I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
KLH as running guides?
Date: July 18, 2020 03:20PM

title says it all, I recently ordered my guides for a spin rod (6'8" immortal ML) and not sure why, but I ordered all of my guides in the Fuji KLH. was wondering what were to happen if I use the high frame guides as runners, and if it'd be possible to get away with. I'd hate to have to place a new order just for a couple of guides, so I wanted to ask the experts here for some advice
Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KLH as running guides?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 18, 2020 03:54PM

What sizes do you want to use?

I would order the right runners + the reduction guides you've used up on this rood+ the runners (KB and KT) for another rod. Then you will have two sets of correct guiides. Once you try the KLH setup you'll be making more rods with them.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 18, 2020 03:54PM

It won't be a KR concept. The smallest in that series is the 5.5L which is quite high compared to the KB/KT runners. I certainly would not use them as runners.
Norm

Date: July 18, 2020 04:28PM

The guides I bought for the rod are the KLH Grey FazLite in sizes 16H, 10H, 8M, and 5 in size 6M which we're going to be the running guides. are you saying I should just reorder the size 6 guides in the KT model, and save the KLH 6M for other builds? appreciate the fast response

Date: July 18, 2020 04:28PM

The guides I bought for the rod are the KLH Grey FazLite in sizes 16H, 10H, 8M, and 5 in size 6M which we're going to be the running guides. are you saying I should just reorder the size 6 guides in the KT model, and save the KLH 6M for other builds? appreciate the fast response

Date: July 18, 2020 05:20PM

The problem is that you ordered guides that are not the recommended reduction train and the 6M's are not usually running guides. So everything is less than optimum. I think you should return all the guides and reorder the right stuff as defined by the KR software on the AnglersResource.org web site, click on it on the left margin. I use the KLH guides for all my spin, so I'm pretty familiar with the right way to use those guides. The easiest, most effective way out is to return and reorder.

Look the site over, run the software (the KR software, not the other one) and see what it tells you . It will probably be KLH 16, KLH 8, KL5.5M, then two KB runners, then 3 KT runners. For that spin I strongly recommend smaller runners, like 4.5's, 5's at the largest. 6 is just too big, IMO.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 18, 2020 05:26PM

Your guide choices seem out of whack to me. If starting with a 16H stripper, your next two out should be 8H, and 5.5M and with that Michael got in ahead of me which saves me some typing, so thanks for that Michael and good luck with your build Quinn.

Date: July 18, 2020 06:20PM

Micheal is right on. 16H, 8H, 5.5M to KB/KT runners all the same size. I prefer size 4.5 runners but size 5 are just fine. I usually use one extra runner then recommended by the KR GPS for that length of rod., but thats your choice. Here is a link to KL-H reduction trains size groupings.
[anglersresource.net]
And here is the link to the KR GPS.
[anglersresource.net]
If you have any additional question just let us know.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2020 06:32PM

The additional height won't really hurt you on a spinning rod as the level arm effect will only be enhanced and it'll all be on the bottom of the rod. You'll just have the rod carrying a bit more weight, if you can live with that.

Date: July 18, 2020 07:15PM

It's more than the additional height of the runners. . The reduction train is not right. It's your rod, so do what you want. But if you want to do it consistent with the recommendations of the maker of the guides, start over. Have this rod done right, and you're all set to do more rods right.

Date: July 18, 2020 07:26PM

I absolutely agree with Michael. If you want a KR Concept rod, than build a KR concept rod, not something haphazard just to make do. It will be worth your time to reorder and do it right.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 18, 2020 07:56PM

Quinn,
Be bold.
Go ahead and build the rod with the guides that you have ordered. I expect that you will be well pleased with the fishing ability of your newly built rod.

One thing that you could to would be to wrap the guides nice and tight with a simple one color wrap and just put on a coat of CP and go fishing with it a few times.

With no epoxy over the guides, you will still be able to fish with the rod, but if you find that you like it, just put on a layer of finish.

If you don't like the way the rod works for you, cut off the guides and wrap on different guides.

Sometimes the best creations are those that are made by accident.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2020 03:03AM

All the advice on your guide choices is spot on. There is a reason Fuji offers what they offer and the KR concept is so specific. It works with predictable and repeatable end results.

When it comes to all aspects of building a rod if I am going to take the time to build a rod I will do it as correctly as I can. There are some things that can be played around with. Others things are practically set in stone for optimal performance. Do it right do it once. I probable spend more time researching my builds than I do building them. The only thing I might waiver on if I am getting in a hurry to build something is color. I don't care if I have to order things five times from ten suppliers I am not starting until the best performing components, in my budget, are in my hand.

Lots of reasons for building your own rods. Number one should be to achieve the best performance you can for the intended use of the rod.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: July 19, 2020 06:43AM

Be bold? Really? Being bold in this situation is just plain being lazy. As others have said ..... order the right guides, and build it right.

So you have to wait a little longer to complete the build. If you build it with the guides you have on hand, I can assure you that the amount of time you spend wishing you would have re ordered the correct guides, will be much greater than the amount of time spent waiting for the right guides to get there.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 19, 2020 01:47PM

Another guy saves me typing, thx David.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 19, 2020 03:51PM

Quinn, do as Roger suggested..your not going to see much difference one way or the other..you,ll probably leave just the CP on the the wraps and not cover with epoxy just for the weight difference..lol..if your using mono or flouro line the #6 guides are better anyway..

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2020 04:48PM

First off, fluorocarbon line makes little if any difference when it comes to the size of the running guides. The line is already running straight. I use fluorocarbon as the main line on all of my spinning gear and have rods built using #4.5s, #5s, as runners and can tell no difference in casting performance. I have no doubts that using #6s would show the same indifference.

A 6M is more than twice the height of a KT 6. If you're putting the rod in a rod tube in your boat, or a rod sock, the 6Ms are going to make it extremely difficult. Not to mention the chance of bending a guide will be greatly exacerbated. The taller running guides are going to make carrying even two or more rods together in a group more difficult. Guides do tangle with guides at times while doing that.

Do as the majority of the others have suggested, and order the right guides.

As far as the build it with what you got guys go ........ shame on you

Date: July 19, 2020 05:43PM

good points, David!

Date: July 19, 2020 06:52PM

really appreciate all the responses, i think I'm going to use suggestion of doing a test with the guides I have, and see how it feels, although based on the majority of replies I have already put the correct guides in my shopping cart.
Cheers

Date: July 19, 2020 06:56PM

Quinn, that,s really the only way to learn..good for you!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster