I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Who's built a North Fork (X-Ray NEO) MB 765-1?
Posted by: Justin Hires (199.230.203.---)
Date: July 31, 2020 05:31AM

Just got 2 of these in along with some more MB-736's. Doing the CCS on the NEO, this blank has lots of power and I can't determine AA on it. My scale weights it out to be 3.30 oz. Get the proper weight added for test puts it almost 90 deg. and tip section stays straight for like 4+ inches. Taper barely changes from the butt up to 2ft. Then it starts and quicker taper.

Anyone built one of these? Ordered it to make into crankbait rods. Had thought cut down to 7' or 7' 3" for smaller cranks like square bills etc. and other keeping it long for big cranks. Not sure now if can use for smaller cranks? Didn't have time to do more testing on hanging light weights etc. on it, after doing all the CCS on it and other rods I got in. I did notice both NEO's have a weird blemish about half way up rod. Has triangle shapes black to gray looking, hard to explain. Going to contact them about that.

What you all using it for and how do you like it?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who's built a North Fork (X-Ray NEO) MB 765-1?
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---)
Date: July 31, 2020 09:58AM

I have one with the same coloration pattern. I would assume that is due to the composite nature of the blank. I have not used it much yet, I put a 6" swimbait on it for testing, which maxes it out for sure but it weights over 2 oz with the weighted hook. Mine weighed the same (3.290 oz). Interesting blank, but I have not used it much yet so I cannot offer practical advice on it.

Posted by: Pete Rinkevich (---.cdn77.com)
Date: July 31, 2020 11:05PM

Same color pattern on mine. Unfortunately I haven't built mine out nor have I run it thru CCS testing. Mine weighed in at 3.30 oz also. I plan to build as a spinning rod and pair it with 4000 or 5000 reel to fish heavy cover for snook. I believe I will also use it for nearshore permit fishing when soaking crabs.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: August 01, 2020 08:16AM

I have mine built out and am doing testing on it this weekend. Will be using squarebills, swimjigs and 4”& under rage swimbaits.

Posted by: Justin Hires (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2020 11:51AM

Thanks for the replies guys! Guess the weird color pattern is normal from what you guys say. So, I will not bother with contacting NFC about it.

Date: August 01, 2020 12:01PM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have mine built out and am doing testing on it
> this weekend. Will be using squarebills, swimjigs
> and 4”& under rage swimbaits.

Thomas, I am eager to hear how the test goes. You cut the blank any? I have been building MB 736's and SJ 736. Have not had time to do more checking into the NEO yet. Been very happy with the 736's other than small blemishes and blanks being a little crooked. I can look past that when they fish so well. I am more concerned with functionality. I am not good yet at making a rod look pretty anyway. Yet to build one at full length.

Date: August 01, 2020 04:53PM

Justin,
Well I just got off the water and the swim jig is where it was at for today. I had 9 bites and never missed one. The largest was a 6.76 and just for giggles I boat flipped it to see how the blank would take it. It handled it with ease. I am pleased so far. I have a tournament tomorrow and a state qualifier next weekend so I won’t be doing more “testing “ for a couple weeks.

Tom

Posted by: Justin Hires (---)
Date: August 02, 2020 04:58AM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
> Justin,
> Well I just got off the water and the swim jig is
> where it was at for today. I had 9 bites and never
> missed one. The largest was a 6.76 and just for
> giggles I boat flipped it to see how the blank
> would take it. It handled it with ease. I am
> pleased so far. I have a tournament tomorrow and a
> state qualifier next weekend so I won’t be doing
> more “testing “ for a couple weeks.
>
> Tom

Tom, that is awesome! Can't beat catching a fish like that and the others without a miss on the first test!
So far my biggest is just over 5lb on a SJ 736. And I my catch ratio has went up in a major way, since I have been building and using these SJ and MB blanks. Think I am around 30 catches with them and lost 4 and two were line breaks (one my fault for sure). My main problem had been losing them during the fight. My landing ratio has been suffering badly past 2 years. Had been trying to figure out what the problem is. Finally came around to deciding to build rods custom to me. So far it has been paying off. Guess sometimes one needs to find better tools that fit or suit you. Seeing that I am not tall, longer rods and longer rod handles are not for me. Same thing when I started making my own topwater and soft plastics some years ago. Lots of work these hobbies, but helpful and usually fun in the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2020 05:02AM by Justin Hires.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: August 04, 2020 09:18AM

Well, I have had 2 NEO,'s waiting on builds and just started one for a good client. He purchased 4 xrays from me already. 3 MB 736 and SJ03. In less than a week he snapped 2 of the MB736 and now he is uncertain if he wants the NEO. I told him I'd give him the rod to finish off the season to test it out. I feel like a heal pushing the Xrays on him but they feel everything and are crisp. Just maybe not having a smooth finish allows small fissure that go undetected until really stressed. I can say I will not be using Xray blanks anymore. NFC has been good about replacing but we'll see how they handle this second one as it happened this morning. I look the blanks over as best as I can when I get them. Shipping and packaging has been awsome so not damaged there. I flex them pretty good prior to building and toss around some weight in the yard after building. I don't know what else I could do.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---)
Date: August 04, 2020 01:21PM

Maybe post some pictures of the broken rods and someone here can help ID the cause based on the location and kind of break. I have been updating all my rods with X-rays. Making me nervous...

Posted by: Justin Hires (199.230.203.---)
Date: August 05, 2020 03:50AM

Mark D Schulte Wrote:
> Well, I have had 2 NEO,'s waiting on builds and
> just started one for a good client. He purchased 4
> xrays from me already. 3 MB 736 and SJ03. In less
> than a week he snapped 2 of the MB736 and now he
> is uncertain if he wants the NEO. I told him I'd
> give him the rod to finish off the season to test
> it out. I feel like a heal pushing the Xrays on
> him but they feel everything and are crisp. Just
> maybe not having a smooth finish allows small
> fissure that go undetected until really stressed.
> I can say I will not be using Xray blanks anymore.
> NFC has been good about replacing but we'll see
> how they handle this second one as it happened
> this morning. I look the blanks over as best as I
> can when I get them. Shipping and packaging has
> been awsome so not damaged there. I flex them
> pretty good prior to building and toss around some
> weight in the yard after building. I don't know
> what else I could do.

I agree with Dean. Also, wonder if got a few bad ones out of a production run. Hope this is not something we are going to be seeing or hearing about a lot of breakages. These rods have been out on the market for what a year and a half?? If this is a common problem, it is not getting reported during the google searches I have made.
I have 3 MB 736, and 1 SJ-736 built that I have been fishing pretty regular for the past 3-4 weeks. I have caught over 30+ bass so far 3 at 4lbs and biggest 5.1lb So far no issues. I have 2 more SJ-736 and the NEO I am working on now. I am however using 10 guides on most of them. Trying my best to keep the line from laying on the rod or dropping under the rod in a 90deg bend. Had a few manufactured rods that the line dropped below the rod and wrapped the guide and snapped on hookset.

Back to the NEO though. I started a static load test to position guides yesterday, ran out of time. But, it is looking like to keep line off the rod, this thing is crazy. Doing a 7 to 7' 1" . Looks like guides will be stacked up at like 2- 2 1/2 " from the tip (have to measure) but for like 8" or so? Rather not order bigger guides. I am using Fuji KW 5 runners.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (199.116.115.---)
Date: August 05, 2020 10:56AM

Justin, how would you compare the SJ 736 and the MB 736? I just finished the SJ 736 but have not fished it much and have to order one more guide so I can finish the MB 736.

Date: August 05, 2020 04:09PM

David, the SJ is a much more powerful blank iMO it to me makes a fine all around stick. I use one for heavy shakey heads, light 4” open hook swimbaits, small to medium jigs and lighter Texas rigs.

Posted by: Justin Hires (---)
Date: August 05, 2020 07:26PM

Dean Veltman Wrote:
> Justin, how would you compare the SJ 736 and the
> MB 736? I just finished the SJ 736 but have not
> fished it much and have to order one more guide so
> I can finish the MB 736.
Thomas is right about it being more powerful but not by much. It has a faster action too. It will cast 1/4oz fine, but feels light and not the best sensitivity at that weight for TX rig. Where as the MB-736 is very sensitive at 1/4oz TX rig. Basically, to me the SJ performs better with a 1/4oz more weight than the MB. Currently, I feel the sweet spot for MB is around 1/2oz and SJ around 3/4oz (these are actual weights tungsten/soft plastic). Seems about right seeing the MB is less powerful, slower tip than the SJ. But, I am comparing SJ 6' 9" to MB 7' 1".

The SJ 6' 9" I use for spinner baits 3/8 to 1/2oz and also works well for walk the dog spooks/chubs. I tested it also on soft plastics. But, currently prefer the MB for soft plastic.Other SJ's are not finished, one will be 7 this one plan on using for topwater maybe cranks or heavier TX rig', the other a duplicate 6' 9" hopefully. I never checked CCS before building it. But, I checked both of the other 2 blank SJ's. I checked them as if they were 7' 1". One was AA 74, 834grams. The other AA 74, 798 grams. The 3 MB's blanks checked at 7'1": AA 72 811grams, AA 72 800grams, AA72 778grams and the butt diameters were .61-.625. You can take this info. as a gran of salt though. New to this, but checked CCS on them a couple of times. Very interesting also comparing them on the CRB chart side by side. I took some pictures of them on the chart, but don't know how to post them. Could email them if wanted.

Date: August 08, 2020 05:46AM

I built the NEO and cut it down to 7' 1" with a 9" handle. Before cutting blank weighed in at 3.30oz. After the cut the blank weighed in at 2.98oz. Using the static load testing method I went with 10 guides. I used a Fuji Ecsm reel seat. After the build it weighed in at 4.48oz.

Testing: Using 12 fluorocarbon, 17lb mono. Lightest lure using 12lb fluorocarbon I tried was a KVD 1.0 crank that is 1/4oz. It cast it pretty well, but felt light. Could use it in a pinch The 1.5 crank 3/8oz worked very well, as did a 5xd and 6XD/1.0oz (that was the heaviest I tried). I really liked it for cranking. Using 17lb mono: Threw a 3/8 swim jig and 3/8oz Rock/football jig. Guessing total weight trailer etc. around 1/2oz. If worked very well for these, and I really liked it for working a Rock/football jig. Never tried any heavier but I am confident could use up to 1oz jig effectively. I caught 4 on it with 2lb being the biggest, was almost not fair how easy it set the hook and pulled in a 2lber lol. As far a feel/sensitivity it was very good and certainty best sensitive cranking rod I have used. In comparison to the MB/SJ 736's not as sensitive as these but close. Now what I would like to see North Fork Composites is a NEO Zentron Fiber/X-Ray Blank in the same action that I can build 7' that will work smaller cranks 3/16 to 3/8oz.

Thanks for all the replies and questions, this board has helped me a lot. I hope this wright up helps someone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster