I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow Revelation Crankbait vs Popping Blanks
Date: July 26, 2020 04:51PM

I recently sold off some of my older personal builds and I’m looking to build myself another squarebill rod. My current #1 squarebill setup is built on a REVCB70M. Love this setup for 1.5 and 1.0 size lures. I found a REVIP70M left over that I haven’t built on yet. Wondering how this blank would stack up against the CB70M. I can always do what I usually do when a build doesn’t pan out like expected and sell it, but I was hoping someone might have some insight before I start on the build. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2020 07:26PM by Christian Gerstner Jr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Revelation Crankbait vs Popping Blanks
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2020 06:17PM

[www.mudhole.com]

The best way to compare blanks side by side when you have both on hand. You put the blanks/rods on side by side and hang equivalent weights from the tip. You can tell at a glance in how the blanks compare in terms of power and action. The other way to make a good comparison is with CCS numbers.

However, since you have both blanks on hand, even without a duplicator on hand, you should be able to flex them and make a pretty good subjective comparison between them. Lay your hand along the tip and flex them to compare how the tip strength feels, lay them along the floor and flex them to get a feel for how the lower end power compares. Lay your hand on the side of the blank and flex at various points to see how the blanks compare under various loads.

I'm willing to bet that you can find a useful application for that popping blank if you build it out.

Date: July 26, 2020 07:24PM

Thanks Joe. Very helpful info. I’m noticing that the popping blank seems slightly “heavier” than the CB blank. A little beefier all the way through from the butt to the tip. The popping blank also seems to have a more parabolic bend to it as opposed to the CB. Might turn out to be a nice lipless blank. I think I’m going to build it out exactly like my current setup and see how it does.

Since you brought up finding an application... I’m not sure if this is a bad habit (so far I’ve always come out on the positive financial side), but I tend to get rid of most of my builds because they don’t pan out as planned for the application I had in mind. I’ve been on this crankbait rod kick lately... trying to find the right fit for my body type and how I fish. Pretty sure this will be my
7th or 8th attempt at the perfect “open water squarebill” rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2020 07:26PM by Christian Gerstner Jr.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 26, 2020 09:12PM

Apparently, there must be a positive financial side! lol I think I've built about 10 different "perfect" dropshot rods in the last few years and my kid has most of them. I'm about to start another one. Having trouble getting parts just now.

Date: July 26, 2020 09:29PM

I’m still pretty new to rod building, but apparently my fishing buddies like the work I do lol. If I get my money back for parts I feel like I’m doing ok. I’m probably right at 50 total builds since I started and I only have 6 or 7 of them in my arsenal. Pretty interested to see how this build turns out. My build on the REVCB70M is great for 1.0 and “finesse” squarebill cranks (usually 1/4oz or less). This popping blank might do a little better with a “1.5” size/style squarebill (3/8-1/2oz). It’s either that, a lipless crank rod, or it’ll be for sale lol.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 27, 2020 06:24AM

I've been using Batson's 8 ft XP964 popping blank for square bill crank baits for close to 10 years now.
It is amazing for that technique
Also great for top water prop baits

Batson's Popping blanks make great crank bait rods I Just prefer the 8ft length

Bob McKamey posted this about them couple years back
Many, many years ago before they were the branded "Crankbait Blanks", we used popping rod blanks for cranking rods. The original, true to from popping blank is generally a blank that would have a softer mid and tip flex than a mag bass, that has a powerful butt and mid section with a fast tip. Some finesse bass anglers also like the popping blanks and as Steve Gardner mention, top water prop baits or top water poppers.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 27, 2020 08:06AM

Agree wiith Steve, Rainshadow RX 7's (Revelation) are very good for the price. Select based on lure weight planned. Easy, accurate, casting., very responsive.

Date: July 27, 2020 11:36AM

Steve,
Thanks for your input. The blanks have the same power, action and weight rating so I figured they would be similar. A few years ago, I probably would’ve went with a 7’6” blank for this build, but I’ve recently started using shorter rods. Another idea I had was the 6’8” Revelation blank specifically designed for squarebills and making the handle a few inches shorter. Think that would be great for target casting cover with a squarebill.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: July 27, 2020 06:35PM

Not on the subject of the popping blank versus crankbait blank, but I built a rod specifically for target casting squarebills to wood cover. I built it on a Rainshadow RX7 (now Revelation series) CB66MH blank. I wanted the rod to be 6' in length, so I took 6 inches off the butt. I absolutely love it, and for me the 6' length helps with my casting accuracy.

It also makes, and I can't emphasize this enough, it makes an awesome for working smaller walking baits, and small to medium size poppers. It was the second rod I ever built, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 28, 2020 04:36PM

You're welcome Christian.

I'm a little bit of an oddball in that I've always used 8 ft rods for target casting square bills .

I find that when running the trolling motor from a standing position the 8 ft rod is long enough to reach out past it
Permitting the rod to be angled down toward the waters surface, allowing the bait to be cast from a starting point of about 12 to 18 inches above the surface.
Making it easier for me to cast under docks and low hanging limbs quite efficiently

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2020 04:37PM by Steve Gardner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster