I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Suggestion
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 28, 2020 02:31PM

I am looking for 2 reels for a build for my two youngest grandchildren. Boy is seven and girl is ten years old. They have already picked their rods and both are 6ft and moderate fast action. I have been going back to the 1950's when i was a kid and my push button zebco, but having done a little research on zebco reels the reviews are not to good. I was thinking spin cast or a under spin reel, so any suggestions appreciated. I will be putting 6lb mono on the reels.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Suggestion
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: July 28, 2020 03:42PM

Roger

I would suggest a 1000 series open face spinning reel. I found out that children are pretty smart and learn fast. My granddaughter was casting her own rod at eight, she is ten now and can cast a spinning rod with the best of them. It took a little patience and encouragement and she picked it up quickly.

I would start with 8 lb test until they become more proficient then back down to lighter test lines.

You are smart in starting them with a quality rod less chance of forming bad habits.

Have fun

Posted by: Roger Rierson (75.183.75.---)
Date: July 28, 2020 04:40PM

Thanks John, hadn't thought about a spinning reel. That might be the way to go.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 28, 2020 05:21PM

Roger,

Little size 10 or 1000 spinning reels are a great choice, but my kids (7 and 10) still work with Zebcos. They have UL and L powered rods with Zebco 11's and 22's. Those reels just haven't changed over the years and consist of the same pot metal gears and plastic parts that they had in the 80s and 90s of my youth. I think they are still produced, but Zebco had a model called the Rhino that had sizes that were similar to the 22 and 33. That reel made use of a few ball bearings and better fit and finish in the parts. They were a nice upgrade without a significant price hike.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 28, 2020 06:18PM

I'm going to suggest a regular spinning reel too. Kids grow fast and I don't think it wise to provide equipment that puts them at a handicap. I also think a parent should not underestimate the sentimental attachment a child may develop "for things that Dad gave me".

For those of use lucky enough to have received a Winchester 94 for our birthday....would you ever part with that rifle? .....has it become so antiquated as to no longer be viable at it's job?

I don't think you can go wrong with a Shimano Stradic 2500. It will serve them well, in fresh or saltwater, for a very long time. The Daiwa BG would be a solid choice if budget is an issue.

I'm sure a few of us still have a Mitchell 300, or a Penn 704. I sure wish I still had that first generation Shimano Bantam....or TLD 5.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 28, 2020 07:04PM

I think the Abu spincast reels are superior to Zebcos.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 28, 2020 07:13PM

Spencer would be correct. I would go with spinners also, at least you don't have to unscrew the cap every time it gets fouled up. lol

Posted by: joseph karow (---)
Date: July 28, 2020 08:04PM

I vote for the Mitchell 300 , made to last life time`s.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: July 29, 2020 12:58AM

The first spin cast reel I ever used was the Mitchel 300, purchased in the early 1970's. It was bulletproof, and never failed me. After 15 years of fishing with it for brookies, pike, perch, and whatever else was biting, I caught and landed a King salmon with that reel. If it will haul in a King Salmon, for its size, that was one sturdy reel. There are more expensive reels on the market, but none that I think are made better. I passed that reel, and fiberglass rod down to my eldest daughter. It's still her favorite rod & real combo.

RJF

Date: July 29, 2020 11:19AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.digicelbroadband.com)
Date: July 30, 2020 07:39PM

I taught my daughters to fly cast at 4 and 6. It was pretty funny giving them spinning rods when they were your grandchildren's age and watching them strip off line and try to cast, Now whenever I ask them if they want to go fishing they tell me "only if it's not fly fishing". Don't worry those kids will be able to cast a spinning rod and reel pretty quick.

Posted by: Don Mang (---)
Date: July 31, 2020 08:09AM

Roger, I buy, repair, and restore Mitchell reels. These reels are not hard to work on, Wallace Carney has a very good youtube video, to repair and maintain the 300. I have (2) 300's I can send to you, all I ask is the cost of shipping. I am a strong advocate of young anglers, I give 2 or 3 UL rods and reels, away at kids fishing rodeo's. If your interested email me, subject line Mitchell 300 for kids (I'll know to open it). They will be ready to fish, just need new line. I'm sure your grandchildren can past them on to their kids, and their grendchildren.
Don

Date: July 31, 2020 08:44AM

Thanks Don for the kind offer but i have already got 2 Cardinal 10's. Again thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster