I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What Are the Best Lathe Tools for Turning Cork?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 03, 2020 09:21PM

As the title suggests, what lathe tool minimizes damage to cork while turning? Along the same milling vein, what turning speed seems to produce the best results? While realizing such a soft and inconsistent material as cork will always be prone to shredding and ripping chunks out while turning, there must be a specific tool which works better than all the others. Having limited experience, I am relying on you veterans to guide me in the correct direction. Morris Schlesinger’s article in RM 21-6 was very well received but did not explain which of the three suggested tools was a “spindle roughing gouge”, “skew chisel” or “standard spindle gouge” for us new to the craft. And then there are the tools with round or diamond shaped insert bits. Through my newbie eyes, I would think that a lengthwise radiused (like a split tube) tool would be more prone to shaving off material rather than ripping it out if held on a twisted angle but I am here to learn. I am also thinking the cutting edge a bit above center might be preferred.
My objective is to produce cork grips which are concentric and equal-diameter throughout the length (as in Tennessee handles). While holding a sandpaper-covered aluminum block of various grits against the tool rest has resulted in quite acceptable results, I am looking for a quicker, easier and more precise alternative.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Are the Best Lathe Tools for Turning Cork?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2020 10:59PM

Cork is best sanded. It's not hard enough to be cut with lathe tools. I do use a round nose scraper to get it concentric but once that is accomplished I turn to sandpaper for the shaping operation.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 04, 2020 12:04AM

Tom,
Thank you for your anticipated and welcomed reply. After watching numerous videos such as your offering, I am hoping to receive hands-on replies from other veteran builders as well to learn any tricks-of-the-trade. While I can accomplish concentricity, draping sand paper over the cork grip can be a bit less than perfect to accomplish such. While possibly (probably) splitting hairs, if a lathe tool will get me concentrically within .040-.060in of the final size without gouging it to death, I would be happier than a pig in slop! I still do not know the proper terminology of the different lathe tools.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.190.---)
Date: August 04, 2020 12:39AM

I use one of these for the initial roughing in. This tool keeps it concentric without gouging or tearing

[www.amazon.com]

Then use Klingspor paper back sandpaper Fron 60 down to 400 grit

Date: August 04, 2020 12:56AM

Thanks, Gary. I assume you use the Shinto tool against the tool rest?.?.?

Mark Talmo

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 04, 2020 10:35AM

A similar tool to the one that Gary uses, but it is called the surform planer.

[www.homedepot.com]

Functionally, it is essentially the same as the previous tool.

Yes, just rest the tool against the tool rest to give you a stable platform. Then, I start with 80 grip paper, used free hand on down to 600 grip paper for the final finish.

Depending on the cork, I will also generally use a final fill of Elmer's Light Oak wood filler to fill the voids in the cork and to leave the finished cork in a finely polished state.

I also generally use the back side of the finest grip of sand paper for the very last piece of grip preparation before gluing the grip on the rod, or if the grip was turned n the blank, the final piece of finish work on the grip.

Take care

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 04, 2020 01:37PM

Mark, any of the lathe tools you mention has the potential to gouge, especially during the early stages in turning, as the cork is not concentric. I too use the Surform tool to get within about 1/8" of desired diameter, then I go to sandpare starting with 8o grit. I highly recommend the Kingspor sandpaper, best I have ever found, introduced to it by Morris Schlesinger.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2020 04:47PM

Easy, quick, efficient, and storable.

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: August 04, 2020 05:07PM

Thank you also to Roger, Phil and John.

Mark Talmo

Date: August 05, 2020 02:50PM

Thank you to those replying. Apparently, the general consensus considers typical, rigid woodworking lathe tools appropriate only for initial concentricity of the cork handle. I have used “cheese graters” similar to the Shinto and Surform tools (with a lengthwise convex surface) for other applications in the past and they seem to be a good candidate for turning cork as well = good suggestion. I have not heard of Klingspor abrasives but the little research I have done finds it to be held in very high regard with many. It may be worth trying but is a bit hard to find; too bad Rockler does not carry it.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---)
Date: August 06, 2020 10:46AM

A fairly coarse double-cut file also works for taking the high spots off a cork handle.

Date: August 07, 2020 02:18PM

Thanks, Dan. I have actually tried that.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster