I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Random thoughts of a contented old rod crafter
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: July 13, 2020 08:11PM

Any comment on rod performance always triggers “CONTROVERSY” therefore any statements I make in this post are random thoughts of contented old rod crafter and I am not trying to convert anyone.

Action, power, damping, loading, resonance, etc. are all terms that I am aware of AND APPRECIATE but when I dive into it, it tends to make my head explode. I believe in simplicity and have developed my own technique called the “feels good” process (CONTROVERSY).

So before I start, let me qualify what “feels good” means (CONTROVERSY) and I hope this strikes home and puts a little grin on your face. Before I got into rod building I went to the store to buy a fishing rod, I hefted, eyeballed, flexed, twitched, flicked, bent, twisted and whipped every rod on the rack until I found the one that “feels good” and I still walked away with the nagging feeling that something is missing and “it could be better”, this frustration was the reason I decided to make my own fishing rods and probably why some folks order custom rods.

Still awake?

One can have all the scientific data of a blank and one can be very selective with the components and craft it with the greatest care and precision to achieve the ultimate performing rod but it all goes out the window if it does not “feel good” when one uses it. “Feels Good” can be many things, good balance, sensitivity, ability to fish it all day without strain or any other factor that makes the rod a pleasure to fish with.
The reality is that fishing conditions are rarely consistent and fishermen are always subconsciously working the rod to compensate for these conditions, if the user and the rod respond favorably to these changing conditions the rod is a winner.

It is not uncommon for me to build 2 or 3 three rods to get the one that “feels good”.

The reality is, the only constant in a rod blank is the material it is made from and the mechanical properties associated that material, all the other variables change during the build and are not set or determined until after the rod is completed.

You give it your best effort and hope for the best. "CONTROVERSY"

I close this post by saying any statements I made in this post are random thoughts of contented old rod crafter and I am not trying to convert anyone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Random thoughts of a contented old rod crafter
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 13, 2020 09:12PM

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 13, 2020 09:37PM

John DeMartini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Before I got into rod building I went to the store
> to buy a fishing rod, I hefted, eyeballed, flexed,
> twitched, flicked, bent, twisted and whipped every
> rod on the rack until I found the one that
> “feels good” and I still walked away with the
> nagging feeling that something is missing and
> “it could be better”, this frustration was the
> reason I decided to make my own fishing rods and
> probably why some folks order custom rods.

John, I grew up fishing saltwater. My Dad built rods back in the 50's-60's. I think I became accustomed to a "saltwater rod" having to be built certain ways. Double foot guides, full under wraps, aluminum (or worse, brass) reel seats. The emphasis was always on durability. Local (saltwater fishing) stores only offered rods like that. You just weren't going to see certain types of rods in Miami. Times have finally changed for the "inshore" rods but a lot of the offshore/boat rods are still the same. I have always found it funny that there are so many types of rods to catch a large mouth bass with and so few for the great diversity of what swims in the salt.

It took a long time to discover a totally different animal and back then it pretty much required you to build your own. Sure wish I had known what a hotshot rod was a lot sooner in life.

I'm always willing to listen to others and I do solicit advice and opinions. Still, when you find a rod (or a gun) that works for you, and lets you perform to your best, you know it. Perhaps it is a little like a wife. You might think you have a "type" but in the end all that matters is you know she is right for you.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 13, 2020 09:52PM

Russ, do you have any hard, cold, pie chart, bar graph, substantiated facts and figures to back that up? Or are you just sayin"? lol. I hear you guys.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 13, 2020 09:53PM

John, a wonderful post !

What ends up feeling right for us or the customer is the challenge we face in building rods. You can obtain all the pertinent data available on a blank and do very diligent research with the client, then apply the knowledge you have gained through your building experience, and then you hope you end up with a "it feels good" rod.

We have a member on this site that is always looking for measurable data, belittles anything unmeasurable, "feels good" surely would be rejected, but for many of us it is aa objective!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 14, 2020 11:18AM

Hello John.

John Wrote "So before I start, let me qualify what “feels good” means (CONTROVERSY) and I hope this strikes home and puts a little grin on your face".

I wrote "Yes it did!"

Tight Wraps &Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 14, 2020 12:25PM

I agree, ‘Feel good’ is a very important attribute for any rod. From another old, smiling and contented rod builder.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 14, 2020 02:39PM

I built my first rod for myself, a two-piece fiberglass spin rod, in 1958. I built it to save money and I taught myself how to wrap guides, apply finish and install reel seats - using stick shellac. It served me well for decades. It had a medium action and it was smooth, powerful, light, responsive, and soulfull: in short, exactly the same as today's rods.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 14, 2020 03:01PM

the modulus of the rod is different Phil, not really better just different today..

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 14, 2020 04:40PM

Depending on your perspective as to which feels better in your hands.
Norm

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: July 14, 2020 04:49PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I built my first rod for myself, a two-piece
> fiberglass spin rod, in 1958. I built it to save
> money and I taught myself how to wrap guides,
> apply finish and install reel seats - using stick
> shellac. It served me well for decades. It had a
> medium action and it was smooth, powerful, light,
> responsive, and soulfull: in short, exactly the
> same as today's rods.

LOL So in reality you didn't need all those quantifying numbers you're always asking for to build a rod that delighted you.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 14, 2020 05:46PM

Great post, John.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: July 15, 2020 10:16AM

Ultimatley, it is all about what the angler/caster prefers in a rod for the manner in which they fish and the place where they fish. Even cosmetics come into play. Most people know what they like, but not until they cast the rod.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 15, 2020 03:18PM

Its all about feel and quality. What I used to think was a great feeling rod 20-30 years ago does not feel as good to me as the ones I make now. The technology is going to change but the feeling is still going to be important even if that changes. Great post.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: July 16, 2020 01:29PM

Per Lance's comments, I can say that my first fly rod was a 7.5 ft. Fenwick glass rod of 1979. I thought it was a gem. Made a Sage 8.5 ft for 5 wt in 1983 when Sage was still kind of new. A first felt like a board. then I grew to love it. My current Eternity2 rod makes the Sage feel like an ineffective noddle unalble to toss much line at all. The same type of comments could be made about skis, golf clubs, etc. yes, feel changes, as does performance.

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 22, 2020 06:12PM

Great post john, love to hear more about the good old days

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster