I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Spiral Wrap Casting Rod
Posted by: Keith Langford (---)
Date: July 15, 2020 08:34PM

The rod I just built is working great and i really like it so far with the limited use, when I built this I used a KT 10 and after that 3 KB 5 for the 60, 120 180 positions and KT 5 for the rest of the guides. My question is would it perform better if I used a KT 5.5 for the 60 degree position and then 2 KB for the 120 and 180 and rest KT. The reason I went with all the runners after the stripper was I read it in RodMaker in the simple spiral article. Then I got to thinking maybe that was just for the simple spiral, so I thought I would ask here. What are your thoughts and opinions. Thank you.

Keith Langford

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2020 07:41AM by Keith Langford.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrap Casting Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2020 08:38PM

The line is only going to hit the guide ring at a single point so the rest of the ring diameter is really of no consequence. Take another rod blank and mock it up both ways, cast it and see what you think.

Do keep in mind that the Simple Spiral has no transition guides, but even then, I think you're going to find that what you suggest isn't going to make a hill of beans difference.

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: July 16, 2020 07:27AM

Thank you Tom, really like your magazine and videos by the way.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 16, 2020 07:33AM

Does the geometry of a spiral guide train cause an increase in friction between guides and line? Do tournament distance casters use spiral guide trains?

Date: July 16, 2020 09:38AM

If you cast a spiral and a conventional rod, you will be hard pressed to find any casting difference. There's simply not much friction between the line and the guides on a cast.

Tournament casters are not worried about torque or twist upon retrieve so the spiral wrap offers them no benefit. Claims that a spiral wrap will outcast a convention rod are not true. The benefits to the spiral wrap are almost entirely from the standpoint of retrieve and fish fighting.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 16, 2020 11:45AM

They look interesting. Are spiral guides catching on with big fish/salt water anglers?

Date: July 16, 2020 02:18PM

Yes, probably since 20 years ago. The bigger the fish the greater the benefit.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 16, 2020 02:58PM

Acid Wrap is the term I hear on the West Coast for the spiral wrapped saltwater rods, been around a long time like Tom said.

Date: July 16, 2020 05:27PM

The "wrap" was patented around 1909 by a gentleman named John Scanlan. In the late 70's or early 80's it was popularized again by a rod builder with the last name of "Roberts" and for many years was known simply as a "Roberts Wrap." Rich Forhan made it part of his Revolver Rod design in the 90's. There have been many variations of the concept over this past century.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 16, 2020 05:51PM

and the last to come out was the Kirkman Wrap or Simple Spiral which he introduced in Rod Maker magazine some dozen or more years ago..the Simple Spiral took all the mystery out of making the Wrap..

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2020 12:58AM

Keith Langford Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The rod I just built is working great and i really
> like it so far with the limited use, when I built
> this I used a KT 10 and after that 3 KB 5 for the
> 60, 120 180 positions and KT 5 for the rest of the
> guides. My question is would it perform better if
> I used a KT 5.5 for the 60 degree position and
> then 2 KB for the 120 and 180 and rest KT. The
> reason I went with all the runners after the
> stripper was I read it in RodMaker in the simple
> spiral article. Then I got to thinking maybe that
> was just for the simple spiral, so I thought I
> would ask here. What are your thoughts and
> opinions. Thank you.

The bumper guides are just to keep the line off the blank so they do not need to be that tall. For me I position them to keep the line straight as possible going from the top of blank to the bottom. They cast equal to guides on top and I think they are better for micro guides. With a micro guide running train and smaller stripper guides your are getting rapid reduction and control of the line wave sooner so in general rods built like this will cast farther whether spiral or conventional. I am not a competative caster but I do not think they use rods that are made to be fished.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: July 17, 2020 07:42AM

Too large a line-to-leader connection will hang up on too small a guide. What's the largest size leader to line connection a micro guide will accommodate?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 17, 2020 09:56AM

Hello Phil Ew.

It depends on the size of your guide, your line, and how well you tie a knot.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: July 17, 2020 11:03AM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith Langford Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The rod I just built is working great and i
> really
> > like it so far with the limited use, when I
> built
> > this I used a KT 10 and after that 3 KB 5 for
> the
> > 60, 120 180 positions and KT 5 for the rest of
> the
> > guides. My question is would it perform better
> if
> > I used a KT 5.5 for the 60 degree position and
> > then 2 KB for the 120 and 180 and rest KT. The
> > reason I went with all the runners after the
> > stripper was I read it in RodMaker in the
> simple
> > spiral article. Then I got to thinking maybe
> that
> > was just for the simple spiral, so I thought I
> > would ask here. What are your thoughts and
> > opinions. Thank you.
>
> The bumper guides are just to keep the line off
> the blank so they do not need to be that tall. For
> me I position them to keep the line straight as
> possible going from the top of blank to the
> bottom. They cast equal to guides on top and I
> think they are better for micro guides. With a
> micro guide running train and smaller stripper
> guides your are getting rapid reduction and
> control of the line wave sooner so in general rods
> built like this will cast farther whether spiral
> or conventional. I am not a competative caster but
> I do not think they use rods that are made to be
> fished.

There were no bumper guides on the rod that Keith outlined. Just regular transition guides. And no rod would ever need more than one bumper guide.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 17, 2020 11:20AM

I was hoping someone had established this fact already, but it's probably better to discover it for myself. That way I won't have to run an assortment of knots tied on a an assortment of lines and leaders to find what I need to know, just one number: the diameter of the knot. Like many rod builders my kit includes a micrometer.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 17, 2020 12:25PM

Wasn't it Bill Colby that introduced the Simple Spiral to us?

Date: July 17, 2020 01:24PM

He wrote an article about it. He did not come up with the concept. The term "Bumper Guide" was his but I never liked it - too much confusion over just what that is. In the recent updated article I renamed it a "rub prevention guide." I think that better outlines what it is and what it does.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 18, 2020 10:05AM

I was thinking to call it a By-Pass guide but then thought that sounded too much like a type of surgery..Rub-preventio-guide it is. my nephew got a new cat after the last ate a toad...i have a bad habit of renaming things..they named it Squigly..it,s an all black cat with emerald colored eyes..anyway i called him Shady(what else?)..i mean did you ever see a cat respond to a name, but i think it bothered some people that i called him Shady..Shady didn,t care..lol.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 20, 2020 03:22PM

OK, replace bumper guide with rub prevention guide, of course a while back you were calling it a bumper guide when others were calling it a transition guide. Whatever we call it, we seem to know what it is. I do not like a simple spiral on a rod longer than 6'6". My thought is that if I can get the 1st 180 degree guide behind the major arc of the rod then the rod will work better for fighting fish and if I can keep the line straighter and off the blank (2 bumper guides), it will cast farther. So far it has worked out and the performance of my rods is where I and my customers like it. I personally use mostly a (style) KT 4mm rings for running trains and have not had any problems with passing a Uni Knot with a 15 lbs fluorocarbon leader to 20# braid. To help, I do however, use a 4.5mm tip top with the 4mm running train and 5mm tip top with a 4.5mm running train. Hey, we are always learning and it is good for everybody, including myself, to change if it will work better.

Date: July 20, 2020 07:13PM

A bumper guide is not and never has been a "transition" guide. It does not transition the line anywhere. Two entirely different purposes. Recently someone mentioned that he had used a 0-60-120-180 set up and called the transition guides, bumper guides. That is an impossibility on such a set-up. This was my point.

Bumper guide, or better put, Rub Prevention Guide, is not a transition guide and does not serve the same purpose. Two entirely different animals.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster