I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My Experience With CTS Crystal Coat
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2020 04:39AM

A while back I asked about this finish. A member of the board kindly sent me a sample. I was a little worried about the finish from what I had read online. Well I had no need to worry. I have also found my new finish.

Yes it took longer to setup than other finishes. But it went on so easy leveled great never saw a bubble. Finish seems to be glossier than others.If I was not so picky one coat would be enough. Biggest issue was a brush that decided to start shedding while applying the finish. There was nothing that needed to be touched up just a couple spots I would like to touch up. As thin as this finish goes on a light second coat should be super easy.

Now for my technique. I went 3 parts resin to 2 parts hardner my volume. I mixed it with a diy motorized epoxy mixer. Mixed three minutes. Then I poured it into a new container and mixed another three minutes then poured it out on foil. These steps seem to be important CTS suggests the transfer and mix twice. When the finish on the rod was set the second mixing cup was as well. However the residue in the first mixing cup was still tacky. I brushed the finish on with stiff lightly loaded brush trying to keep the first coat as thin as possible. I did my usual technique of applying the finish a bit heavy at the ends of the wrap and pulling the finish lengthwise to the center of the wraps to what looked aprox level.

I applied finish in aprox 70 degree room. After I applied I used the CRB roddrying tent and bench heater than got the tent up to around 82. Note on the CRB roddrying tent. It works well. But it could be built a little better and it is not as portable as I would like. To be portable you have to take it apart and put back together. It looks so easy but assembly is a pain. Have not trying taking it apart yet.

I rotated the rod for 12 hours at aprox 6 rpm. At that time I removed the heater. My finish on my foil tray was soft yet. Setup but soft enough that you could of rolled into a ball. Left the rod alone. Checked things another 36 hours later. Perfect. Finish setup and seems nearly 100 percent cured. Would compare it threadmaster after about about 18 hours. So not absolutely cured but you would have to make a serious effort to damage the finish.

For personal use rods and low volume building where curing times are not important this is a great option. I really only have time on the weekends to work on my various hobbies. I can work on things over the weekend, apply finish to a rod sunday evening. Monday before work I can turn off the dryer. Rod can sit there all week not needing to be moved and me not having time enough to be tempted to go check on it.

Re: My Experience With CTS Crystal Coat
Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: July 22, 2020 03:04PM

Why would you have to take the rod drying tent apart, I have the same one and have never taken it apart to transport, it is two pieces that velcro together if both are used. Is that what you are referring to, just a pull of the velcro ? Have you used Flex coat finishes, i just heat my bottles before I use them and dont have bubble issues with that. Glad you found something you really like.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: July 22, 2020 05:09PM

I have limited space. Not building rods all the time. The tent while easy to move takes up a lot of space. Would be nice to easily break it down and set it up. Taken down and in the bag it us only about the size of loaf of bread.

I have tried flex coat. Bubbles were not an issue. Trouble with finishes have been leveling related

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2020 06:20PM

I also believe that the CTS Crystal Coat is the finest wrap epoxy ( clarity, leveling and Uv resistance) if you can deal with the extremely long cure. I built a heated curing box in order to deal with it. Run it up to 110 degrees and cures overnight enough to handle.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 22, 2020 07:09PM

No doubt about it, Crystal Coat is an excellent product; colorless, bubble free, and levels better than anything else I’ve used. If it cured faster I would use it more often. The slow cure rate is it’s only draw back.
Norm

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 23, 2020 01:26AM

Does Herb @ CTS usa on the Left, Stock and Sell it ?? Or are you ordering right from CTS New Zealand.??? Thank you gentlemen!! Tight Lines.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2020 03:24AM

Herb was kind enough to send me a sample. I will be inquiring as to what he offers for sale as I assume he does sell this finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster