I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snook rod guide train?
Posted by: David Janes (---)
Date: July 27, 2020 06:11PM

I started on this project a while back and did not get to far. I got distracted with some other rods and fishing so now I’m back to it. The blank is a Rainshadow SP842 7’ 6-12lb and will be built as a casting rod. I plan on using 12 to 15 lb braid throwing light plugs and plastics. So as for the guides I don’t want them to big that they take away from the rod but big enough to handle the larger fish it might deal with. Would I start with a 12 double foot and work down to a 7 or 6, or do I want to still stay larger. Also considering 20 lb mono leader knots that might need to run through them. I hope this is not to confusing.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snook rod guide train?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 27, 2020 08:22PM

Never heard of a correlation between fish species or size and guide sizes. Its more about the power of the rod, and your rod is not that powerful. So no need for beefy guides.

I would build it with the Fuji RV6 then whatever size ring after that that will clear your knots, most likely no smaller than 5's. More likely 5.5's. There is no real advantage in going smaller, IMO. I'd use 3 or 4 KB's then KT's. LG tiptop.

Posted by: David Janes (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2020 02:51PM

I guess one of my concerns with the guide size is that if the foot could be to small and not have enough thread wraps on it for the amount of pressure that may be exerted on them. And thank you for your feedback and input.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 28, 2020 03:34PM

Do a locking wrap if you are concerned about pull out. Micheal’s guide selection is a good one. If you don’t like the looks of the RV6 or its increased price because it only comes in a titanium frame, then use a KW10, followed by a KW 5.5 as a transition guide, followed by KB/KT runners in a size of your choice. I mostly use size 4.5 runners even when fishing for inshore species like reds up to 25#. However, size 5 or 5.5 runners will also work very well. I use an FG knot for my leader to braid connection and it will easily pass through 4.5 runners. The reels I’m using are low profile Shimano Curados 15# and 20# braid to a 20# fluorocarbon leader.
Norm

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 28, 2020 06:34PM

David, I think I build that blank for seatrout and redfish. For snook I'd want more rod, say the IMMP70MH-TC or even IMMP70H-TC. I Love the titanium-chrome rainshadows. If you want to spend less look at the REVIP70MH-SB. All my snook have been around some type of cover. If you can get them in the open water then move forward with what you have.

Assuming a low profile baitcaster I'd go with Mr. Miller's suggestions on guides.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: David Janes (---)
Date: July 28, 2020 09:33PM

Thanks for the reply’s and input. I picked that blank to throw smaller lures in our small coastal rivers and creeks. I have bigger stronger rod set ups, but trying to cast lighter smaller plugs in close quarters just doesn’t work that well. This build is actually somewhat of an experiment. I should really be building a spinning rod for this, but I love the control of a casting rod in these tight close quarter areas.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 29, 2020 12:45PM

Good suggestion from Norm on the locking wrap. If unfamiliar check it out in the library. It is so quick and easy that I doubt it adds 10 seconds to a wrap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster