I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

problem with finish coat
Posted by: Dale Thompson (---)
Date: July 17, 2020 06:51AM

I applied Threadmaster lite that I thinned with isopropyl as a first coat and left the blank on a dryer (no heat, just rotation) over night. Looks like I didn't get the proportions right because some 16 hours later it is still tacky. Not sure what to do - can I do the final coat over this or should I do something else? This is one of four fly rods I am building as gifts, so I want to get this right.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Dale Thompson
Small-time fly rod builder

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: problem with finish coat
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 17, 2020 08:51AM

I would never thin with isopropyl! Use the Finish as it’s designed to be used, not thinned witness anything. You may have to rewrap that rod, and chalk it up to a lesson learned.
Norm

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: July 17, 2020 10:54AM

Mix and apply another batch according to directions. You could just recoat one guide as a test if you have doubts.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 17, 2020 11:01AM

Dale,
Never, ever, ever, ever thin any epoxy finish with alcohol.

Alcohol is NOT a solvent for epoxy.

Since the finish is tacky, you can try removing the finish with alcohol and it may or may not be successful. You may need to pull off all of your windings and get back to the bare blank and start over.

Do NOT try to put something over this coat of finish because it will never ever be right.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 17, 2020 11:14AM

I don't think he has much to lose with trying something on one guide.

I am continually surprised that builders think they can formulate their own epoxy mix that will work better than that that companies have been working to perfect for many years and at great cost. If one is going to pursue this activity it would be wise to try it on a scrap blank.. Then conduct a few years of durability testing.

Posted by: Dale Thompson (---)
Date: July 17, 2020 11:21AM

ouch! OK I wont thin with alcohol ever again. Altho, I have done it before. In fact, isn't that how one does transparent silk windings in order to get good, even penettration?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 17, 2020 11:29AM

It is sometimes done with denatured alcohol on silk to help create a more transparent wrap. But even that's isn't advised by epoxy formulators.

If you must thin your epoxy for reason, you want to use a more volatile solvent such as acetone.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 17, 2020 11:57AM

I was under the impression that just about all commercial rod makers thinned their guide wrap epoxy for better epoxy penetration of the wrap since it is too time consuming to use a wrap sealer like CP..this way it,s a one step one time process..

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2020 12:07PM

I've never thinned epoxy, don't need to, but that has been covered very well by the posts above mine.

If your worried about penetration of the wraps, just warm your Threadmaster Lite up a bit, it will lower the viscosity a bit, but it will shorten the working time, apply a very "thin" coat, just saturate the wraps. After curing, apply a second coat.

Silk, used for "invisible" wraps, couple of things here. First, depending on the base color of your blank, colored blanks or natural graphite, I use "Natural" Silk. If I have a "Clear" Fiberglass blank, this would be where the Prepeg is not colored, has that raw off white look to it, like a McFarland, Kabuto, CTS natural, ect. Those blanks I have used "White" silk on.

Its always good to buy several different brands of Silk and do some test wraps with finish, you'll see a difference and pick the one that suits your fancy.

Date: July 17, 2020 01:25PM

Unless you're taking a whale of a long, long time to coat your guide wraps and allowing the epoxy to get very thick, almost any epoxy is going to easily soak down and into the threads without being thinned.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: July 17, 2020 02:08PM

If you wrap with silk, and if the silk is natural as in not dyed, and if you want transparent / ghost wraps, then and only then mix 3 cc of ThreadMaster Lite resin with 3 cc of ThreadMaster Lite hardener for 3 minutes after which add 3 cc of acetone and mix another 2 minutes. The resulting mix will have the viscosity of skim milk, will require an extended time to cure, and will require 2 applications of ThreadMasterLite without acetone to protect the wrap.

Otherwise leave all would be epoxy solvents, including acetone, on the bench and out of the epoxy mix unless of course you are a chemist with knowledge of ThreadMaster's formulation.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: July 17, 2020 03:15PM

from the Flexcoat site - " For the rod builder who likes an extra thin coating on rod wraps, there are three ways to get a thin finish. Use a stiff brush which will spread the Flex Coat evenly and thinly over the wrap. Heating will also thin the finish. Thinning with a solvent such as acetone or epoxy thinner also works. Between 1 and 4 drops of solvent per 6cc mix of epoxy is recommended."

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 17, 2020 09:18PM

Nothing like a little reverse research.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2020 09:54PM

I do add a few drops of Acetone to my epoxy when doing "clear" silk raps, first coat only! It will take longer to cure, but assures reaching clearity.

Posted by: sam fox (108.59.99.---)
Date: July 18, 2020 09:16AM

If you sit down and read the company directions and follow those directions to the letter and do not add or subtract anything then you should have no problems, providing your application techniques are perfected by getting experience over time.

Posted by: sam fox (108.59.99.---)
Date: July 18, 2020 09:16AM

If you sit down and read the company directions and follow those directions to the letter and do not add or subtract anything then you should have no problems, providing your application techniques are perfected by getting experience over time.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2020 10:51AM

Why even thin a lite formula anyway ? There’s no need to.

Date: July 18, 2020 12:28PM

There is a lot of "information" on youtube that isn't very good. But it's free (which is exactly what some or even a lot of it is worth) and many people will assume that if it's in a video, it must be the thing to do. No idea if that was true in this case, but you would not believe the phone calls I get from people asking about something they've done that resulted in disastrous results. When I ask them why on earth they would have done such a thing they almost always say, "I saw it on Youtube."

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 18, 2020 12:59PM

Dale,
If you try to clean sticky epoxy off a surface with alcohol, you will find that it sort of works.

But, if you try to clean sticky epoxy off a surface with Xylene, you will find that the epoxy is quickly and easily cleaned off the surface.

If you look at the instructions on the side of a xylene container you will find that one of the primary uses for Xylene is to use as a diluent or thinner, because it is one of the chemicals that are used in the manufacture of the epoxy. Thus a perfect mix.

I still do not recommend thinning an epoxy finish with Xylene or Acetone, because the Xylene or Acetone changes the chemical final result of the epoxy and you will end up with a softer finish.

So, follow the manufacturers directions and do not add anything to the epoxy glue or finish and you will be good to go.

If you do need to have the finish a bit thinner, use a bit of GENTLE heat. But, be aware that for every degree that the epoxy is elevated, the working time will be reduced by a certain amount depending on the type of epoxy that is being used.

But, if you are working in a room that is less than 70 degrees, a bit of heat after applying finish will accelerate the cure of the epoxy. Notie: A bit of heat. Do not overdo it if you do decide to add heat for curing purposes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster