I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tips for Lubricating EVA Handles
Posted by: Denham Bruce (---)
Date: July 13, 2020 02:40PM

So as the title suggests I'm having some trouble sliding EVA grips down the rod blank. Currently I've been using a whole lot of epoxy but that makes a big mess and requires a bit of clean up.

I'd have to think theres something else I could use to get the handle down the blank and figured someone on this forum knows what that might be! If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks, Denham

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tips for Lubricating EVA Handles
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2020 02:53PM

It's not so much what you use, but where you put it. If your grip is just pushing a bunch of epoxy down the blank, you're not getting much, if any, epoxy between the grip and the blank. See the FAQs page for the proper method for installing EVA. Do it as instructed and you can just about push the grip anywhere you want it with just two fingers.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2020 02:58PM

I usually ream them until they are a snug fit within a couple inches of their final position. It's not much more cleanup than with cork or a foam core grip.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 13, 2020 04:11PM

The explanation on the "FAQ's" page is a good one .
Another thought is that reaming will make it easier if there is a large difference in size.
But, using alcohol liberally as well as some epoxy will let it slide easier, and then dissipate.
That leaves just the epoxy to set up and hold the grip tight.
We usually lubricate with epoxy just above where the grip wants to "grab", and a small "ribbon" all the way down to where it is to rest.
Then, holding one hand as a sort of "stopper", pore the alcohol down from the upper open end, and quickly slide the grip down.
I have a 2x4 "push board" with a few different size drilled thru it
And then a small bit of strong board mounted to the wall at a comfortable height as a "push spot".
That allows me to use both hands on the board to push with-out "squeezing" the grip as it moves down.
Or, simple have a place on the floor that you can use body weight on the board to leverage the grip down.
Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: July 13, 2020 04:21PM

Simplest method is the Jim Trelikes rubber cement technique. Thousands of rods being used under all conditions without failure. Ream, boil heat, stretch, spray, dip.....why? Well, if that's how you want to do it, do it. At least look at his method and make your eva installations easy as pie. And give Jim a salute if you end up using it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2020 04:52PM

Same with the FAQs method - no heating, no stretching, no reaming (unless there is a huge disparity in size). Just apply epoxy, and slide into position with two fingers.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 13, 2020 09:20PM

Those west coast boys know some tricks.

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---)
Date: July 14, 2020 11:04PM

Thanks for all the replies from everyone. I think proper lubrication was my main issue at first.

I also watched a video using the Jim Trelikes method of rubber cement which looked like it required basically no cleanup. Think that'll be what I try next! Thanks again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster