I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy drying
Posted by: Lee Bossley (---.cpe.sparklight.net)
Date: July 25, 2020 08:16AM

My epoxy coat is staying tacky 24- 36 hrs. I've recoated after 36 hrs,but still same results. I'am mixing equal amounts , mixing it for 2-3 min. Do I need to remove epoxy and start over?

Thank for your Help
Lee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy drying
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: July 25, 2020 09:28AM

Need more info.

What epoxy?

Have you used the same batch before with success.

Mixed by volume or weight.

What does manufacturer suggest.

Ambient conditions (temp- humidity) during mixing, applying and drying.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 25, 2020 09:31AM

Before you try removing the epoxy, take the rod and set it outside in the 90 degree sun shine for a day on the dryer and see if that will finally kick it off.

If that fails, then - consider removing the epoxy and starting over.

As a test mix up a fresh batch of finish and lay it out thin on a piece of aluminum foil and set it outside in the sunshine for a day. If this batch does not get hard, then I suggest that you pitch the epoxy and purchase a new batch.

You are sure that you have part A and part B - epoxy that you are mixing?

Normally epoxy is good for several years without going bad. May I ask the name of the finish that you are using?

Take care

Date: July 25, 2020 10:32AM

The epoxy I'am using is Pro Kote . I opened a new set just to try that . I'am got to try setting it up in the sun or outsde in the garage . I'am in texas on the gulf coast no sun right now.

I thank everyone for replies

Thanks Lee

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 25, 2020 11:03AM

you made a mistake and used either resin or hardener twice.
take all wraps off and rewrap.
herb

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 25, 2020 11:17AM

Tacky is a relative term. Try everything possible before rewrapping. Nothing to lose. Pro Kote stays tacky a long time, so the heat/sun recommendations may work. Also, if you in fact used the same component twice, it will never harden. It doesn't dry, it has a chemical reaction between the two components. If you made a minor error in measuring you may be able to wait a while to give it the chance to harden. And even then, if it is a little tacky but not really sticky, you can try another coat of properly measured, properly mixed, tested in advance, epoxy.

Are you measuring with syringes? If not, that is a problem that will sooner or later sting you. Maybe right now.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2020 11:18AM

Humidity has no effect on cure time. Temperature, however, has a great deal to do with cure time. Typically, in hot weather and assuming your shop is equally warm this time of year, your epoxy should be setting and curing faster than it does in the winter months.

If you use the bottle for both parts, the finish will not even begin to get tacky - it will simply be the same consistency as it was in the bottle it came out of.

You might try mixing for an additional minute and see if that helps.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 25, 2020 12:17PM

Mr. Kirkman stated what had been my problem when I first started building rods some years ago.

I was mixing finish for about 1 1/2 minutes. I had a couple of rods come out tacky.

Now, I use the clock and mix for a minimum of 120 seconds or 2 minutes. Most of the time, by the clock - I mix for 180 seconds or 3 minutes. I use plastic 2 oz cups and a craft stick to mix the finish. I frequently scrape the sides of the mixing dish, as well as to scrape off each side of the mixing stick as I mix. This insures that there is no part of the mix that is not completely mixed.

Take care

Date: July 25, 2020 05:20PM

thanks I'am going to let it sit before I start over. Next mix I will use syringe to measure and mix longer.

Thanks for the help
Lee

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2020 05:46PM

I had assumed you were using syringes to measure. If not, then that is almost certainly your problem. And keep in mind that the less you mix the more accurate you have to be - less margin for error.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 25, 2020 10:13PM

Some finishes are more troublesome than others.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: July 25, 2020 10:51PM

I use pumps screwed right on the bottles, 2CC pumps to be exact , and have been for thirty + years . Ive seen no better answer in the last forty years. your mileage may very.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 26, 2020 07:40AM

If there is any epoxy that will mixed well, it will be at the edge of the "puddle," so stay away from the edges when dipping your tool. I don't think that is the problem here, but a good habit to get into.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster