I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Kl-H Stripper Question
Posted by: Eric Roach (---.sub-174-251-65.myvzw.com)
Date: July 11, 2020 01:00PM

Does anyone feel it is prudent to place a KL-H #25 stripper closer than 23” to the mid-spindle travel of a Van Staal 150, running 10# to 20# braid?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Kl-H Stripper Question
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 11, 2020 05:45PM

I'm not sure, think it would be better at about 20, HOWEVER, you do not need a 25 if using 10-15 braid. I use the 20-10-5.5M progression according to the software for KW guides on the AnglersResouces.net web site and never go wrong. Some would argue that a 16 would do it, but I like to use the 20 in case I want to go up in reel size or line pound test.

Date: July 11, 2020 05:47PM

20 is good for 20 pound braid, sorry bout that.

Posted by: Eric Roach (---.sub-174-251-65.myvzw.com)
Date: July 11, 2020 08:59PM

Thanks for replying. I should have mentioned that this is a 10’ surf rod (Lamiglas GSB 1201L), and I’d be throwing up to 3 oz. I imagine the line speed is going to be rather fast...I’m wondering if a #20 stripper can choke that speed within 2’ of the spindle.

I’m going to have to test-cast a few variations and check for the line loops being thrown beyond the stripper ring.

Date: July 12, 2020 06:42AM

I'm no expert on rods like this, I'm sure some experts will chime in. But the Fuji software on their web site listed on the left say a 20 works. Positioned at 21.5.
I assumed a size 5000 reel placed 20 inches from the butt. Try running the software yourself with the correct dimensions and see what you get.

I see no downside to going 25 if that seems right to you. This is not a rod where you're worrying about every hundredth of an ounce . Keep going up on the software line pound test to get it to yield a size 25 and see what the placement recommendation is.

Date: July 12, 2020 06:45AM

Using 14-17 mono yields a 25 at 22 inches + the other spacing recommendations.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 12, 2020 10:56AM

I don’t build a lot of surf rods and I really don’t know how large the Van Staal 150 is when compared to other reel sizes. In general, The larger the reel the further out you can push the stripper of a given size. However, too far can generate line slap, too close can give a steep line angle entering the stripper. So the best way to determine the right distance is to mock things up and test cast. If a Van Staal 150 is about the size of a 5000 size reel 21 to 23 inches be should ok, If larger you can push it out further. Braid is very forgiving and casts well even if the guide train is off a little. The 25H stripper would give you a little more versatility if changing reel size or line size and type.
Norm

Date: July 12, 2020 05:38PM

There should be a like button.

Posted by: Eric Roach (---.sub-174-255-65.myvzw.com)
Date: July 14, 2020 09:57AM

Thank you Michael & Norman for your responses.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster