I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Simple Rod Labeling
Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: August 08, 2020 12:32PM

The "expoxy over label" posted earlier reminded me of my own question.

I just used a blank in a build that came with a label that's not to my taste, it's just too big and long.

I'd like to label the rod very simply, like "905" to cover the length and weight.

Any suggestions on where to get decals or labels for something simple like that? Does Hobby Lobby carry that type of thing?

Are there things to avoid?

I searched the board and didn't find what I was looking for. If it has been covered, please point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Simple Rod Labeling
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2020 01:51PM

Inscribe it by hand, or consider having Decal Connection or Mud Hole make you some.

Seems to me that something as simple as just 3 digits would be easy to do by hand with a paint pen. Cover with epoxy and that's all.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 08, 2020 02:51PM

Decal Connection on the left can do it, and do it very well.

Posted by: Frank Domino (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 08, 2020 04:05PM

And fast

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2020 07:11PM

Papilio inkjet decal paper works well for home printed labels. Print the label spray with Krylon clear spray paint. Let dry. Apply to the rod and CP and/or Epoxy over top. Most of my personal rods don't have a label, but the ink jet labels are nice for adding a personal touch when giving rods to others.

I've never really looked for it at my local office supply house, but if they stock the appropriate vinyl decal paper for their printers, they may be willing to print you up something, but you might be in for the cost of the whole pack of paper.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 09, 2020 11:54AM

Lefty Kreh in one of his books had a identification system he used and proposed, it was an adaptation of the Roman numerals. Each number of the line weight is a thin thread wrap and every 5 is a thicker thread wrap, so a 7 wt. would be a thick tread wrap, and two thin thread wraps. He used indelible ink bands to mark the head of each line. He used the position of the thick thread wrap to tell you the line's construction, if the wide band was in the front it was a weight forward line, wide band behind, a double taper. For light lines one of the thin bands were slightly wider than the others to tell you the type of line. You could do the same with the rod, band in front, fast action, band behind moderate action.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (208.163.42.---)
Date: August 09, 2020 11:58AM

If you want white on clear labels here is a solution. I have an older version that uses the same cartridge. I also had some made from Decal Connection and another source by my house.

[www.brother-usa.com] / [www.brother-usa.com] / [www.brother-usa.com]

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: August 10, 2020 09:56AM

Thanks for the ideas, everyone-

If I find someone with steadier hands than mine to paint on a couple of numbers, what is an appropriate paint to use?

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: August 10, 2020 11:36AM

Mudhole .com has customizable rod decals that look great, and are easy to apply to the rod. After applying, I like to coat them with a good epoxy. I now use the Gen 4 epoxy as it is very self leveling, and bubble free. Be aware though, it takes about 8 hours to set up enough that it no longer needs to be turned.

Tight Lines, and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Rick Boley (104.220.92.---)
Date: August 10, 2020 10:41PM

Try Proof Fly Fishing. He can do some custom signatures also.

Posted by: Harry Glenn (---)
Date: August 11, 2020 06:10PM

buy clear label paper from Neato.com. 8.5 x11 sheets of clear adhesive paper.. ink or laser printing on it.. their SKU # is CLR-FULL

they have on their site their own label software you can use for free to print the labels( nothing to down load or buy other than their paper)..one format they have has 30 labels on a page. their software is easy to use and works fine. you can select the color to use for printing. they sell the paper on Amazon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster