I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Tom
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: July 21, 2020 09:12PM

Mr. Kirkman, what type of chuck is on your lathe in the cork turning video that you did on youtube, I have been trying to find one that I can clamp a 1/4 mandrel up with. I just purchased a Wen 3424T and have a live center and a drill chuck on the way, but would like something with 4 self centering jaws that will hold small round items, such as a mandrel or the cork grip itself. Everything I see looks like it is made to hold big round wood for making bowls and such. I have never owned a lathe so dont have much experience. This lathe is 1" x 8 TPI by the way. Thank you

Keith Langford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Tom
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2020 10:30PM

It's a OneWay Talon, and probably more than you'd ever need for turning on mandrels. Collets are good, but can be expensive. Almost any decent self-centering 3 or 4-jaw chuck will suffice. The key is getting the right jaws for the purpose at hand. "Spigot Jaws" are what you'll want to get for any such chuck if you're turning on mandrels. Most chuck manufacturers offer these for their product.

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: July 22, 2020 07:44AM

Thank you Tom

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 22, 2020 10:30AM

Keith,
Another option is to get a nice 3 jaw - metal lathe style chuck. These are the only chucks that I use, and they work very very well.

3-inch -- 3 jaw -- inside and outside jaws: Chuck
[www.amazon.com]

Back plate:
[www.amazon.com]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This style chuck typically comes with a plain back. That means that the back has 3 or more screw holes that are used to screw on the back plate of your choice that matches the particular lathe you are going to use

With any thread on chuck there may be minor variations in the threads. As a result, it may be necessary, if the backplate does not run 100% true -- i.e. with no wobble or run out - it may be necessary to remove the head stock shaft from your lathe. Then, take the shaft and the backplate to a machine shop where a metal working lathe can machine out any tiny runout or wobble that may be present on the match on your head stock shaft to your back plate. You will also want to send along the chuck so that the machine shop can do a final check of the chuck runout or wobble with the chuck mounted to the back plate while the head stock shaft is in the metal working lathe of the shop being machined.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I purchased my lathe and chucks, I also purchased semi machined back plates and simply sent the head stock shaft and the back plates to the machine shop for final machining before they were finally assembled. But in use the three chucks that I have and use have essentially 0 run out when being used due to the precise final machining of the backplate when it was on the head stock shaft.

Best wishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster