I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fixing Epoxy over Decal
Posted by: Mike Juliana (165.225.50.---)
Date: July 13, 2020 11:36PM

Guide wraps are turning out great but I'm still working on my technique for epoxy over decals. Made all of the rookie mistakes on one: too much epoxy, playing it with too much, contamination causing a fish eye. You name it, I probably did it wrong on this one. I've been carefully sanding it down with fine gator sponge which I've found to be pretty good for the task. I'm getting to fairly level and will soon be ready to apply another coat of epoxy.

I've been sanding and wiping the blank off with a wet paper towel in between sanding.
I've been running my fingers over the epoxy to check smoothness

When I'm done sanding, how should I prep/clean the surface given the above?

1. Should I clean with isopropyl alcohol (91%) and then with something like windex?
2. Should apply CP over the epoxy?

Should I do both? Or just CP?

Something else?

Thanks,
Mike J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fixing Epoxy over Decal
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 14, 2020 11:23AM

Hello Mike.

Go on to the Library, 9th from the bottom "Surface Preparation".

Have a good one.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 14, 2020 11:26AM

Once you start building a rod, after an initial clean up of the blank, put the DNA away and don't use it.

Especially when it comes to finish work, DNA is just something else to muck up the works.

After doing any sanding, just use a tack rag, or a piece of masking tape to remove the residue from the previous work.

Best wishes

Date: July 14, 2020 11:48AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once you start building a rod, after an initial
> clean up of the blank, put the DNA away and don't
> use it.
>
> Especially when it comes to finish work, DNA is
> just something else to muck up the works.
>
> After doing any sanding, just use a tack rag, or a
> piece of masking tape to remove the residue from
> the previous work.
>
> Best wishes

I believe I've seen you post in the past about using windex to remove any contaminants from the surface. Is that advisable in this case to eliminate any potential problems with fish eyes on the new coat?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 14, 2020 12:10PM

You need to do nothing after sanding other than cleaning DRY with tack cloth, tape, as Roger said. Anything else introduces the risk of contamination or some other screw up.

Keep in mind that if you have been careful in the sanding process there are no contaminants.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 14, 2020 12:16PM

I agree with roger just wipe down with a dry lintless wipe of some sort to remove any dust. At the very most you can use a water damp cloth to remove any dust, just make sure the blank is dry before applying finish. Apply a very thin coat of finish over the cleaned area, and stroke the finish out horizontally to remove any hills and valleys that may occur when spiraling the finish onto the rod. This helps with leveling. When finished, stop the rotation for a couple of minutes and remove any sags that may occur, and then rotate the rod slowly until the finish is cure.
Norm

Date: July 14, 2020 12:31PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You need to do nothing after sanding other than
> cleaning DRY with tack cloth, tape, as Roger said.
> Anything else introduces the risk of
> contamination or some other screw up.
>
> Keep in mind that if you have been careful in the
> sanding process there are no contaminants.

And if one wasn't careful in the sanding process? Oil from fingers running over the epoxy to check for smoothness? The original fish eyes?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster