I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ghost wraps
Posted by: Rick Boley (104.220.92.---)
Date: July 25, 2020 09:06PM

I'm going for my first attempt at ghost wraps on a Blue Halo 3wt. I have a question regarding threadmaster lite and adding denatured alcohol to thin it for these wraps. I'm in California and denatured alcohol is illegal due to its VOC. Can I use Acetone or paint thinner instead? I'm concerned that the wraps won't be clear if I use a different chemical to thin the Threadmaster.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ghost wraps
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: July 25, 2020 09:42PM

There was a similar topic last week that had varying opinions. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 25, 2020 10:05PM

Acetone.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 26, 2020 01:08AM

Being a natural product, silk absorbs far more epoxy than nylon, that is why it disappears on your rod so much better. I "never" thin epoxy, especially an epoxy that is already formulated to be thin. Test it yourself, put a wrap on the blank where the grip or reel seat will go and see for yourself. You'll never see that part again after you do your build.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2020 01:12AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: July 26, 2020 09:13AM

Rick

Use acetone. Mix 3 CC each of resin and hardener for 3 minutes. Add 3 cc of acetone and mix again for 2 minutes. Viscosity will be about like whole milk - almost like water.

Epoxy curing (epoxy does not "dry") is a chemical process where the resin and hardener react to form cured epoxy. The acetone both reduces viscosity and keeps the resin and hardener molecules apart until the acetone evaporates. Thus it will take longer for the epoxy to cure than it otherwise would.

CAUTION: Acetone is bad stuff. It goes through skin in a hurry. If you are sensitive to one of the components of uncured epoxy (and it is not an uncommon sensitivity i.e., allergy) the reaction (allergic dermatitis) can be bad - very bad. I've been there and still have the T shirt. Wear gloves, use face protection, and work in a well ventilated area..

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 26, 2020 09:02PM

Acetone is the primary ingredient in nail polish remover, hence absorption thru the skin is not it's greatest danger. Breathing the fumes is the greater threat.

Posted by: Rick Boley (104.220.92.---)
Date: August 01, 2020 03:54PM

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and used straight threadmaster light. It turned out perfect.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster