I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Paint
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: August 01, 2020 09:11PM

I have a new CTS Quartz CristalGlass blank. with a gorgeous lime-green finish. In removing some thread wraps due to an imperfection, I accidentally removed a little paint. Can anyone recomend a paint, or ink that will adhere to this very smooth rod blank. I want to make this little piece of the blank beautiful again. Any help would be appreciated.

Tight Lines and Frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Paint
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2020 09:23PM

Robert,
I wouldn't try to match paint.
Depending what guide it is - you may try lengthening the wrap to cover the flaw.
If you want - I will contact the factory to see if they will send you a small paint sample. But you will see the patch.

You can always get a new section for $41. Contact me if you want to do that.
BTW - that is one reason, besides weight, that I always get my personal blanks in the CTS' P2000 finish - raw carbon or raw glass.
Herb
Distrib. CTS Rod Blanks

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 01, 2020 11:21PM

If you are using colored thread, just cover that area with thread and you will be fine.

Date: August 02, 2020 12:01AM

Herb, how do I contact you. I really want this rod to be perfect.

Tight Lines and frisky fish

RJF

Date: August 02, 2020 12:41AM

hladen@hotmail.com

Those glass colors are fantastic -aren't they??
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2020 12:42AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 02, 2020 12:41AM

...... I was late with the info

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2020 01:30PM by Bill Sidney.

Date: August 02, 2020 01:23PM

I was able to move the guide about a sixteenth of an inch and re-wrap. The thread covered the visual blemish. I checked the spine on all four sections to just make sue everything lined up properly/ I just have two more guides to wrap, and the hook keeper. This thing is almost done. I can hardly wait to cast it. Thanks everyone,for your replies. I like this board.

If any of you love to cook, another great board is discusscooking.com. You can fin me there as Chief Longwind of the North. I know it has nothing to do with rod building, but is a great place to find great ways to prepare fish.

tight Lines, and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 02, 2020 03:42PM

CTS generally provides alignment marks on their blanks.

Date: August 02, 2020 06:12PM

Phil, that clears up a concern that I had. Someone else told me those marks showed where the spine was. When I tested each section, the marks did not line up with the spine. Now I know why. I found it hard to believe that a rod company with the reputation of CTS could get it so wrong. They didn't. All is good. Thanks.

Tight Lines and frisky dish

RJF

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 02, 2020 08:09PM

Herb are you selling our stocking the CTS Crystal Coat rod finish? Thanks! Jay

Date: August 02, 2020 09:16PM

Re CTS spine marks. They are on the bottom of a fly rod blank.
I don't order them for my personal blanks for two reasons:
1. They are on the bottom - is cumbersome with reel attached.
2. Mark on female ferrule is covered with thread wrap.

Re Crystal Coat: I ordered a few small kits. They are out of stock - the size and price has changed. I will post when I know details.
Herb

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 03, 2020 03:38AM

Thank You! <º))))><

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster