I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Walleye Trolling Rod/Guides
Posted by: Lin Amann (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2020 07:49PM

Hey all,

I know this topic has been posted about but wanted to see if I can get a little bit more specific info.

I live on the gulf coast and 95% of my builds are for inshore purposes. Have a client that lives in the mid west and wants a walleye trolling rod.

Don't have much experience with this type of build.

Here are the specifics the client has asked for:

7 foot spinning
Medium
Moderate
2000 size reel using 6-8# mono line. (doesn't use any sinkers or weights... only uses crankbaits and other diving lures)

Couple questions...

1. Would the Rainshadow RDR70M blank be a good choice? I've talked to several people who love building on this blank for trolling walleye. I wonder if its a tad too big for using 6-8# mono? (its rated for 10-17 pound line) What other blanks would be good options?

2. I normally use the Fuji KR Concept guide build (KLH, KB, KT) How would this setup work for a walleye trolling rod? Assuming it would work fine since its a pretty light build but wanted to get everyone's opinion and maybe find a better solution that I'm uneducated about?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Walleye Trolling Rod/Guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 01, 2020 09:08PM

Lin,
I build a lot of Walleye rods up here in the upper midwest.

The blank that you are considering == [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

RDM70M is an excellent choice.

Here is the blue print for building that particular blank - which is certainly a very good starting point.

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Posted by: Lin Amann (---.lightspeed.snantx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 02, 2020 04:30PM

Roger,

Appreciate the feedback! Would you move down to the RDR70L since they are using 6# test mono or will the RDR70M be a good choice? The client has asked for a medium but I think in this case , the RDR70L would be a better option for how he's using it. Will take your advice since you have much more experience with this blank than I!

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2020 04:26AM

See what his trolling techniques are. Very common for walleye trollers to use clip on planer boards to get the line out from the boat. Also you might be surprised by how big some the lures we run are.They add a lot of resistance and in turn typically we run a heavier rod than is needed for the fish we are after. If he is just flat line trolling he could probable get by with the lighter blank. But with the heavy shock of a fish hitting a trolled bait and the possibility of hooking darn near anything the extra strength of the med blank is a good thing. Personally I would try to find a blank that split the difference if I couldn't I would go with the med. But I would want to handle the lighter blank first. Several Rainshadow blanks I have used, in my mind run heavier than spec. If that is the case of the lighter blank I would have a hard time choosing between the two.

Posted by: Lin Amann (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2020 03:29PM

Thanks Michael,

He just normally flat lines when trolling. I talked to him today and he already has several light setups so he defintiely wants to go with the medium 10-17 pound test blank.

As far as the handle, are you normally putting a few extra inches along with a longer foregrip?

My plan is to have a 9 inch full cork handle, VSS fuji real seat and a 2-3 inch foregrip. Do you see any reason why this wouldnt work well? Wondering if I need to build the handle out longer than my normal inshore builds?

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: August 03, 2020 06:10PM

Might want to see if he wants more foregrip.Three inches would be just barely enough to get a good grip as you pull it from some rodholders. I like around 4 inches. No trouble getting a grip without being on the rod.

Rear grip will be fine. As it is spinning rod much longer will be uncomfortable. Much longer and you would have butt the rod in your waist and reel. No need to do that with walleye. One hand grip with rear grip under forearm works fine.

Posted by: Brian Gross (50.226.78.---)
Date: August 04, 2020 09:22AM

We do a lot of walleye fishing here in Minnesota and I build my walleye trolling rods on the RX7 crankbait blanks, the REVCB70M is what I would use in your case.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 04, 2020 10:40AM

For several years, I have not put any fore grip on any rod that I build. Unless you are fishing for very big fish, there is little reason to have a fore grip on the typical fishing rod.

One can take a rod out of a grip very easily by just grabbing the blank in front of the reel.

Take care

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---)
Date: August 04, 2020 03:58PM

I have built a lot of trolling rods for walleye. The best have always been from hot shot blanks. I have used St. Croix and Loomis in the past. The last few years I have been using RodGeek and NFC Delta series. I use 8'-8'2" one piece for most of my rods. Otherwise 8'-9' two piece. The hotshot blank has excellent power and extra fast tip. I would use at least a 2" fore grip. Most walleye trollers will be using a rod holder at least part of the time. Also, the fore grip will help with fatigue if they are hand holding for a long time. The fore grip will help when fighting the bigger fish or for reeling in the rods when they are fishing with boards. I build the rods with EVA foam for both grips. The foam is tougher for rod holders and I always use an exposed reel seat. I use Fuji double foot guides for the first couple than to single foot, I want to retain the action as much as possible. I have built the last couple of sets with spiral wrap and the guys have told me they are the best rods they have ever fished with. These guys are contently pulling flies (Wisconsin thing) and bottom bouncers.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2020 04:04PM by Doug Schreiber.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster