I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

On a mission for Surf Perch
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: July 10, 2020 06:14PM

All,
I'm looking for a 10-11 foot blank to make a surf Perch Rod. I have a few already, but am obsessed and want to build one for myself. It needs to be able to cast 2-3 ounces, be fairly light weight (upper body was crushed badly and shoulders/neck
are in rough shape). I generally fish flat beaches and need to cast fairly far. I preemptively purchased an NFC SA 1064 as it was 60% off and could use it for a variety of builds. What are some other options out there? I looked at Rainshadow's Mooching/bar plunking blanks in the RX7 material and they look nice. Checked out different Lami blanks and other brands. Anyone have suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: On a mission for Surf Perch
Posted by: Dan Pentecost (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2020 08:07PM

Derick,

I ordered two of these MHX blanks from Mudhole for my Christmas present. [www.mudhole.com] I think they would be perfect for you. Really light spent the whole pandemic lockdown out on the beach catching pompano and whiting in front of my condo. I use 2-4oz sputnik sinkers and drop loop rigs. I have about a dozen different surf rods and by the end of the first couple weeks I was only taking those two out. Caught redfish, snook, sharks, perch, trout, rays.... all kind of stuff with them. I will buy and build a couple more this fall. I know they are a foot or two shorter than what you were asking... just thought I would throw in my two cents.

BTW...I have that NFC 1064 blank and it is great, but it is a big rod. Floppy toward the tip but the whole bottom section is stiff as a board. Much more suited to heavier fish in my opinion. Great rod though... Don't want to put them down at all I actually have 12wt and 8wt fly rods coming that I bought during their sale last week. I just think that rod would be overkill for a perch.

Date: July 10, 2020 09:11PM

Sounds like a good rod, but we have to cast pretty far. The length is very beneficial. What is the weight on that blank?

Date: July 11, 2020 01:33AM

Has anyone fished the SU 1264f from Rainshadow?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 11, 2020 01:35PM

I just use my salmon/steelhead rods, your NFC blank ought to throw your weight and bait no problem. My 9 ft. salmon rod, that power, threw a 3 oz. weight clear out of a little league baseball diamond and on to the road using a Shimano TRN100G reel, it was a well used reel and has one bearing and no cast control of any kind.

Date: July 12, 2020 10:20PM

Spencer,
I just received the NFC blank in the mail and it will do for smaller swell. Has anyone had hands on the SU1087F and SA 1086f from MHX? They look very similar but there is a $40 price tag difference. How do they compare to each other?

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 13, 2020 02:53PM

Dan,
I bit the bullet and purchased the Su1087f. Spoke with mudhole and the blank seems to be just about right. Super light as well. I guess the SA1086F wasn't meant as a casting rod, but more of a boat rod. Going to build it using the KR Concept using a 20H 10H 5.5m reduction with 5.5s out to the tip and pair it with a Spinfisher 3000

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 15, 2020 11:18AM

Derrick,
Strangely Lamiglas just started making a species specific sea perch rod I have not seen before, I have no info on whether there is a blank available, but you could look at the specs and see if you think your in the same ballpark with your MHX.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster