I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do I turn the cork cap that goes on the fighting butt
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: July 17, 2020 06:41PM

So i am gearing up to start turning all my own cork handles and butts. I have been trying to find info on how to do the fighting butt. if the end cap has no hole how do I turn this to get it to size and shape plus hollow out the inside to slip up on the tenyon of the rest of the butt grrip. Thank you

Keith Langford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I turn the cork cap that goes on the fighting butt
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2020 09:26PM

I've not made any of my own cork grips, but when I need to turn an EVA butt cap down to match its OD with the actual butt grip's OD, I just slip the cap on the grip and turn it as an assembly. I don't have a lathe so I use my power wrapper and one of the rod stands. I chuck the mandrel up in the wrapper and let the end of the mandrel stick past the rod stand enough to slip the butt onto. Its worked beautifully thus far.

As far as boring a hole for the tenon to slip into, and I have yet to do it ... but I would think either a lathe, or you could try one of the pilot or reverse pilot bits that Mud Hole offers. I think they're made by Flex Coat. Surely someone that has done it will offer suggestions, but that's what I would try.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2020 09:51PM

There cork rings without hole available. Glue one to the rings you will use that have holes. and grip them in your chuck to turn to shape.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2020 10:38AM

Keith
What kind of a rod?
Herb

Date: July 18, 2020 10:49AM

Herb, its going to be for a spinning rod, it will be 2 3/4 long with cap, 1/2 no hole cap, 3- 1/2 rings and 1- 1/4 burl ring all with 1/4 hole

Date: July 18, 2020 11:03AM

Just watched Flex Coat video, I got it now. Simple enough. Thanks for all the replies.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 18, 2020 12:42PM

Keith,
I used to try various complicated things to do the thing you want to do.

However, I make life simple. I just glue up my cork rings and bore the grip to shape on a mandrel. I make the grip one ring linger than I expect so that the last ring can extend past the end of the rod and be the butt cap.

After getting it all finished, I take a solid cork ring with no hole and use a plug cutter to form a matching plug for the end of the rod.

I put a slight taper on the plug so that it fits nice and tight into the end of the rod. Then, I simply use epoxy to glue the plug into the end of the rod forming the butt cap.

I have a cross vise bolted to the end of my disk sander that is aligned at 90 degrees to the sanding disk. This allows me to clamp the cross vise, turn on the sander and then sand the plug off square to the end of the grip with no visible seams on the end of the rod.

Take care

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 19, 2020 02:59PM

Note if you do make your own [ easy ] do use a rubberized ring on the last ring , will hold up a lot better than regular cork ring

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 20, 2020 10:34AM

Bill,

For many years, and I still do, from time to time, make rod butts from rubber chair leg caps.

I use a horizontal disk sander setup with a chuck on the motor shaft, I chuck in a piece of fiberglass solid stock and then build up a mandrel from masking tape to be the size of the interior of the rubber cap..

Then, with the cap spinning at 3600 rpm, I use coarse, then fine sand paper and files to smooth and shape the cap to match the size of the finished grip. I use a razor knife to cut the cap to size, and after having turned a tenon into the last cork ring on the rear grip and with the rear grip glued in place, glue on the rubber butt cap. Rock solid and holds up to all sorts of use and abuse.

Take care

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 20, 2020 02:57PM

I always use tape to build up the diameter of the mandrel then slip firmly the cork on. They have little cork plugs to to put in the hole at the center of the cork at the butt. A lot of times it's hard to find different types of cork without a hole, so this works fine. To do butts I will extend the mandrel from the chuck slightly longer than the butt piece. I will build up the end of the mandrel with tape and slip the butt piece on with the glued plug and shape. I use calipers to measure thickness and always leave it a little too thick so I can finish sand down to where it will be flush. I use a drill with a flat tip bit to ream the the butt and then a Dremel tool with a cutting bit to ream to a square fit. The tape saves a lot of time. This is how I do it and have been doing it for 20 years but I am sure there are other ways.

Posted by: David DeBruhl (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: July 20, 2020 04:08PM

I glue up about 4 inches of rubberized cork with no holes. I turn about an inch of the end to the outside diameter of the grip I am making. I cut this inch section off and chuck into the jaws. I then chuck a Forstner bit the size I have turned my tenon to into my tail-stock drill chuck. This will get it close. Takes some sanding and practice. You could do the same with the cork instead of rubberized cork if you can find the same cork you are turning without holes.I am sure there is more ways to skin a cat.

Posted by: Brian Gross (50.226.78.---)
Date: July 20, 2020 05:21PM

Ream the inside to fit the butt end of your blank, then glue the end on the butt cork and then turn and sand the whole butt , install when done.

Posted by: Darwin Wong (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: July 21, 2020 10:36AM

I'm in the same boat, creating my first grips. Saw the flexcoat vid as well. But what i'm going to do is just ream the butt plug hole slightly bigger and stick a coin or other personal cap.

Posted by: Chuck Brezen (70.97.209.---)
Date: July 27, 2020 07:51PM

Do what Mr Gross said.... Works like a charm!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster