2020 10:09PM

You are correct, Norman.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster