I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone Make Carbon Fiber for VSS???
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2020 05:13AM

Wheels are turning for another UL trout rod. Thinking Phenix elixer 6 foot 1-6 pound fast action. I want a decent size grip with minimal weight. Durability is a big plus. Off the beaten path is were you start the walk to some of spots. I am also an unashamed worm fisherman. Last rod I built is about ten trips old. Cork looks ten years old from the mud, worms and blood, most of it mine.

I am going to go split grip.My thought is Fuji VSS with a SK2 hidden locking nut foregrip. Be a little heavier than some options but I like the profile. Wonder if anyone makes a carbon fiber grip for this setup?

Other option is the American Tackle Aero seat. I can get a CFX carbon fiber rear grip for it. But I cannot find a hidden thread style front hood and a corresponding carbon fiber fore grip. Is their something else in their line that will work with the aero seat? They show the new CCT aero seat with the ULH hood which is similiar to the SK2/ VSS combo. I don't care much for the looks of CCT seats though prefer the flat graphite color.

Any ideas are appreciated. Or if there is another option I am missing. Basically want a light, larger profile hidden thread reel seat/ grip around eight to ten inches total in carbon fiber.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone Make Carbon Fiber for VSS???
Posted by: benjie bates (---)
Date: July 14, 2020 07:19AM

NFC just announced soMe

[northforkcomposites.com]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 14, 2020 12:54PM

The write up vs order form for these grips is confusing. The VSS size they fit is not stated when ordering. Also appears that a matching sleeve for the hidden thread hood is not available. I guess one could use the Fuji Perfect fit carbon fiber hood sleeve, or possibly the American Tackle CF hood sleeve. I’ve been waiting for a CF grip setup for the VSS17 or IPS16 seats, so I will definitely order some once the size issue is clarified.
Norm
PS - I also just noted the pictures shown for the VSS grips include both a 1K and 3K fiber, but no choice for either is given when ordering. Hopefully they will clarify the ordering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2020 12:59PM by Norman Miller.

Date: July 14, 2020 02:04PM

The NFC is interesting. Just looked and the the 1 k and 3 k are now two different listings.I am also confused about fitment though. They say will fit size 16 and 17 and several manufacturers.How can the grip fit two sizes and all the different manufacturers?? NFC is about impossible to contact so good luck getting any info.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 14, 2020 03:10PM

If everyone is using the same pattern, wouldn't they all fit? Seems simple enough to me, don't make things any harder than they have to be. Casting reel seats from Fuji, 16 to 20 mm, all fit the same rear grip, except the SK2 . All the other producers to the left all make reel seats on similar patterns. Makes more sense to me as a manufacturer, or customer to do that doesn't it? The rod building market is so small compared to the production market, few manufacturers look only to us to make a living and grow.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 14, 2020 04:37PM

The VSS spinning reel seat is not a pipe type reel seat, it requires a specifically machined and contoured grip to fit it. The VSS comes in three sizes 16/15, 16, and 17mm, each require a different grip to fit the contour of the seat. These are very comfortable seats, and with the appropriate rear grip and fore grip sleeve for a hidden thread hood the VSS 17 based handle has an OD of about 27mm at the point where the reel is held. So it very much like a Tennessee handle, very ergonomic. What’s confusing is PacBay, SeaGuide, American Tackle and others do not make anything similar to a VSS. Fuji also makes the IPS seat which is very similar to the VSS but has a different contour. It only comes in a size16, but it has fatter profile than the VSS 16, and thus gives an OD of about 27 mm, similar to the VSS17, when using the appropriate rear grip and fore grip sleeve, again very ergonomic. So the write up at NFC does not make any sense. Hopefully, they will clarify the write up and order choices.
The only difference between the 1K and 3K grip is just the weave pattern of the CF cloth that is used. The 1K has a checker board appearance, and the 3K has a spiraled checker board appearance.
Norm

Date: July 14, 2020 04:58PM

It appears that NFC did change the VSS CF handle link to a certain degree. The VSS grip is now shown to come in two different sizes ( 3.75 and 3.0) with two different weave patterns (1K and 3K). I assume the 3.75 is for the VSS17, and the 3.0 for the 16 or 16/15, but not sure. Still some confusion, but getting there.
I do like the VSS17 seat more than the 16. Maybe they will make a grip for the IPS seat a little later.
Norm
PS -
Oh my god, looked at the website again and the 3.75 size is for the IPS seat, I misread. I will certainly order some I really do like the IPS seat.
The VSS3.0 grip I have no idea which seat it fits.
Here is the link to all of the NFC arbor fiber grips..
[northforkcomposites.com]
The write up is a general write up pertaining to fitting all 16 and 17 casting seats from the various companies is for the casting grips, not for the new IPS or VSS spinning grips.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2020 05:22PM by Norman Miller.

Date: July 15, 2020 04:59AM

Thanks got a heads up on the NFC grip few a sources via email in addition to the lead here.

Norman: Thanks for all the info and jogging my memory about the IPS seats. I actually have a couple sitting around. My take, well guess,on the models is they are both 16s just based on popularity. The description of the VSS 3.0 says the rear grip extends three inches from rear of seat. The IPS 3.75 has the same description. I was sent a pic showing the two grips side by side. The IPS is noticeably longer. My assumption is the grip description should be extends 3.75" from rear of reelseat for the IPS. Thinking they did a lot of cut and paste and not much editing when it came to putting these grips and their descriptions online. I got a IPS ordered so we will see what they are actually are. Hope won't take too long to get the grip.

Still looking for a fore grip though. Want a actually grip not just a hood cover. Anyone know if all the Fuji hidden thread style hoods are the same diameter for the tube portion? I found carbon fiber for the PTS/TVS seat fore grip. Looks like all the hidden thread hoods are the same other than length but don't have examples in hand to check. I have a HPS hood on hand which is too long for the PTS/TVS grip. Would be no trouble to cut it down though.

Other option is trying to bore out a fore grip to accept the HPS hood. Don't know how much trouble cutting through the carbon fiber would be though.

Date: July 15, 2020 12:53PM

The Fuji HPS, KDPS, and KSKSS hidden thread hoods will all fit the the IPS reel seat. The OD of hood barrels are all very close, and any fore grip sleeve that fits one will fit all. The CFX hidden thread fore grip for the TVS hood can be made to fit all of the hoods, but the CF used for the CFX sleeve does not match the NFC CF grips. In addition, the HPS and KDPS hoods will require cutting back on the hood, and all will require cutting back on the threads of the reel seat itself. All of these hidden thread hoods can be fitted with the Fuji decorative Perfect Fit CF hidden thread sleeve. [www.mudhole.com] The CF used is close to the K1 cf used on the NFC grips, but has a color associated with it. In addition, you will need to finish it off with the Fuji Perfect Fit base ring (BR)and cap ring (CR). Again the hoods and reel seat need to be trimmed accordingly. So CF fore grip options for these hoods are limited, but you could use the Fuji hard Eva hood sleeve BGKS16E. Again cutting the hoods and reel seat is required. There is also a hard Eva hood sleeve for both the KDPS and HPS that would require no trimming, FGK25E or FGH25E, respectively. The trim on the NFC CF grips is a hard Eva, so Eva sleeves might be a viable alternative. A final option would be not use a fore grip at all. Hope this helps
Norm
PS - Another option might be the American Tackle CF fore grip sleeve. [www.mudhole.com] In fact it looks very similar to that used on the cut down KDPS hood in the NFC IPS grip picture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2020 01:06PM by Norman Miller.

Date: July 15, 2020 01:56PM

Thanks now I know what will fit and how. For aesthetics I am thinking of using the NFC grip as the mid grip, then using a CFX carbon fiber fore grip and butt grip. So CFX, NFC, CFX. Would not match but would look "right". Definitely want a foregrip.Not a fan of EVA, but it is my if nothing else works option. Will have plenty of pieces on hand to play with. Sure I will find something I like.

Date: July 15, 2020 08:23PM

I ordered the IPS CF grips this morning and they shipped this afternoon, pretty good service. I will also order the American Tackle CF fore grip sleeves, both K1 and K3, to try.
Thanks Benjie.
Norm

Date: July 16, 2020 04:11AM

Got shipping notification for mine as well. Shocked based on my past experiences with NFC.

Date: July 22, 2020 04:53AM

Got mine today. Very nice amazingly light. Fit could be a little better to the reel seat. Will see what I can do when I glue things up. The arbor for teh rear grip is two pieces the rear arbor will need to be cut down a bit for the eve trim band to fit. For the butt no arbor was included and it is nothing but the carbon fiber shell. Don't know how I am going to install that yet.

Overall I got close to what I wanted. Biggest thing was lightweight and this grip gives that for sure. Still looking for a fore grip to match this. But looking like I will be going with EVA.

Date: July 22, 2020 02:32PM

Micheal I also received my grips. Just what I wanted. To get a good fit to the reel seat need to trim the rear arbor back about 3/8”. This will give a perfect fit to the reel seat and allow space for tenon on the Eva winding check. I will glue size 16 polyurethane foam arbors into the reel seat and when cured ream to fit the blank. I will also ream the arbor in the CF grip to fit the blank where I want it. This allows for you to glue the seat to the grip and glue the entire unit to the blank, or glue each piece to blank separately. For the fighting butt the long tenon on the Eva butt cap and the tenon on the Eva winding check serve as the arbor. If you want a longer arbor for the fighting butt you can turn a small piece of polyurethane or Eva to fit. I’m still waiting on the American Tackle CF fore grip sleeves to arrive to see if they will work on a hidden thread hood..
Norm

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: July 22, 2020 05:14PM

Did your butt cap tenon come drilled? Mine did not. Will have to work on that once I have the blank to measure.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2020 07:24PM

Yes, they drilled out so the butt of the blanks can be fitted into it. Will need build up the last inch of the blank butt to fit the hole in the tenon. I’m surprised yours did not have a hole in it. I bought 6 of the IPS grip sets and 6 of the casting grip sets, and all butt caps had a hole for the blank. Both the Spin and Casting grip sets used the same fighting butt. Got both the G1 and G3 versions, and I like both.
Norm

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2020 09:31PM

Got mine for the VSS. It is beautiful. Love it. One issue, I don't really get what they mean by works for vss 16 and 17. Definitely only works with vss 16. Hope they make it for vss 17.

Posted by: Jason Grochowski (199.36.255.---)
Date: February 14, 2023 10:49AM

Hello, I'm frantically looking for the VSS17 CF reel seats (NFCG608C01) from NFC. Does anyone have 2 of these lying around that I could purchase/trade for? I have all the other components but NFC won't get these till mid March and I want the 2 rods completed by then for Ling and Rockfish.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 14, 2023 04:50PM

We should take up a collection and send Norman "consultant fees." Thanks, Norman!

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2023 06:23PM

Jason, e-mail me.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster