I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken fly rod
Posted by: Henry Tomassi (---)
Date: July 21, 2020 08:10PM

I have a a two piece, 8 foot, 4 weight St. Croix Legend Ultra fly rod in which I broke about 8 inches off of the tip of the top section. St. Croix no longer makes this particular model and has replaced it with their Imperial (4 piece) model. Under limited warranty, St. Croix has offered me the choice of either a replacement rod of the same size and weight or a rod of different size and weight. I really like this two piece rod and would prefer to have a new top section made. This way I can have St. Croix send me a rod of different size and weight which I've been wanting to acquire anyway. Unfortunately however I have not had much luck finding someone who can do this so I was wondering if there is anyone here can point me in the right direction? I greatly appreciate anyone's response. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken fly rod
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 21, 2020 09:18PM

Pretty difficult to find a piece of blank with such a small diameter to fit into the tip section to act as an inner sleeve.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 21, 2020 09:53PM

They do not make "new top sections." Two piece rods are not nearly as popular as they once were, as the ferrules used to make multi piece have improved dramatically! You will most likely get some advice on making a repair to utilize the existing top section. My choice would be to take the replacement 4 pc.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2020 07:57AM

Henry, Can you please post a picture of your fly rod so I can see the color of the blank and if you have a caliper can you measure the O.D. of the section of where the top half mates up to. I have a lot of StCroix broken fly rods and might have a tip section for you.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 22, 2020 08:47AM

I recently repaired with the outer sleeve process in the Library an RX8 Rainshadow 8 wt. with a similar break and my son, whose rod it is, says that he thinks it has slowed the response of the rod a little. Which makes sense since there now is an added piece near the tip. He hasn't asked me to make him a replacement, so it must not be major.

It's a possibility if nothing better works out.

Posted by: Henry Tomassi (---)
Date: July 22, 2020 10:13AM

Thank you Dennis Danku. I can't quite seem to figure out how to post photo's here so I am going to send you an email. The color of the blank is dark green. I do not have a caliper so I placed the top of the butt section next to an engineers scale and the O. D. appears to be just a bit shy of 0.2 inches.Please look for the email. Thank you.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: July 22, 2020 02:44PM

I broke a Sage rod years ago in my car trunk. It was n old model no longer in production. They sent me a new section of an updated model, but the rod performed like crap. My adivce would be to just build a new rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster